Help choosing hardware
Hello folks, first post here.

It's pretty involved getting into this Kodi box stuff and I've got option overload with all the hardware out there.  I could use some suggestions.  Here's what I need,

Play mp4/h.264 files from a Windows network share
Ethernet port (network is all hard-line)
Play mp4/h.264 files from an exFAT USB drive
Streaming from web sites
Output video and Dolby/DTS audio to AV receiver over HDMI
1080p is fine, don't have any 4k equipment so don't need that right now.
Relatively low cost

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.
The above is a pretty straightforward set of requirements.  A Pi 3 running libreelec or an amlogic box running coreelec would cope comfortably and cost peanuts.
I was wondering about going the Pi route.  Was thinking of getting one of those cheap Chinese boxes.  I saw a Dolemee D5 mentioned on a web site somewhere.  Not sure if that would be a bad purchase, pretty cheap, but would rather not waste money.
a 4th/5th-gen Chromebox running LibreELEC would probably run <$100 used and run circles around a rpi/AML box for most things. Tradeoff would be HEVC decoding/HDR support
(2019-05-07, 23:49)trogggy Wrote: ...an amlogic box running coreelec

Liking the sound of coreelec, I'm pretty comfortable with Linux.  That would make the Amlogic hardware a good option for me.   Though it sounds like it's not the fastest horse out the gate.
(2019-05-08, 00:03)Matt Devo Wrote: a 4th/5th-gen Chromebox running LibreELEC would probably run <$100 used and run circles around a rpi/AML box for most things. Tradeoff would be HEVC decoding/HDR support.
I guess it really depends on your requirements.  I don't use particularly heavy skins, so I'm not sure what a chromebox would give me over my s905 boxes.  Apart from using some of my excess cash.
(2019-05-08, 00:12)CraigHB Wrote:
(2019-05-07, 23:49)trogggy Wrote: ...an amlogic box running coreelec

Liking the sound of coreelec, I'm pretty comfortable with Linux.  That would make the Amlogic hardware a good option for me.   Though it sounds like it's not the fastest horse out the gate. 
If you want the fastest on coreelec look at an N2, but tbh it's overkill for what you say you need.  My S905 boxes cost around £25 and have been brilliant for the last couple of years.  I'm nowhere near thinking of upgrading.
Sounds good, looking for compatible coreelec boxes right now.  I like the idea of running Linux over Android, Google rates about the same as Microsoft in my book.  I see there's a list of compatible devices on the coreelec download page.  I'll just pick one of those.  Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help choosing hardware0