How can I get Kodi to decode AC3 from an USB input?
I have a MiniDSP U-DIO8 connected to the USB port of a 2018 Mac Mini running Kodi 18.1-RC1 on Mojave 10.14.4. The U-DIO8 provides 8 output channels as 4xSPDIF connections and similarly 8 channels of input as 4xSPDIF connections.
Kodi has no problem decoding AC3 and DTS media and sending them out the 8 output channels to my active speakers. This works very well.

What I want to do is stream the AC3 audio from my smart TV, via one of the input SPDIF connections, to Kodi to be decoded and sent to the speakers.

I have tried routing software such as Soundflower and Rogue Amoeba's Loopback but they did not see Kodi as a destination only as a source.
I have searched everywhere and found no reference on how to do this. Is this because it is impossible or just obscure or I am the first the try this?
Not possible and really trying to rape a media center imo.
Why should kodi be able to do this?

Normally you should go optical from tv to an amp and be done with it. No software involved at all ...

I think what you want to do makes no sense. You want to use kodi as audio decoder in between your tv and amp while he amp should already have an audio decoder built in.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2019-04-11, 20:33)Memphiz Wrote: Not possible and really trying to rape a media center imo.
Why should kodi be able to do this?

Normally you should go optical from tv to an amp and be done with it. No software involved at all ...

I think what you want to do makes no sense. You want to use kodi as audio decoder in between your tv and amp while he amp should already have an audio decoder built in.

I do not have an external preamplifier nor an external amplifier. The output from Kodi goes directly as SPDIF to the front and rear active speakers thanks to the U-DIO8. Kodi is my preamplifier/processor.
Hence only way to get to all the speakers is via Kodi.
I can get PCM stereo from the TV going to the fronts by just passing the input channels to the output. However, to get surround I need to input AC3 for Kodi to decode.
Beside why should this rape Kodi. This could be a addon that routes any input to the decoder. This will just improve it.
There is no audio input in kodi at all and I still think that using kodi as audio decoder is not what it is intended for. But the answer is still true - not possible with kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can I get Kodi to decode AC3 from an USB input?0