Question About Media Organization
Hey Guys - 

I recently switched from Media Center Master to TinyMediaManager v3.  MCM just had too many bugs!  I've posted previously about features I'd like to see in TMMv3, but am posting now due to a new issue I wanted to get suggestions for.  Currently, my movies are in a individual folders named below - all located on a 46.5tb disk pool:
- Movies
- Movies - Collections
- Movies - New
- Movies - 3D
- Movies - Childrens
- Movies - Childrens Collections

The reason I have them in separate folders is...
- ... so that I could refresh/update "Movies - New" folder only when metadata tagging & renaming without having to refresh all 6,000+ titles
  (I wrote a script that automatically moves titles from "Movies - New" into "Movies" once it's 5 days old)
- ... wanting to have separate Plex libraries (Although the first 3 above are in a single plex library named "Movies" and last 2 are both in a single library named "Children's Movies")
- ... so that duplicate detection didn't mark 3D ones as I have many titles where I own both 3D & not 3D
- ... MCM configured collection by creating a folder per collection where it moved each title's folder plus stored collection metadata

The reason I'm posting is to get suggestions for if I should change any of the above organization since I'm now using TMMv3.  One issue I've found is that if TMM edits a title within "Movies - Collections", it moves it from it's collection folder into the root of "Movies - Collections".  Due to this, I've considered moving them all from their collection folders into the general "Movies" or "Movies - Children's" folders.

So... does anyone have suggestions for how to address the issues above and/or best organize and manage everything within TMM v3?  Thanks!!
- BzowK -
You can keep the structure as is.
Why not, it's a good approach, to have some movie sources separated.

Only with the collections folder, i'm unsure how/what is your structure there?

Collections are usually also called MovieSets, and a movie can only be part of ONE set.
But within renamer, you can create a folder pattern to include the movieset names as part of the path (or not).
So play aroud a bit with the varius patters and previews...

PS:
- MovieRenamer only renames inside same datasource
- there is a method in TMM v3, to move a movie from one datasource to another (without the need to delete and update)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?
(2019-04-03, 08:58)myron Wrote: You can keep the structure as is.
Why not, it's a good approach, to have some movie sources separated.

Only with the collections folder, i'm unsure how/what is your structure there?

Collections are usually also called MovieSets, and a movie can only be part of ONE set.
But within renamer, you can create a folder pattern to include the movieset names as part of the path (or not).
So play aroud a bit with the varius patters and previews...

PS:
- MovieRenamer only renames inside same datasource
- there is a method in TMM v3, to move a movie from one datasource to another (without the need to delete and update)
Thanks for the reply...

Both of the collections folders follow the same structure.  Below are a few examples followed by the issue I was describing within TMM...
  • D:\Media\Movies - Collections\Alien Collection\Alien [1979] 1080p\
  • D:\Media\Movies - Collections\Alien Collection\Aliens [1986] 1080p\
  • D:\Media\Movies - Collections (Childrens)\Cars Collection\Cars [2006] 1080p\
  • D:\Media\Movies - Collections (Childrens)\Cars Collection\Cars 2 [2011] 1080p\
The last folder for each above (Ex: "Alien [1979] 1080p") contains a single media file (the movie), trailer, and its metadata.  The collection folder (Ex: "Alien Collection") contains a small amount of metadata which MCM applied that consists of a number of backdrop.jpg, a single collection.xml, and single folder.jpg.  I currently have 143 collection folders (within Movies-Collections) and about a dozen inside Movies-Collections (Children's).  

Issue with Examples
If TMM adds/edits anything within the folder of a title within a collection including renaming, it moves it from the collection folder into the root of the collection folders.  For example, if it renames the folder "Alien [1979] 1080p", it moves it from the folder "Alien Collection" into "Movies - Collections".  Each of those two main collection folders are datasources in TMM as adding each of the ~160 individual collection folder would be difficult to manage.

The only reason I ever really put collections in the format above was because MCM suggested it as it applied collection metadata in the collection folder - none of my movie libraries reference any of the collection folders only.  I primarily use Plex and sometimes Kodi so not sure what if any difference that structure makes over how TMM tags collections.  Given the issue above plus how TMM tags things, I've considered doing away with the collection folders, but don't want to proceed then find out later I shouldn't have as it would be a ton of work getting it back to where it is now.

Thanks!
- BzowK -
maybe you miss the collection name token in the folder renamer pattern?
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
(2019-04-11, 13:26)mlaggner Wrote: maybe you miss the collection name token in the folder renamer pattern?

Good suggestion!  However - it may sound stupid, but I only keep titles in collection folders that I have multiple titles for.  My fear is that adding the collection token would work for the datasource with collections, but cause issues in the datasources which do not have collection folders for titles I only have 1 of a collection.  It would be great if it were possible to only have the token apply to specific datasources which would resolve the issue, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Again, the reason I separateds the collections was for MCM plus to cut down on # of folders in my Movies folder as I have 6,000+ titles.  I guess I could just consolidate the collections titles into their respective Movies / Children's Movies folders plus add the token to help consolidate the root folders. 

Finally, as mentioned; I have a "Movies-New" folder where new titles are placed so that I may tag them.  I move the Childrens titles via TMM, collection ones manually, then the rest are moved via script after X days into the main Movies folder.  The main reason for the "Movies-New" folder is so that I don't have to update all datasources to refresh TMM in order to tag new titles as it takes a while.  The con to this is that it really throws off apps like Radarr which is why I don't use it more.

Overall, if anyone sees why I shouldn't consolidate the collection folders as mentioned above - AND/OR - has alternative suggestions for getting new tittles to appear other than the "Movies-New" folder, please let me know.

Thanks, Guys!
- BzowK -

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question About Media Organization0