Ubuntu 18.04 apt does not upgrade kodi 17 to the new 18
I was hoping to upgrade my kodi 17 that I had installed with apt-get on my Ubuntu 18.04 to kodi 18.
I run apt update/upgrade but it does not seem to get upgraded.

Am I missing something?
Are you using Kodi's own PPA or did you download the Ubuntu Store variant of Kodi?
(2019-04-14, 23:42)Klojum Wrote: Are you using Kodi's own PPA or did you download the Ubuntu Store variant of Kodi?

I (think) I had installed it from the Software appointed the desk top
(2019-04-15, 11:43)Penbrock Wrote:
(2019-04-14, 23:42)Klojum Wrote: Are you using Kodi's own PPA or did you download the Ubuntu Store variant of Kodi?

I (think) I had installed it from the Software appointed the desk top

It does say "kodi from Debian " on the main screen if that tells you anything
Yep... That's Ubuntu, not the Kodi PPA. See https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux for details.
(2019-04-15, 12:11)Klojum Wrote: Yep... That's Ubuntu, not the Kodi PPA. See https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux for details.

Guess I'm ment to stay on 17. I followed the directions and it just locked up the whole computer when I try to start it.
So uninstall and remove the apt source it created and back to reloading the old one.

Thanks for the help all.
(2019-04-16, 02:50)Penbrock Wrote: Guess I'm ment to stay on 17. I followed the directions and it just locked up the whole computer when I try to start it.

I doubt that this issues comes from the version you installed. As nearly everyone who is using Ubuntu uses the version from our ppa. If you follow the instructions step by step you should end up with a nice Kodi 18 installation. The version you are using is somewhat unsupported in here as it says "Kodi from Debian" which means that Debian patched that Kodi version. So we have to say that this Kodi version is different from ours and supporting that is nearly impossible. So we highly recommend to use the version from our ppa. There's a good chance that Ubuntu 18.04 will never ship Kodi 18 Leia and your Kodi version you are using is considered outdated.
If everything works fine, then there's for sure no need to change it. But if you are facing issues (e. g. the webinterface which is known broken in the Kodi version you are using) we can't help you or fix that.
(2019-04-16, 11:27)DaVu Wrote:
(2019-04-16, 02:50)Penbrock Wrote: Guess I'm ment to stay on 17. I followed the directions and it just locked up the whole computer when I try to start it.

I doubt that this issues comes from the version you installed. As nearly everyone who is using Ubuntu uses the version from our ppa. If you follow the instructions step by step you should end up with a nice Kodi 18 installation. The version you are using is somewhat unsupported in here as it says "Kodi from Debian" which means that Debian patched that Kodi version. So we have to say that this Kodi version is different from ours and supporting that is nearly impossible. So we highly recommend to use the version from our ppa. There's a good chance that Ubuntu 18.04 will never ship Kodi 18 Leia and your Kodi version you are using is considered outdated.
If everything works fine, then there's for sure no need to change it. But if you are facing issues (e. g. the webinterface which is known broken in the Kodi version you are using) we can't help you or fix that. 

I have looked and do not see any system requirements that are new for 18 so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm thinking it is that something didn't get removed from 17 when I removed it. Is there anywhere else parts are left behind? I deleted the .kodi from my home directory after running apt remove kodi and kodi-*  (it wouldn't take just kodi*)
you should do:

sudo apt purge kodi\*

that will remove everything Kodi-related what you might have installed via apt from the Ubuntu repo. Normally you don't need to remove the .kodi folder. But it's recommended to keep an update in case something goes wrong. So I would suggest to:

cp -R ~/.kodi ~/kodi-backup

After that is done, you should add the ppa:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

after that perform an update:

sudo apt update

after that, install Kodi

sudo apt install kodi

That should get you Kodi 18
(2019-04-16, 13:54)DaVu Wrote: you should do:

sudo apt purge kodi\*

that will remove everything Kodi-related what you might have installed via apt from the Ubuntu repo. Normally you don't need to remove the .kodi folder. But it's recommended to keep an update in case something goes wrong. So I would suggest to:

cp -R ~/.kodi ~/kodi-backup

After that is done, you should add the ppa:

sudo apt update

after that, install Kodi

sudo apt install kodi

That should get you Kodi 18

It all sounds so easy until the first "APT" lol.
Thanks I didn't PRUGE last time. I'll try it again this weekend when the wife will let me break it again Smile
Well, I HAVE to have something going on with my OS install.
I had an old PC at the office that I had loaded Kodi on so I tried those simple steps and BAM 18 fires right off.
I come home tonight. Same comands and black screen. keyboard is locked up but I do have mouse movement on the screen. I again had to power it down, purge the kodi, remove the ppa and reinstall the normal apt-get version (17) and the old version  came right up.

Maybe the next step is a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install
Well I still have issues with the one install. But if anyone else runs in to this issue I found the fix for one of my installs.

Before running the above commands run
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
My friends... would like to install kodi 18.x into raspberry pi 4 model b with ubuntu 19.10 with ubuntu mate desktop (it runs ok!)

My mistake to install kodi without xbmc repo... so i did

Code:
sudo apt-get install kodi

and i got kodi 17 krypton

Got here and did this steps:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge kodi\*

after that I had to upgrade 2 packages that apt-get told me to upgrade (apport and python3...)

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then add the repo:

Code:

Code:
sudo apt update

after that, install Kodi

Code:
sudo apt install kodi

And I'm getting this:

Code:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kodi : Depends: kodi-x11 (< 2:18.6+git20200301.1506-final-0eoan.1~) but it is not installable
        Depends: libshairplay0 but it is not installable
        Recommends: i965-va-driver but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-peripheral-joystick but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-inputstream-adaptive but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-inputstream-rtmp but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

what am I doing wrong? thnx!
Sorry about my previous post, I cannot delete it or edit it ...

My friends... would like to install kodi 18.x into raspberry pi 4 model b with ubuntu 19.10 with ubuntu mate desktop (it runs ok!)

My mistake to install kodi without xbmc repo... so i did

Code:
sudo apt-get install kodi

and i got kodi 17 krypton

Got here and did this steps:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge kodi\*

after that I had to upgrade 2 packages that apt-get told me to upgrade (apport and python3...)

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then add the repo:

Code:

Code:
sudo apt update

after that, try to install Kodi

Code:
sudo apt install kodi

And I'm getting this:

Code:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kodi : Depends: kodi-x11 (< 2:18.6+git20200301.1506-final-0eoan.1~) but it is not installable
        Depends: libshairplay0 but it is not installable
        Recommends: i965-va-driver but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-peripheral-joystick but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-inputstream-adaptive but it is not installable
        Recommends: kodi-inputstream-rtmp but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

what am I doing wrong? thnx!
(2020-03-14, 14:36)dabezt Wrote: My friends... would like to install kodi 18.x into raspberry pi 4 model b with ubuntu 19.10 with ubuntu mate desktop (it runs ok!)

Team Kodi does not have PPA support for Ubuntu ARM distros for Raspberry Pi's.
If you want Kodi 18 on a RPi4, then you currently have the following options, AFAIK:
- LibreELEC 9.2.1 (Kodi 18.6)
- Raspbian Buster (Kodi 18.5 for now)
- OSMC ( (Kodi 18.x)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 18.04 apt does not upgrade kodi 17 to the new 180