Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series
(2020-06-20, 10:06)black_eagle Wrote: albumartists should contain all of the artists on an album except where the album artist is various artists when it too should be set to that.

For instance, the 'Live in Australia" album by Elton John (https://musicbrainz.org/release/c4c14129...0feaaf64ac ) has the artist and album artist set to 'Elton John with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra' but the albumartists tag is set to 'Elton John;Melbourne Symphony Orchestra'.  Do note that when editing this tag in Picard each artist is listed on a separate line but that it will show in the tag listing with the semi-colon separator.  Whether this is actually what is written into the tag I haven't looked to see but it doesn't matter any way as Picard will write the tags correctly in a format that Kodi will read.  Therefore, users don't really need to know what the actual separator is.

All you really need to know is that you have to set that little bit of scripting in Picard so that it can take care of writing that tag for you.  Then, when you scan that album into Kodi you will get two artists, Elton John and Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.  The album will be listed under Elton John, along with any other of his albums, and also listed under Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (along with any other albums they might feature on).

Try not to worry too much about what goes in what tag and just let Picard do the work for you.  Unless you have good reasons to there is generally no need to re-edit the tags before saving the album after Picard has fetched the tag data.
Much as I like Picard though I want to be able using hte mutagen library to manage tags in scripts.To wit I am curious and don't wish to delegate everything to Picard. I would use Picard to experiment and learn ;-). You see Picard is fine for tagging an album. But I have a library of such proportions it takes an overnight script run just to scan the thing, and applying tag correction rules I do with scripts. Spot issues I cna do in a GUI like Picard.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series - by ThumbOne - 2020-06-20, 11:01
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series0