v18 HDR on Kodi and or MPC HC BE?
So is HDR now on Kodi 18 supported yes or no? As it said something about in the patch notes.

Also Media Player Classic - Black Edition 1.5.3 also says support for HDR metadata...
I try movies with both players no HDR...

I just want a seamless experience. MADVR and all this other mumbo jumbo is not working for me.. Any suggestions?
On Windows Kodi doesn't support HDR metadata.  HDR content will be converted to SDR.  This is much better than on 17 but its not HDR output, if thats what you're after

If you want true HDR output you need to either use an external player with something like MadVR.  DSPlayer edition looks like a dead end now so can't really recommend it

Proper dynamic HDR switching with MadVR currently requires a nVidia GPU.  Windows should be set to standard SDR output and MadVR should switch to HDR mode when you play HDR content

If you want a seamless easy experience either:
Stick to SDR content
Use a device like nVidia shield that can switch nicely as required, its just a mess at the moment on Windows; this isn't Kodi's fault that Windows doesn't provide an easy interface for HDR switching
(2019-04-17, 19:27)jools5000 Wrote: On Windows Kodi doesn't support HDR metadata.  HDR content will be converted to SDR.  This is much better than on 17 but its not HDR output, if thats what you're after

If you want true HDR output you need to either use an external player with something like MadVR.  DSPlayer edition looks like a dead end now so can't really recommend it

Proper dynamic HDR switching with MadVR currently requires a nVidia GPU.  Windows should be set to standard SDR output and MadVR should switch to HDR mode when you play HDR content

If you want a seamless easy experience either:
Stick to SDR content
Use a device like nVidia shield that can switch nicely as required, its just a mess at the moment on Windows; this isn't Kodi's fault that Windows doesn't provide an easy interface for HDR switching
I have RTX 2080. 
And I have a device for that. but my ambilight won't work with that. So it has to be PC.

MPC BE Changelog says:
Added support for HDR Light Level (atom 'clli').
Added support for HDR metadata (atom 'mdcv')

So it should work without madvr then no?
That could just be the internal video decoder. You still need madVR to access the Nvidia video drivers used to passthrough the HDR metadata.
Try the MPC set up guides in the Tips & Tricks section. It isn't that difficult to enable HDR passthrough.
(2019-04-18, 06:03)Warner306 Wrote: That could just be the internal video decoder. You still need madVR to access the Nvidia video drivers used to passthrough the HDR metadata.

Uh okay. but you always needed that. So what's the difference now?
And you don't sound too sure? If someone knows for sure what MPC BE added with this "hdr metadata"?
HDR metadata is used for tone mapping to a SDR display, so maybe thatHuh
Looking at this its only tonemapping, you still need MadVR for HDR output
https://sourceforge.net/p/mpcbe/tickets/380/

Its not hard to set it up
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596

Best place to start is to ignore Kodi and get MPC running and switching to HDR mode, its then pretty easy to add it as an external player
(2019-04-18, 14:42)jools5000 Wrote: Looking at this its only tonemapping, you still need MadVR for HDR output

Best place to start is to ignore Kodi and get MPC running and switching to HDR mode, its then pretty easy to add it as an external player
How do I know for sure the HDR experience is the same as on my Minix uh-9 neo media device.
With all of these 100's options to controll image quality and performance...
(2019-04-18, 16:02)chrisssj2 Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 14:42)jools5000 Wrote: Looking at this its only tonemapping, you still need MadVR for HDR output

How do I know for sure the HDR experience is the same as on my Minix uh-9 neo media device.

Look at it this way... Many of us had a choice to use one of these shelf devices but ultimately we chose to use a PC with Windows complimented with a video card.  We were constantly humiliated by the anti HTPC crowed selling devices like yours early on but we understood the groundwork would pay off big time.  We wanted a seamless experience and made it happen incorporating a few different front end choices with or without external players.  Now with components such as madVR, the HTPC has once again become the superior choice.  You may call this "mumbo jumbo" that didn't work for you.  We call it perfection. 

The shelf devices still linger for the lazy who don't care about diversity, ownership, or quality and let's face it, the latest generations are the laziest in history.  That and declare entitlements, off the backs of others, are insufficient and demand answers when the actual answer is...  you didn't put any sweat equity into your goal and your results reflected.  The fact is, some of us anticipated this laziness and created picture book guides making all of this as simple as can be.  Now the shelf device vs HTPC argument has progressed to the HTPC offers too much because of the 100's of choices and being lazy these 100's of choices are too daunting?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-04-18, 17:22)brazen1 Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 16:02)chrisssj2 Wrote:

Look at it this way... Many of us had a choice to use one of these shelf devices but ultimately we chose to use a PC with Windows complimented with a video card.  We were constantly humiliated by the anti HTPC crowed selling devices like yours early on but we understood the groundwork would pay off big time.  We wanted a seamless experience and made it happen incorporating a few different front end choices with or without external players.  Now with components such as madVR, the HTPC has once again become the superior choice.  You may call this "mumbo jumbo" that didn't work for you.  We call it perfection. 

The shelf devices still linger for the lazy who don't care about diversity, ownership, or quality and let's face it, the latest generations are the laziest in history.  That and declare entitlements, off the backs of others, are insufficient and demand answers when the actual answer is...  you didn't put any sweat equity into your goal and your results reflected.  The fact is, some of us anticipated this laziness and created picture book guides making all of this as simple as can be.  Now the shelf device vs HTPC argument has progressed to the HTPC offers too much because of the 100's of choices and being lazy these 100's of choices are too daunting? 
Give me a clear cut answer or just dont bother..
Im not gonna spend 100's of hours on this. I assume people already have done this.
This is not being lazy. This is just sharing your knowledge. Don't be an ass.
So to anyone that can tell me how I can get the same experience as on one of HTPC's HDR please tell me and ill copy your settings of madvr.
How much clear cut can it be?  WE spent hundreds of hours for YOU providing guides so YOU wouldn't have to spend the same hundreds of hours WE did.  And this is asinine?

I don't even understand your last sentence mumble?  If you're willing to learn something, read a guide, mine or any of the others freely and widely available.  If you want someone to hold your hand, you're off to a bad start.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
The guide jools linked to is pretty straightforward. In madVR, check "passthrough hdr to display" under hdr.

Did you even buy this HDR content you are so demanding about? Ripping UHD Blu-rays alone is not that simple.
(2019-04-18, 19:49)brazen1 Wrote: How much clear cut can it be?  WE spent hundreds of hours for YOU providing guides so YOU wouldn't have to spend the same hundreds of hours WE did.  And this is asinine?

I don't even understand your last sentence mumble?  If you're willing to learn something, read a guide, mine or any of the others freely and widely available.  If you want someone to hold your hand, you're off to a bad start.

Why should everyone "learn" how to tinker with every single setting? Stop force your belief on others? Some just want plug and play experience. If you think thats lazy. That is fine. Which could be true or untrue. But youre def not helping here.
You don't know someone's reasons/circumstances.
(2019-04-19, 03:34)chrisssj2 Wrote: Some just want plug and play experience.
I would think Kodi out of the box fills that bill. Once you get into customization's and substituting with 3rd party players it takes a certain level of expertise which we outline in our wiki's. This forum is support for Kodi on windows and not the mechanics of code replacement. External players are an advanced usage of the software, the road map is clear, Kodi will support new features and functions, either you have patience for development or are willing to envelop wiki's and tolerate some member abuse.  A Google search using the terms " MPC-HC HDR" brought many pages on MPC-HC and HDR is still supported by some of it's users and I recently updated. Check here for platforms that are good to go for HDR https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR on Kodi and or MPC HC BE?0