Win Need help getting the EPG working
I've just taken the plunge and reluctantly wiped WMC from my PC.  I installed Win 10 and KODI, with a NextPVR add-on.  I have a Ceton InfiniTV tuner card.  So far, so good.  I can see live TV, looks great.  Manual recording works as well. But I cannot get the EPG Electronic Program Guide to display.  What's the best way to get this working?  One approach which doesn't seem to work is to download an XMLTV file through EPG123, then use the KODI add-on TV Guide to pull the file in.  No success.  Maybe the file is not in the correct format so it can be ingested by TV Guide.  I could not see a way to do this from KODI.  Is NextPVR the problem?  Should I uninstall it and use the PVR that is supposedly included with KODI?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I searched the forums and Reddit, but haven't found a solution.  Thanks
Kodi doesn't have it's own EPG guide, it displays what you use in your backend.  With the Ceton I think NextPVR is your best choice after WMC and for guide data I strongly suggest you consider subscribing to Schedules Direct.  It is well worth the small cost to get guide data as good as the data in WMC and NextPVR supports it directly.  For help configuring NextPVR I suggest you post on the NextPVR forums.  Once you have a working solution connection to Kodi is very easy.

Martin
(2019-05-11, 03:46)emveepee Wrote: Kodi doesn't have it's own EPG guide, it displays what you use in your backend.  With the Ceton I think NextPVR is your best choice after WMC and for guide data I strongly suggest you consider subscribing to Schedules Direct.  It is well worth the small cost to get guide data as good as the data in WMC and NextPVR supports it directly.  For help configuring NextPVR I suggest you post on the NextPVR forums.  Once you have a working solution connection to Kodi is very easy.

Martin

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply!  For my EPG123 experiment, I did set up an account with Schedules Direct (for a 7 day free trial).  Maybe I don't understand the add-on part.  Even though I've added the add-on (so to speak) in KODI, do I need to also install the NextPVR app itself?  I assumed that the add-on in KODI was all I needed....maybe that's not correct?

John
I am a bit confused.  Do you have the Ceton configured in NextPVR to serve the live tv and manual recordings?  If so in the same NextPVR setup you just add the schedules direct links for the channels that you use in the Guide Settings.

Martin
(2019-05-11, 05:16)emveepee Wrote: I am a bit confused.  Do you have the Ceton configured in NextPVR to serve the live tv and manual recordings?  If so in the same NextPVR setup you just add the schedules direct links for the channels that you use in the Guide Settings.

Martin
After I installed KODI, I then chose the add-on from within KODI.  I did not install the NextPVR application separately.  I assumed that by adding the add-on, the NextPVR app got installed and that all NextPVR settings take place within KODI.  Maybe that is incorrect and I need to install the app itself.  Hope that makes sense.  Smile
Sorry, what you have posted makes no sense.  If you haven't installed NextPVR you will get an error when Kodi tries to connect to it and you wouldn't be able to record or watch live TV as you posted earlier.

Martin
(2019-05-11, 16:53)jwfmiller Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 05:16)emveepee Wrote: I am a bit confused.  Do you have the Ceton configured in NextPVR to serve the live tv and manual recordings?  If so in the same NextPVR setup you just add the schedules direct links for the channels that you use in the Guide Settings.

Martin
After I installed KODI, I then chose the add-on from within KODI.  I did not install the NextPVR application separately.  I assumed that by adding the add-on, the NextPVR app got installed and that all NextPVR settings take place within KODI.  Maybe that is incorrect and I need to install the app itself.  Hope that makes sense.  Smile 
You need to download the separate Nextpvr (from the nextpvr website) and set it up from there. Without it, Kodi has nothing to work with. The Nextpvr website has pretty good setup information, and I have found  sub (account name) and others to be helpful through the nextpvr forum. I also second the suggestion for schedules direct, its a great service and I found it to lessen some headaches.
(2019-05-11, 18:47)clones Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 16:53)jwfmiller Wrote:

Martin
You need to download the separate Nextpvr (from the nextpvr website) and set it up from there. Without it, Kodi has nothing to work with. The Nextpvr website has pretty good setup information, and I have found  sub (account name) and others to be helpful through the nextpvr forum. I also second the suggestion for schedules direct, its a great service and I found it to lessen some headaches. 
Hi, clones, and thanks for your reply.  That's what I had started to suspect.  Unlike what might be obvious to others, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to install NextPVR as a server, and that the KODI add-on is a client.  Maybe there's some FAQ or doc that states this; I searched but never found it.  I'm a newbie with KODI and NextPVR....
Problem solved: I installed the NextPVR app/server, easily set it up, and everything works as expected.
(2019-05-11, 03:21)jwfmiller Wrote: I installed Win 10 and KODI, with a NextPVR add-on.  I have a Ceton InfiniTV tuner card.  So far, so good.  I can see live TV, looks great.  Manual recording works as well.
I have to admit that this comment threw me off as well. It sounded like you had installed the server. Otherwise how are you seeing and scheduling live TV? You must have been using whatever generic software came with the tuner card I guess.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-05-12, 02:29)jwfmiller Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 18:47)clones Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 16:53)jwfmiller Wrote: After I installed KODI, I then chose the add-on from within KODI.  I did not install the NextPVR application separately.  I assumed that by adding the add-on, the NextPVR app got installed and that all NextPVR settings take place within KODI.  Maybe that is incorrect and I need to install the app itself.  Hope that makes sense.  Smile  
Hi, clones, and thanks for your reply.  That's what I had started to suspect.  Unlike what might be obvious to others, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to install NextPVR as a server, and that the KODI add-on is a client.  Maybe there's some FAQ or doc that states this; I searched but never found it.  I'm a newbie with KODI and NextPVR....
Problem solved: I installed the NextPVR app/server, easily set it up, and everything works as expected.  

That's great to hear, as we start at different places as newbies, as also someone who used to use the ceton tuner but bemoaned the slow painful death of WMC and the cost of cable). I have found Nextpvr/schedules direct to be pretty solid and error free. (I had forgot to suggest the www.howtogeek.com website as I have found it to offer good guides).
settings on nextpvr
channels
up;date epg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help getting the EPG working0