Symbol lookup error
Hi!

On Ubuntu 18.04 with a fresh Kodi installation from the default repository I can't get Kodi to run.

It always stops with this error:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11: undefined symbol: _ZNK6TagLib6StringeqEPKc

Any ideas?

/Paul
We prefer to see the full debug log (wiki), not a single line to a big puzzle.
(2019-04-21, 14:32)Klojum Wrote: We prefer to see the full debug log (wiki), not a single line to a big puzzle.

The log is posted at: https://paste.kodi.tv/kegucadayi.kodi

/Paul
No that's a snippet. To do things properly a full and unedited log is needed, as there's important device information at the start plus other possibly relevant information later.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-04-21, 15:53)DarrenHill Wrote: No that's a snippet. To do things properly a full and unedited log is needed, as there's important device information at the start plus other possibly relevant information later.
Hi folks!

The exact same error continues on a fresh 19.04 installation. Since it crashes immediately the directory ~/.kodi never is created and hence no logs can be obtained. From command line i t always end with:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11: undefined symbol: _ZNK6TagLib6StringeqEPKc

Any ideas?

/Paul
(2019-08-15, 23:53)pabe1250 Wrote: Hi folks!

The exact same error continues on a fresh 19.04 installation. Since it crashes immediately the directory ~/.kodi never is created and hence no logs can be obtained. From command line i t always end with:

Any ideas?

/Paul

How did you install kodi on the machine?

That symbol is in TagLib. libtag1v5 is a dependency of the kodi-x11 package, and libtag1v5-vanilla which contains libtag.so.1.17.0
is a dependency of libtag1v5. Something went wrong with your installation, and the dependency is missing.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
The Debug Log is useless in this case, cause the installation is broken. Provide:

dpkg -l | grep kodi
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-08-16, 07:02)fritsch Wrote: The Debug Log is useless in this case, cause the installation is broken. Provide:

dpkg -l | grep kodi

This is what the command returns:
Code:
ii  kodi                                       2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        all          Kodi Media Center (arch-independent data package)
ii  kodi-addons-dev:amd64                      2:17.6+dfsg1-4ubuntu2                       amd64        Open Source Home Theatre (Addons Dev package)
ii  kodi-eventclients-common                   2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        all          Kodi Media Center (Event Client Common package)
ii  kodi-eventclients-dev                      2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        all          Kodi Media Center (Event Client Dev package)
ii  kodi-eventclients-kodi-send                2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        all          Kodi Media Center (Event Client Kodi-SEND package)
ii  kodi-eventclients-ps3                      2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        all          Kodi Media Center (Event Client PS3 package)
ii  kodi-eventclients-wiiremote                2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        amd64        Kodi Media Center (Event Client WII Remote support package)
ii  kodi-inputstream-adaptive                  2.3.22-1~disco                              amd64        adaptive inputstream addon for Kodi
ii  kodi-peripheral-joystick                   1.4.7-1~disco                               amd64        Joystick peripheral addon for Kodi
ii  kodi-pvr-iptvsimple                        3.5.8-1~disco                               amd64        Simple IPTV PVR for Kodi
ii  kodi-pvr-mythtv                            5.10.7-1~disco                              amd64        MythTV PVR for Kodi
ii  kodi-visualization-spectrum:amd64          1.1.1-1ubuntu2                              amd64        Spectrum visualizer addon for Kodi
ii  kodi-x11                                   2:18.3+git20190621.1610-final-0disco        amd64        Kodi Media Center for X11 (binary data package)
(2019-08-16, 02:13)yasij Wrote:
(2019-08-15, 23:53)pabe1250 Wrote: Hi folks!

Any ideas?

/Paul

How did you install kodi on the machine?

That symbol is in TagLib. libtag1v5 is a dependency of the kodi-x11 package, and libtag1v5-vanilla which contains libtag.so.1.17.0
is a dependency of libtag1v5. Something went wrong with your installation, and the dependency is missing.  

Hi!

It was installed through following the common guide:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

However some months ago when I was "fiddeling" with Kodi on 18.04 I also tried compiling from source and making a "sudo make install", but it always hung on some 80 %.

The error above has always been present whatever I've been trying to do.

According to your suggestion I reinstalled libtag1v5 and libtag1v5-vanilla and make sure that libtag.so.1.17.0 is present on the system.

/Paul
(2019-08-16, 12:28)pabe1250 Wrote: It was installed through following the common guide:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
What else did you do after that? Somehow you also have kodi-visualization-spectrum and kodi-addons-dev installed which ship in the Ubuntu base repository and are built against their version of kodi.

Try this:
bash:

sudo apt purge kodi-addons-dev kodi-visualization-spectrum
sudo apt install -f
I finally found a solution for my problem. It turns out to be quite simple.

When trying to compile Kodi a few versions of libtag was created in /usr/local/lib/

Then when installing Kodi from the default repository new (correct) versions of libtag in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

However when trying to start Kodi the versions in /usr/local/lib/ have a priority and therefore are loaded and causing Kodi a symbol lookup error.

Just do "rm /usr/local/lib/libtag*" and you are good to go!

If problems persists just reinstall Kodi.

/Paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Symbol lookup error0