Req Parental controls: Restrictions contents based on its age rating.
Video 
Hello
Parental controls feature allow parents to set controls on their children's use.
Please add a feature to block content based on its age rating. (like iTunes store)

Thread moved to feature requests
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Kodi supports this already for live TV/PVR

For media files, wouldn't this be trivial for somebody to get around?

I would suggest you look at creating a restricted profile for your kids https://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles

You could setup the sources so they do not see the locations with inappropriate content etc
(2019-04-21, 15:41)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to feature requests

Thanks
(2019-04-21, 16:47)jools5000 Wrote: Kodi supports this already for live TV/PVR

I would suggest you look at creating a restricted profile for your kids https://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles

You could setup the sources so they do not see the locations with inappropriate content etc

Thanks
(2019-04-21, 16:47)jools5000 Wrote: Kodi supports this already for live TV/PVR

I have to say that while the OP here seems to have accepted this answer, I am among those who will not.

Sure, I could setup sources based on how I want to divide access, but why should I have to?  That's a DIY answer, and this is 2019.  Wouldn't it be better -- in fact, I'd call it "standard" for any entertainment consumption product, esp. today -- to at least semi-automate this job? Just like the OP's screenshot.

As a user, I don't want to have to worry about assessing exactly where I put every single movie in my file structure.  And maybe my base structure is not based on this aspect and I don't want to have to rearrange 1000 movies.  I would expect any current product with access to MPAA rating to easily allow me to dictate which profiles may view each movie based on those ratings.  Better yet (super-mega-bonus points), restrictions based on listed aspects of those ratings (e.g., maybe I want to restrict Sex but not Language).  We're supposed to have computers in order to do these things for us, not do it ourselves.

In short, Kodi cannot think of itself as an industry standard product without providing this feature.  It's simply below expectations.  Given how long it's been around, I am frankly shocked that this has not been provided long before now.  It's been requested for at least 5-6 years -- I found this easily: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=181979 . At least this request is only 6mo old.

So, I'll have to look elsewhere for now, but I'll keep tabs on whether Kodi finally gets to it and provides this necessary feature in the near future.
(2019-10-08, 00:37)WiiGame Wrote: We're supposed to have computers in order to do these things for us, not do it ourselves.
Yes, but computers are not created already knowing how to do this. Someone has to code this and, frankly, no-one in this volunteer group of developers has shown the slightest interest in this feature.

(2019-10-08, 00:37)WiiGame Wrote: In short, Kodi cannot think of itself as an industry standard product without providing this feature
Kodi does not think of itself. But based on the number of products that have been forked from this original, it is not far off being what you say it is not

(2019-10-08, 00:37)WiiGame Wrote: Given how long it's been around, I am frankly shocked that this has not been provided long before now
A little hyperbolic?

Kodi is not an out of the box bells and whistles media centre. You want something... then skin it, or submit code, adjust settings, or adjust your file structure. Any number of ways of doing this yourself without demanding someone does it for you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Just wanting to pipe in that this would be an extremely welcome feature.  Of course, I don't expect (let alone demand) that Kodi devs will take an interest, but hope they might. (And soon … got a quickly growing – curious – boy…)  It truly doesn't seem like a difficult thing to code, given that there are already ratings for both movies and TV.  I'd love to be able to submit code myself as Karellen suggests, but for now that's beyond my capabilities.  

The basic concept would simply be on a profile, an on/off option to restrict content. The ratings themselves wouldn't even have to be in the GUI.  Could be in advanced settings, a list of ratings that are allowed.

For me, lacking this, I'll have to shut down Kodi completely with the master lock soon. Unfortunately reorganizing all my files would take weeks.  ×

×     ×

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental controls: Restrictions contents based on its age rating.0