Understanding the implications of IPTV.
I have noticed that there seems to be more attention being paid to IPTV, as of late.

From what I have read, so far, it seems to be that if you find the correct internet stream for a channel, you can add it to TVHeadend, so that it acts as if it were a DVB channel.

Is this correct?

It would be really useful/interesting to hear from other users, on here, that are currently using IPTV and what they are using it for.
(2019-05-02, 16:21)elsmandino Wrote: I have noticed that there seems to be more attention being paid to IPTV, as of late.

From what I have read, so far, it seems to be that if you find the correct internet stream for a channel, you can add it to TVHeadend, so that it acts as if it were a DVB channel.

Is this correct?

It would be really useful/interesting to hear from other users, on here, that are currently using IPTV and what they are using it for.

There are lots of flavours of IPTV - and TV Headend works well with many of them.

Some commercial pay-TV+broadband providers operate multicast IPTV services from their headends - which are like DVB-over-IP - and offer similar functionality to Cable TV. They can often be integrated into TV Headend.

Some of us run DVB-T/T2/S/S2 clients providing multicast (UDP or RTP) streams of specific transponders/muxes over Ethernet (using DVBlast, MuMuDVB etc.), and TV Headend happily picks these up too. You can also run unicast versions of these, and http stream.

Then there are third party unicast 'web' streams that can often be integrated into TV Headend using pipe+ffmpeg to create a TV Headend friendly transport stream version of the streaming service.
Thanks Noggin - does seem that there are some interesting things that I could with my server, then.

Do you personally make use of it?

One thing that I might be interested in is getting TV5Monde back.

It used to be freely available on 28.2e but they decided to make it online only - is there a way to use IPTV so that I could receive again, as if it were a DVB channel?
I run TvHeadend in a docker container on my main server,  and use the plugin on my KODI android boxes.
EPG works as well.
It all works very nicely after a few tweaks...

https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/29249

My old provider allowed 5 connections which meant multiple streams around the house plus one or 2 recording.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Understanding the implications of IPTV.0