Limited Color Range Setting
Since updating to Kodi 18 I haven't been able to find the setting to use limited color range. Has this option been moved or deleted, or am I just not seeing it?
It’s still under settings - system - video - ensure to set settings to expert level to see them all.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2019-04-20, 12:06)Memphiz Wrote: It’s still under settings - system - video - ensure to set settings to expert level to see them all.
I have expert settings enabled. Under system I don't have Video as an option, did you mean Display? I have Video as an option under Player but there is no option for limited color under either.

you are Right - it vanished on macOS for some reasons I am trying to figure out ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2019-04-21, 19:56)Memphiz Wrote: you are Right - it vanished on macOS for some reasons I am trying to figure out ...
If you need someone to test a build or anything, I'm happy to help.
This is the answer from the dev that removed the setting for macOS:

Code:
limited range in Kodi is actually a hack that is not possible by design of gl, video drivers, and TVs. GL is full range by design and has no means to pass through limited range. That means if video driver is configured for limited range, it will convert GL's full range to limited range and lose head/foot room. If video driver is configured for full range RGB and works properly, it will send an info frame and the TV configures for full range too.
Limited range works on Linux with Intel drivers if TV ignores info frame.

This means it didn‘t do the right thing on macOS and was removed.

You should get proper results if you set your tv to full range rgb though I think. That’s how I read it.
Some TV's (and most newer TV's in my experience) you can manully set the color range. So you can set it to expect limited range although the PC/Mac sends fullrange. (then you switch on limited range inside Kodi and get the best picture). Mac's will probably default to limited range component signal though HDTVs. Try google "force rgb osx". 

Anyways, I think it was wrong to remove this option for OSX builds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Limited Color Range Setting0