Should I move Kodi from a Raspberry Pi3 to a Revo Aspire R3610?
Hello.

I am currently running the latest version of Libreelec on a Raspberry Pi3, in my living room,  and use TVHeadend (on a separate headless server) for live and recorded TV.

I have also recently been given access to Sky Go, which I have to watch by running it off a laptop, connected to my TV via HDMI.

A few days ago, I remembered that I had a Acer Aspire Revo R3610 sitting in my loft (the model with 4GB Ram).

I am planning on sticking that on the back of my TV and running the Sky Go off that instead.

What I am now wondering is whether I now need the Raspberry Pi3 - should I just put Kodi on that, instead, so I can use a single device for everything or should I keep both devices?

In a nutshell, is there any advantage/disadvantage of running Kodi on the Revo instead of the Pi (in case it is relevant, the Pi is connected to my livingroom TV via a 5.1 a/v amp)?

The major downside is that the Revo is not silent, unlike the Pi, and uses about 10 times as much power - though still not very much.

What do you think?
If you already have the Revo box, it's easy for you to set it up, and compare yourself.
No need for us to go and guesstimate what the differences will be.

The Revo has Nvidia ION graphics, but it has a slow Atom CPU and the machine is already 9 years old. The RPi has more recently tested Kodi builds for it.
I have both.  I use the revo as a file / pvr server.  I'd be happy enough with it running libreelec (apart from it not playing all my files) but I'd say kodi and windows will be more hassle and less capable than using your pi3.  As above though - no harm in trying.
Thanks for that.

I shall see if I kind find the Revo and give it a whirl.

My main issue is going to be whether the specs of it are up to playing the Sky Go app.

Based upon this:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/Syst...-p/2842896

Things do not look too promising.
A Revo 3610 won't touch the SkyGo app, not even a little bit.  It would be alright with LibreELEC, but I doubt you'd notice much difference between it and an RPI3.  The only difference you'll notice is in your pocket as the Revo will use about 10 times the electricity of the Pi.

I have a Revo of that spec as a file server, running on Linux and it performs that role fantastically well and uses much less electricity than a full sized X86 machine.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Thanks for that - had a rather frustrating weekend testing everything out.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the Revo, stripped it of absolutely everything I could think of and also turned on the setting for maximum performance.

The Sky Go app did work but it was just too much for the Revo to make it comfortable to watch - it was borderline watchable, if you were really, really desperate.

I then had a brainwave - I installed Android x86 on the Revo, in the hope that I could use the Sky Go android app instead.  Everything worked much, much better until I tried to watch something and was told that Sky Go could not work on a rooted device.

Either I can find a way to unroot the install (not sure if that is even possible - I assume that as the x86 OS is fundamentally rooted to get it to work), or I shall have to accept that the Revo is pretty much redundant for me.

Whilst I agree that using the Revo as a file server is a very clever idea, I already have a similar thing set up with an Android HC2, which uses a fraction of the power.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I move Kodi from a Raspberry Pi3 to a Revo Aspire R3610?0