"Small footprint" media center advice
I have a dedicated windows 10 machine running Kodi with lots of disk space and MySQL.  This machine not only supports local media viewing but also  a number of Pis (Librelec) around the house.   I would like to setup something similar for my sister but am a bit Leary about dedicating a windows 10 machine for her (very non-technical and also long distance for me).  I have 2 questions:

1. Can I do the above with a Raspberry Pi central 'server' instead of windows box?

2. If I use a windows machine, can I get away with a business laptop or something similar.  Something cheap and all inclusive so she doesn't have a bulky machine sitting next to her TV?

Thanks for any advice!!
I run MySQL on a very old windows laptop and it works fine (if a little slowly sometimes) so a modern windows machine of almost any type will be sufficient. Having said that, more RAM and more CPU will make everything run faster especially with big libraries.

Two extra points:

- You can get boxes that look like a small android device but run windows 10 if you want to reduce bulk
- Install TeamViewer Host on your sister's device and your remote access problems are mostly solved. I use it to support several family members devices (computers and phones) in different parts of the world. It's free for non-commercial use.

Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2019-05-07, 16:51)jmh2002 Wrote: I run MySQL on a very old windows laptop and it works fine (if a little slowly sometimes) so a modern windows machine of almost any type will be sufficient. Having said that, more RAM and more CPU will make everything run faster especially with big libraries.

Two extra points:

- You can get boxes that look like a small android device but run windows 10 if you want to reduce bulk
- Install TeamViewer Host on your sister's device and your remote access problems are mostly solved. I use it to support several family members devices (computers and phones) in different parts of the world. It's free for non-commercial use.

Smile

Great thoughts!  Thanks.  I have an old "palmtop" that runs windows 8 (I might have upped it to windows 10, I don't remember).  I wonder how well that will work.

Thanks again!
(2019-05-07, 18:10)jglazer63 Wrote:
(2019-05-07, 16:51)jmh2002 Wrote: I run MySQL on a very old windows laptop and it works fine (if a little slowly sometimes) so a modern windows machine of almost any type will be sufficient. Having said that, more RAM and more CPU will make everything run faster especially with big libraries.

Two extra points:

Smile

Great thoughts!  Thanks.  I have an old "palmtop" that runs windows 8 (I might have upped it to windows 10, I don't remember).  I wonder how well that will work.

Thanks again!  
I am using an old net-top PC.  An Acer Revo R3600.  This thing is about 10 years old.  I bought it around 4 years ago and have been running it 24/7 since.  It is great as it has 6 USB ports and a eSATA port so can address 7 external HDDs.  Other than the odd minor hiccup they thing has been totally reliable and only uses 22w, excluding the drives.  I have upgraded using bits from scrap laptops.  The only thing I am doing different to what you suggest is I am using Linux (Xubuntu LTS) as the OS rather than windows as it is more efficient on older hardware.  Linux also lets you use NFS to share files rather than SMB.  NFS is faster than SMB and is much more reliable IMHO.

Here is my thread on the subject...

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275081
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I came across an X86 board I thought attractive for small footprint and relatively inexpensive (compared to an NUC at least);  https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/

I'd be tempted to use something like that, but being Intel based it's on the more expensive side of SBC things.  Still, gets the full flexibility of a PC at a lower cost.
(2019-05-07, 15:34)jglazer63 Wrote: I have a dedicated windows 10 machine running Kodi with lots of disk space and MySQL.  This machine not only supports local media viewing but also  a number of Pis (Librelec) around the house.   I would like to setup something similar for my sister but am a bit Leary about dedicating a windows 10 machine for her (very non-technical and also long distance for me).  I have 2 questions:

1. Can I do the above with a Raspberry Pi central 'server' instead of windows box?

2. If I use a windows machine, can I get away with a business laptop or something similar.  Something cheap and all inclusive so she doesn't have a bulky machine sitting next to her TV?

Thanks for any advice!!

I used a Pi with external hard drive attached for a central server for quite a while.. Worked great and cost less then $50 (not including external drive)..    I recently upgraded to an Odroid N2 as my server as it has true gigabit ethernet and USB3..   I leave them both on all the time, very low power use..  If you are going this way, look at the odroid XU4 or N2, both have true gigabit ethernet and USB 3..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Small footprint" media center advice0