Reliable custom Kodi box?
Hello,

Is there any decent box with manufacturer-supported Kodi? So that the manufacturer fixes issues with fe. framerate switching for new Kodi versions? The only "extra" feature except Kodi would be running web browser for some streaming sites.

I am currently using Minix U9-H with v18.1 and have rather bad playback experience comparing to my old WD TV Live SMP 3rd gen. Plus the Minix hardware is really slow for web browsing and even sometimes in Kodi (I use Estuary MOD).
The Vero 4K+ comes to my mind.
(2019-04-07, 13:54)baza_dwa Wrote: Hello,

Is there any decent box with manufacturer-supported Kodi? So that the manufacturer fixes issues with fe. framerate switching for new Kodi versions? The only "extra" feature except Kodi would be running web browser for some streaming sites.

I am currently using Minix U9-H with v18.1 and have rather bad playback experience comparing to my old WD TV Live SMP 3rd gen. Plus the Minix hardware is really slow for web browsing and even sometimes in Kodi (I use Estuary MOD).

1) You should Not use any ARM based chipset Android device for Web browsing, especially for video playback. Results are going to be really poor, as you have already found out, no matter which device you get.

Use a modern tablet or mini Intel PC for Web browsing. And it's not going to be that cheap.
Most of us hate Web browsing on a TV when sitting in a lounge chair, I personally find it a terrible, disconnected, difficult experience.

2) Your MINIX U9 will work really well when you buy a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 U1 (and SD card adapter) and flash CoreELEC Kodi Leia to it. This can even be a Dual Boot setup.
Carefully follow install instructions found:
https://coreelec.org

Be aware you need to select Whitelist Resolutions and Refresh rates in Android Kodi v18 Leia - Settings > System for auto refresh switch to operate.
And yes it all works properly on the MINIX U9 if setup correctly.
You have to stick with stable Android Marshmallow 6.x Firmware on that device for that to work.

(2019-04-07, 18:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-07, 13:54)baza_dwa Wrote: Hello,

1) You should Not use any ARM based chipset Android device for Web browsing, especially for video playback. Results are going to be really poor, as you have already found out, no matter which device you get.

Use a modern tablet or mini Intel PC for Web browsing. And it's not going to be that cheap.
Most of us hate Web browsing on a TV when sitting in a lounge chair, I personally find it a terrible, disconnected, difficult experience.

2) Your MINIX U9 will work really well when you buy a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 U1 (and SD card adapter) and flash CoreELEC Kodi Leia to it. This can even be a Dual Boot setup.
Carefully follow install instructions found:
https://coreelec.org

Be aware you need to select Whitelist Resolutions and Refresh rates in Android Kodi v18 Leia - Settings > System for auto refresh switch to operate.
And yes it all works properly on the MINIX U9 if setup correctly.
You have to stick with stable Android Marshmallow 6.x Firmware on that device for that to work. 
As for web browsing, it's just getting to a video and running it - like in Youtube.

So, all in all, I need to move to x86 platform.
With Android I have AVI issues and low browsing performance, and it won't get better in both ways. *ELECs on ARM don't have web browser.

Shucks, I could have bought any lame S905 box to learn this instead paying twice as much for Minix :/

Thanks anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reliable custom Kodi box?0