No Auto Framerate Switching on Fire TV Stick 4K
Hello,

I just got a brand new Fire TV Stick 4K, which I have set to automatically switch the framerate in the Fire TV Video options. In Kodi, I have set the video auto framerate switching as well, but my display is always at 60Hz, no matter which content I play (tried 50p and 24p) content.

Which settings exactly do I have to make in order that auto framerate swirching works with Kodi 18 and the Fire TV 4K?
(2019-04-18, 18:28)Jackie78 Wrote: Hello,

I just got a brand new Fire TV Stick 4K, which I have set to automatically switch the framerate in the Fire TV Video options. In Kodi, I have set the video auto framerate switching as well, but my display is always at 60Hz, no matter which content I play (tried 50p and 24p) content.

Which settings exactly do I have to make in order that auto framerate swirching works with Kodi 18 and the Fire TV 4K?

In settings>player>videos set adjust display refresh rate to on start/stop.

I also set kodi to 1080p resolution in settings>system>display
(2019-04-18, 18:28)Jackie78 Wrote: I just got a brand new Fire TV Stick 4K, which I have set to automatically switch the framerate in the Fire TV Video options. In Kodi, I have set the video auto framerate switching as well, but my display is always at 60Hz, no matter which content I play (tried 50p and 24p) content.

You have to add display modes (resolution and frame rate) to the "whitelist" in Kodi settings.
(2019-04-18, 23:38)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 18:28)Jackie78 Wrote: I just got a brand new Fire TV Stick 4K, which I have set to automatically switch the framerate in the Fire TV Video options. In Kodi, I have set the video auto framerate switching as well, but my display is always at 60Hz, no matter which content I play (tried 50p and 24p) content.

You have to add display modes (resolution and frame rate) to the "whitelist" in Kodi settings.  

Thanks, the strange thing is that these allowed resolutions (i.e. display whitelist) disappear from time to time allowing only one selection, only 1920x1080x59,xxHz is selectable. This stays until I change *something* in the fire TV stick (not Kodi) display-settings, i.e switch from always HDR to no HDR and back, but it only persists until I start my TV next. So something makes the allowed resolutions disappear, why does that happen?
You want the Fire TVs HDR setting to Adaptive.
(2019-04-20, 22:11)Hitcher Wrote: You want the Fire TVs HDR setting to Adaptive.

Maybe similar problem ? 
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341198
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340782
(2019-04-20, 22:11)Hitcher Wrote: You want the Fire TVs HDR setting to Adaptive.

No, this helps, but only once. as soon as something is restarted, the problem occurs again until you change something in the fire TV settings, really odd behaviour and probably a FireTV problem, since this not only affects Kodi Sad Any way to issue a bug report to Amazon devs?
Did this ever get fixed?
(2020-03-23, 21:00)meccs Wrote: Did this ever get fixed?

No amazon did not publish a new firmware that fixed this issue. If it happens, you cannot even switch modes in internal FireTV settings. File a bug with amazon.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-03-23, 23:40)fritsch Wrote:

No amazon did not publish a new firmware that fixed this issue. If it happens, you cannot even switch modes in internal FireTV settings. File a bug with amazon.

I have now connected my stick to the TV Set directly, and now auto Framerate works, but unfortunately not on all apps.

Apps that work for me are Kodi, Amazon Video, Netflix and a few others.

Apps that do not work are the German "Mediathek" apps (from Das erste as well as ZDF Mediathek), and also TVNow obviously does not support this. Can anybody (from Germany mainly) confirm that these apps do not support the auto framerate feature yet? Is there any overview available which apps do support this?

I wonder generally why this topic gets so little attention, since everybody cares about 12BIt, HDR, 4K and all that stuff, but screen stuttering is okay for those people? I'd always prefer a smooth FullHD using correct framerate over any 8K HDR 12 Bit coloor depth video played back using the wrong framerate...
(2020-10-12, 10:07)Jackie78 Wrote:
(2020-03-23, 23:40)fritsch Wrote:

I have now connected my stick to the TV Set directly, and now auto Framerate works, but unfortunately not on all apps.

Apps that work for me are Kodi, Amazon Video, Netflix and a few others.

Apps that do not work are the German "Mediathek" apps (from Das erste as well as ZDF Mediathek), and also TVNow obviously does not support this. Can anybody (from Germany mainly) confirm that these apps do not support the auto framerate feature yet? Is there any overview available which apps do support this?

I wonder generally why this topic gets so little attention, since everybody cares about 12BIt, HDR, 4K and all that stuff, but screen stuttering is okay for those people? I'd always prefer a smooth FullHD using correct framerate over any 8K HDR 12 Bit coloor depth video played back using the wrong framerate...

It’s because the Septic Tanks aka Yanks mainly only have to deal with 24, 29.97 and 59.94 refresh rates which works perfectly fine with the TV’s they use.

Especially if their modern TV’s can do judder free 24p:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

Complications arise for those of us in UK, Europe and Australasia that also need 25/50fps support, and we definitely do care about smooth video playback especially for 50fps sport that has lots of wide camera panning playback.
Plus smooth video playback for 24p Netflix and Prime Video etc on the same device.

Ultimately the best you can do is set output to either 2160p or 1080p 50Hz for local Apps video content and then hope your media player’s Apps auto Frame Rate Match/Switch TV refresh rates for 24p video.

And the best for that is the Apple TV 4K.

The worst is Android TV.

The FireTV devices are somewhere between the two.

Quote:Thanks, the strange thing is that these allowed resolutions (i.e. display whitelist) disappear from time to time allowing only one selection, only 1920x1080x59,xxHz is selectable. This stays until I change *something* in the fire TV stick (not Kodi) display-settings, i.e switch from always HDR to no HDR and back, but it only persists until I start my TV next. So something makes the allowed resolutions disappear, why does that happen?

I wish I'd found this thread earlier, it would have saved me an hour of plugging and unplugging and testing Undecided

I had frame rate switching working perfectly yesterday, and then this morning it stopped working. All selectable resolutions disappeared just as you say. In the end I fixed it, exactly as you say, by changing something in the fire stick settings (bit depth, in my case). After that frame rate switching started working again!

The only issue I have now is that the full list of resolutions and frame rates my TV supports cannot be whitelisted - when I compare against a PC connected to the same HDMI input I only get a handful of choices on the firestick but hundreds on the PC.
(2020-10-19, 14:45)davew_uk Wrote: In the end I fixed it, exactly as you say, by changing something in the fire stick settings (bit depth, in my case
That's how I fixed it too. You have to find what bit depth your TV supports and set the 4K Stick to that.
I am from Germany, too. So mostly, if i watch TV (IPVT with Zattoo) or soccer streams they are all running 25/50 fps why i would go for fixed 4k50Hz setting in the fire tv stick menu. But this would mean, that Framerateswitching won't work anymore if you use a fixed resolution.

So is there any way to at least get Kodi to match framrates even though frameswitching is turned of in the fire tv sticks menu?
I had the same issue with my new Fire TV cube.
I think I solved this problem completly. I told my cube the HDMI port of my AV-Receiver. Now I can switch off and on my TV and all whitelisted resolutions are still available in Kodi. 

Maybe this helps some of you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Auto Framerate Switching on Fire TV Stick 4K0