v18 SQL DB Raspberry pi slow on KODI 18
Hello,
i have a SQL Database on a Raspberry pi with MariaDB 10.1.38.
My Problem is that after the update to Kodi 18 when i enter a Series it loads 30 seconds to display the content.
With KODI 17 it loads instandly.
The problem occures on Windows and on my Linux Boxes
I have generated a new DB in he hope it gets better but nothing changed.
What can i do ? (Im a linux noob but willing to learn.)

Here is a log :

https://paste.kodi.tv/aturazabub.kodi
Kodi 18 may have newer, complex queries that some versions of MariaDB are allergic to. MariaDB 10.2/3something also had some settings in its config file that had certain tv (season) listings go pretty slow. Perhaps it's the same thing.

Which OS on your Raspberry Pi? Which type of RPi?
LibreELEC has a MariaDB Server add-on, you could try that.

My personal thought: don't run a MySQL database off an SD card or USB stick. The wear and tear will on a SD card is irreversable, while SSDs have TRIM functionality.
A Raspberry Pi 3 / 3 B+ can boot from USB. You could have a USB housing containing an SSD drive. It works, write speeds are better than those of a SD card too.
(2019-05-03, 21:46)Klojum Wrote: Kodi 18 may have newer, complex queries that some versions of MariaDB are allergic to. MariaDB 10.2/3something also had some settings in its config file that had certain tv (season) listings go pretty slow. Perhaps it's the same thing.

Which OS on your Raspberry Pi? Which type of RPi?
LibreELEC has a MariaDB Server add-on, you could try that.

My personal thought: don't run a MySQL database off an SD card or USB stick. The wear and tear will on a SD card is irreversable, while SSDs have TRIM functionality.
A Raspberry Pi 3 / 3 B+ can boot from USB. You could have a USB housing containing an SSD drive. It works, write speeds are better than those of a SD card too.
I have Raspbian Stretch running on a Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 1.2.
Does a SSD give a speed boost ?
I make backups and have a sd restored sometimes so that would not matter for me.
But if its faster i consider an upgrade to an SSD.
Sadly on Raspbian it is the newest version of Maria DB available.
Do have a link to config changes on Maria DB ?
I mean:
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
(2019-05-03, 22:07)timelord9999 Wrote: But if its faster i consider an upgrade to an SSD.
Reading data isn't particularly faster, but writing data is faster than with SD cards. That's handy when building and scraping with your new Kodi setup. After that, data is mostly read so perhaps not much difference.

Again, I prefer to have databases on a more steady platform, and SD cards have disappointed me a little too much lately.
(2019-05-03, 17:41)timelord9999 Wrote: My Problem is that after the update to Kodi 18 when i enter a Series it loads 30 seconds to display the content.
Does it take this long every time you enter a series, or just the first time for a given series? I am wondering if it is just the art fetching and caching that is slow, and once done (for the new installation and series)  the speed will improve.

I don't see any 30s delay in the log, but I do see image caching, so I don't think it is a slow query db thing.
(2019-05-03, 17:41)timelord9999 Wrote: My Problem is that after the update to Kodi 18 when i enter a Series it loads 30 seconds to display the content.
It could be the same issue that was encountered here in LibreELEC.
Browse through the topic and see if the fix also works on your MariaDB setup.
(2019-05-04, 10:12)DaveBlake Wrote:
Does it take this long every time you enter a series, or just the first time for a given series? I am wondering if it is just the art fetching and caching that is slow, and once done (for the new installation and series)  the speed will improve.

I don't see any 30s delay in the log, but I do see image caching, so I don't think it is a slow query db thing. 

It is the first time i enter a Series after it it loads fast but only for that session after i restart kodi it is the same again.
i think you are right it is a image cache thing
I tested a bit and it look even more worse.
i let one series load and it is fast even after a restart but if i enter another series this one works but the first loads slow again.
here is a log where the error occurs:

https://paste.kodi.tv/wadipivuje.kodi
Does nobody can help me with this Problem ?
Should i make a new Thread because the Problem seems to be the Image Chache ?
If you are using TheTVDB scraper, it is slower than the TMDB scraper.
As said already, the write speed of SD cards is usually painfully slow. Especially when wifi is used during the scraping process.

Doing the scraping on a fast(er) Kodi device, and then copying all material to the RPi can be an option.

(2019-05-15, 20:20)timelord9999 Wrote: Does nobody can help me with this Problem ?

Don't compare a Raspberry Pi to a powerfull Intel PC.
The RPi is a 35 dollar kids toy. You get what you pay for.
(2019-05-15, 23:14)Klojum Wrote: If you are using TheTVDB scraper, it is slower than the TMDB scraper.
As said already, the write speed of SD cards is usually painfully slow. Especially when wifi is used during the scraping process.

Doing the scraping on a fast(er) Kodi device, and then copying all material to the RPi can be an option.
(2019-05-15, 20:20)timelord9999 Wrote: Does nobody can help me with this Problem ?

Don't compare a Raspberry Pi to a powerfull Intel PC.
The RPi is a 35 dollar kids toy. You get what you pay for. 
THX for the pointing that out
i stuck on the reply about image caching
i used the pi as low energy consuming 24/7 sql server for my libreelec boxes around my home
till kodi 18.0 i had no performance problems
but i stuck on maria db 10.1.38 on raspbian
i tested a bit and set up a sql server on my main pc and you are right it is much better
with maria db 10.1.38 it took 3 seconds to load then i updated to 10.3.15 and it loads instantly
im unsure if its the hardware or the maria db version
but i dont find information if or when maria db on raspbian gets updated
can you recommend a energy effective hardware with decent power ?
i got a intel atom mini pc running with ubuntu.
everthing is woking fine now.
thx for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL DB Raspberry pi slow on KODI 180