Android MeCool KM9 Pro Google-certified Official Android TV Box $70
Didn't find an existing thread on this... looks like we have a better alternative to the Xiaomi Mi Box-es & Ematic Jetstream...

Not Netflix certified, so resolution capped at 480p, but apparently does Prime Video (sideloaded apk) & YouTube both at 4K.

No HD audio, but appears to be a significantly more powerful box than Mi Box-es & Jetstream. But, no challenge to nVidia Shield TV of course. But, looks solid for 4K HDR local media playback, 23.976 to 60. Only concern is 100M LAN, but assume a Gigabit internet adapter would work.

[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
If anyone has this can you please test the following:

Kodi Netflix Addon

Frame rate switching

De-interlacing performance
Unofficial list of Google Certified Android TV devices (click)

Unless there is a miracle - I expect DD+ passthrough audio to be buggy as well - even when used in Kodi. Fixed in recent Oreo / Pie Firmware.

All the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon needs is an Android device with legit Widevine L1 DRM certificates. You then get HW video decoding with that addon.

But it will have better HDR support baked into the Linux Kernel and GPU vs the NVIDIA Shield.
Eg BT.2020 > BT.709 will work for HDR > SDR tone mapping.
You will also get HDR YouTube and I suspect HDR Google Play movies due to VP9 Profile 2 - GPU support.

There should also be some HDMI 2.1 features present like HDR10+ and HLG should be working.

The new ARM Mali G31, G52 (ODROID N2) are much more advanced compared to the 2012 era Mali-450 found in the Xiaomi Mi Boxes.

Ultimately the BIG question is all about bug busting after sales Firmware support. Will MECOOL actually support this device ?

(2019-05-05, 23:45)feathers Wrote: If anyone has this can you please test the following:

Kodi Netflix Addon

Frame rate switching

De-interlacing performance
I have the KM9 (but not the PRO) running the PRO firmware.  Have not tried the Kodi Netfix addon.  But it does NOT support frame rate switching.  I don't have any issues with De-interlacing.  This firmware has a locked bootloader, so NOT dual boot into Linux or LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
(2019-05-06, 23:15)clarkss12 Wrote: I don't have any issues with De-interlacing.

Do you watch 50 / 60 FPS sports and are you aware of what the “bad” deinterlacing looks like on that content ?
(2019-05-07, 00:35)feathers Wrote:
(2019-05-06, 23:15)clarkss12 Wrote: I don't have any issues with De-interlacing.

Do you watch 50 / 60 FPS sports and are you aware of what the “bad” deinterlacing looks like on that content ? 

Guess I have never noticed......... I really only watch the NFL football, and sometimes the car racing channels, but looks OK to me.  I use an antenna mounted on the roof, and I feed directly into my 4K TV tuner, besides feeding two different HDHomeRun OTA tuners.  I have done comparisons, and I don't see any difference at all.  I  made the supposition that since the TV has a built in tuner, and TV's were originally MADE for watching TV, then that would not have any de-interlacing issues, especially when most of the channels I watch are 480i channels.
(2019-05-06, 02:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Unofficial list of Google Certified Android TV devices (click)
Holy moly, wasn't aware there were so many Google-certified, but non Netflix certified boxes.
(2019-05-07, 01:27)hdmkv Wrote:
(2019-05-06, 02:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Unofficial list of Google Certified Android TV devices (click)
Holy moly, wasn't aware there were so many Google-certified, but non Netflix certified boxes.

Obviously, Netflix are buttheads. Don't know why they are protective.
I have the MeCool KM9 and it cannot play netflix at all, cannot get the provisioning Netflix requires for the first run. I think that Netflix has blocked all Mecool devices, because they were trying to play HD without getting certification.
Netflix are not buttheads, they are only trying to ensure that hardware and software will provide the best experience for their product. They have also started an initiative - Netflix Hailstorm – a program aiming at scaling the number of device officially supporting Netflix by pre-certifying SOC manufacturers:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/11/15/...-tv-boxes/
https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/hail...169366f828
(2019-05-07, 09:21)vitocorl Wrote: I have the MeCool KM9 and it cannot play netflix at all, cannot get the provisioning Netflix requires for the first run. I think that Netflix has blocked all Mecool devices, because they were trying to play HD without getting certification.
Netflix are not buttheads, they are only trying to ensure that hardware and software will provide the best experience for their product. They have also started an initiative - Netflix Hailstorm – a program aiming at scaling the number of device officially supporting Netflix by pre-certifying SOC manufacturers:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/11/15/...-tv-boxes/
https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/hail...169366f828
correct, official app is blocked, but you can side load a modified app of netflix that runs in 4k, and that app has been modified to not know it is running on the mecool device ID. Quick google should have you on the right track Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MeCool KM9 Pro Google-certified Official Android TV Box $700