• 1(current)
Full DVD-video playback with menus (and DVD-Video related suggestions)
i've been looking for something like this. i think there should be a way to rip a dvd to the xbox and play it using xbmc. yes, you can play the .vob files, but i'm looking to run it as if it was a dvd in the drive. i want to be able to use the menu and change languages and everything, but from a file that is on the hard drive.
Information 
i guess, when there´s full dvd playback, this is only a little step codingwise (except if you expect the ripping thing included into xbmc which would be problematic from a legal point of view (css)). so lets wait until the dvd thing is included...
well i don't expect the dvd ripping part to be included. there are always programs like dvd2xbox. i'm just tired of playing ever .vob file to watch the movie.
does xbmc have the ability to play dvd video? i have been trying to make it play and all it does is show me the files on the dvd.

i have searched the forum, internet, and the faq and i could not find the answer.

how do i play them?
no, it's not possible yet. you have to wait until some dev ports both xine and libdvdnav source code to xbmc (big task)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i have been waiting for this feature for a loooong loong time. i would really like if the devs could give this feature some notice. everytime a release is made, i look for this.

i tried posting at xbox-scene forums, but i guess this is a place where i could post a feature request.

its my personal petetion to the devs ! thanks for the great product.
this is probably asking a lot..but if you guys were able to figure out how to play dvd's with progressive output...it would be the best news of the decade...
the hard part is getting the reading/menu control of the dvd done. our current underlying engine (mplayer) doesn't handle dvds well.

once that is done, dvds will enjoy progressive output just like all other videos.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i would be able to "mount" a remotely stored .img file of a dvd and play it on the xbox. thus making it unnessesary to burn it to a dvd-r before watching it..
would be nice he?
not possible @ the moment, but who knows...
maybe in the future
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
you could mount the dvd image on your pc using alcohol 120% or daemon tools, etc. and then share the mounted drive over smb or relax.
(burriko @ dec. 29 2003,12:34 Wrote:you could mount the dvd image on your pc using alcohol 120% or daemon tools, etc. and then share the mounted drive over smb or relax.
the menues still don't work with it.. tried it already.. can't choose in the dvd menues.. that's a problem...
true. there is no dvd menu support in xbmc as of yet.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i know that this might almost be like swearing in the church, but i have a long time had a gentoo linux computer (not xbox) as my media machine. here i used xine player to play dvd from the hd with full menu support, highlighting plus more.

can we somehow use xine to add this functionality until mplayer makes it work? in xine i just made a sym link from the directory where i stored the dvd files to for instance /home/username/dvd and then i edited the settings in xine to look for dvd files here. so i just updated the symlink, then i run "xine dvd://" and away we go.

for xvid, divx, ogg etc mplayer rules as far as i know, xine works but not as smooth.

i am considering using somekind of a linux install on the xbox in adition to the xbmc/xbmp so i can use xine, but i don't know yet just where to start... (liking the gentoox project though).

(also posted to xbmp forums)
possible yes but not a small task as has to port entire xine to xbox and a new core (dll) for xbmc, see sf.net xbmc rfe here(link)

(corvy @ feb. 24 2004,09:25 Wrote:(also posted to xbmp forums)
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....f70ea0f
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full DVD-video playback with menus (and DVD-Video related suggestions)2