Solved Various Artists duplicate from cuesheets
Hi,
    I'm having a problem with two "Various Artists" albums.

The first one is in the folder \..\Various Artists - An All Star Tribute To Pink Floyd The Everlasting Songs and the two files in it are a cuesheet and a flac one.
This is the cuesheet (which is relevant for tags, I suppose):
Quote:REM GENRE Psychedelic Rock
REM DATE 2015
REM DISCID 8D0E050B
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3"
PERFORMER "Various Artists"
TITLE "An All Star Tribute to Pink Floyd: The Everlasting Songs"
FILE "Various Artists - An All Star Tribute To Pink Floyd The Everlasting Songs.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hey You"
    PERFORMER "Tommy Shaw / Steve Lukather"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Speak To Me / Breathe"
    PERFORMER "Adrian Belew / Alan White"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 04:44:19

The other one is in the folder \..\Various Artists - The Many Faces of Pink Floyd. Same file types here but 3 cuesheets and 3 flac files.
Here is one (of the three cuesheets):
Quote:REM GENRE Psychedelic Rock
REM DISCID 690A4909
REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3
PERFORMER "Various Artists"
TITLE "The Many Faces of Pink Floyd"
FILE "Various Artists - The Many Faces of Pink Floyd CD1.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Speak To Me / Breathe"
    PERFORMER "Adrian Belew / Alan White"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "On The Run"
    PERFORMER "Larry Fast / Alan White"
    INDEX 01 05:35:16

The problem is when I scan those albums (using Universal Album Scraper, preferred language set to "it"): at the end of the scan, I found two entries in the Artist list: "Artisti vari" (which is the Italian translation of "Various Artist") for the first one and "Various Artists" for the other, like they were two different Artist.

This looks strange, since there should be only one entry in the Artist db: "Artisti vari" or "Various Artists".
Reading the Music Support forum seems that there are some glitch with "Various Artists". I tried removing / re-adding folders and cleaning music db but doesn't help.  

What I'm doing wrong?

My system: Raspberry pi 3 B+, OSMC 2019.04-1 (Kodi version: 18.2-RC1).

Bye, Epg
The cue sheet might already be embedded in the flac. In that case both the flac file tags and the external cue sheet would be evaluated, leading to duplicated entries.
(2019-04-28, 11:57)HeresJohnny Wrote: The cue sheet might already be embedded in the flac. In that case both the flac file tags and the external cue sheet would be evaluated, leading to duplicated entries.

That was my first idea.

I have already checked opening the flac files in Foobar2000 and Picard and and cuesheets don't seem have been embedded in.

Bye, Epg
(2019-04-28, 12:10)Epg1 Wrote:
(2019-04-28, 11:57)HeresJohnny Wrote: The cue sheet might already be embedded in the flac. In that case both the flac file tags and the external cue sheet would be evaluated, leading to duplicated entries.

That was my first idea.

I have already checked opening the flac files in Foobar2000 and Picard and and cuesheets don't seem have been embedded in.

Bye, Epg 

Does foobar2000 show you every tag?  Sounds like you may have some junk old tags in there.  Maybe use Picards ability to wipe out all old tags and then replace with just clean v2.4 tags?

Wiping them all out and writing them in clean again can solve a lot of puzzles.

I also make use of mp3tag.de as that lets you look a bit closer at the actual tags in the files.  (Extended Tag Info) as well as pointing out when you have different types of tags in the same file (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE, VORBIS).  I've seen scrappy files from dodgy torrents that can have contradictions inside the tags in a single file.
Wink 
(2019-04-28, 13:17)BatterPudding Wrote:
(2019-04-28, 12:10)Epg1 Wrote:

That was my first idea.

Bye, Epg  

Does foobar2000 show you every tag?  Sounds like you may have some junk old tags in there.

Wiping them all out and writing them in clean again can solve a lot of puzzles.
I have just finished the converision from flac to wave (PCM uncompressed) to test if there was a junk tag in flac files and now I have in the relevant folders only cuesheets and the untagged wav files. A library cleaning & rescan solved the problem  Smile so yes, there was definitively a junk tag in one file (I will investigate where is that tag). Now I can switch back compressing the wav in flac and restore them in their own folders.

Thank you all for the precious hints

Epg.
Any chance I can pursuade you to stop using cuesheets altogether and but the tracks into separate fully tagged FLAC files @Epg1 ? The cusheet format only has limited information compared to tagging individual files, and richer library  experience that can come from that.

Also good advice from @BatterPudding to use Mp3tag to reveal all the tagging and formats.

I'm going to mark thread as solved
(2019-04-28, 15:13)DaveBlake Wrote: Any chance I can pursuade you to stop using cuesheets altogether and but the tracks into separate fully tagged FLAC files @Epg1 ? The cusheet format only has limited information compared to tagging individual files, and richer library  experience that can come from that.

Also good advice from @BatterPudding to use Mp3tag to reveal all the tagging and formats.

I'm going to mark thread as solved

Hi DaveBlake,
                     first of all let me give you a very big THANK YOU for your efforts in the (neglected) Music  developement.
I really noticed big and tangible improvements in Kodi 18 music refactoring.

Having said that, I would prefer to mantain my actual music organization in cuesheet and FLAC file: aside the minor (and specific) problem reported in this thread, I have no problems in kodi 18 with cue + FLAC. I will stick with cue + flac /ape mainly because I have a lot of recordings whitout gaps between the tracks and I want to preserve the original CD stucture. Yes, I know that I could split them and use tagged FLACs (with Musicbrain for example) and then gapless playback but, as already stated, I would prefer not to do that.
As I am concerned, once Kodi library scan recognize an album (in cuesheet+FLAC combination), then the songs / album / artist are happily all in the right place in the db and available i.e. for cocktail mode.

For the issue esposed in this thred, please don't mark this thread as solved now: unfortunately it isn't because I have done another basic test putting more than one (cuesheet, WAV or cuesheet, FLAC) in a folder and then the problem triggers: with only one cuesheet in the foder, the album is recognized with "Artisti vari", with multiple cuesheets in the same folder, as "Various Artists".. Ah, the multiple cuesheets are there because they just belong at the same album (3 CDs) and they have the same PERFORMER "Various Artists" in the CUEs.

In the end, I don't want to bother you with this minor issue and I will carry on enjoying Kodi 18 Smile.
Well done!!

Bye, Epg.
(2019-04-28, 16:07)Epg1 Wrote: As I am concerned, once Kodi library scan recognize an album (in cuesheet+FLAC combination), then the songs / album / artist are happily all in the right place in the db and available i.e. for cocktail mode.
The choice of cuesheet use rather than separate files is entirely yours, and I promise I won't nag, but I don't understand your reasoning @Epg1

(2019-04-28, 16:07)Epg1 Wrote: For the issue esposed in this thred, please don't mark this thread as solved now: unfortunately it isn't because I have done another basic test putting more than one (cuesheet, WAV or cuesheet, FLAC) in a folder and then the problem triggers: with only one cuesheet in the foder, the album is recognized with "Artisti vari", with multiple cuesheets in the same folder, as "Various Artists"..

Ah, the multiple cuesheets are there because they just belong at the same album (3 CDs) and they have the same PERFORMER "Various Artists" in the CUEs.
I'm confused -is it resolved, or do you still have an issue? Let me know and I'll remove the tag.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Various Artists duplicate from cuesheets0