Linux Documentaries separated
Question 
I am wondering how to add documentaries on a separate home-tile/button.
When I add a smart-playlist to filter movies by "path" in my documentary-folder on the hdd, nothing shows up. No matter if I choose "begin with", "contains", and so on.

What is the common approach for this quest?

My hard disk has 3 separate folders:
/movies/..
/tvshows/..
/documentaries/..
Furthermore, there are documentaries designed like "tv-shows" in multiple episodes, and some that appear like movies in single episodes on single topics.
If I add a source I MUST choose between "Movies" and "TV-Shows". I assume this has effect on how the content is displayed later on, right?

Do I need an Addon for documentaries? I mean it's nothing uncommon to watch documentaries but kodi (or pellucid?) seems to neglect these completely.
(2019-05-21, 12:45)xcy7e Wrote: I am wondering how to add documentaries on a separate home-tile/button.
Custom home items (wiki)

(2019-05-21, 12:45)xcy7e Wrote: When I add a smart-playlist to filter movies by "path" in my documentary-folder on the hdd, nothing shows up.
Post a screenshot of the Playlist settings. If you know where the playlist xml file is, post the code instead.

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: If I add a source I MUST choose between "Movies" and "TV-Shows". I assume this has effect on how the content is displayed later on, right?
Yes. Movies are shown in the Movies menu and.... yep you know what comes next.

You cannot mix Movies and TV Shows into a single playlist. Decide where you want all your documentaries- either in Movies or in TV Shows. I would suggest all in TV Shows.

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: Do I need an Addon for documentaries?
To do what?

(2019-05-21, 12:49)xcy7e Wrote: I mean it's nothing uncommon to watch documentaries but kodi (or pellucid?) seems to neglect these completely.
Why is it neglected? There is nothing special about documentaries and they are handled in the same way as all other movies and tv shows are handled.

If you don't like where they end up, then that is not a Kodi problem, but a problem at the scraper site and how they have them allocated. Kodi just does what it is told by the scraper sites.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for your quick reply.

The playlist-xml:
xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Dokus</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>/Dokumentationen</value>
    </rule>
</smartplaylist>

The question for the addon / complaints about neglecting documentaries is because I think documentaries are neither movies nor tv-shows, therefor should be treaten separately. It also appears to be very difficult for me as a super user to split movies/tvshows/documentaries and I think a casual user will never be able to achieve this.
Your playlist. A bit difficult to figure out as I don't see your folder structure so I can confirm it matches, but In your <value>/Dokumentationen</value> can you add the full path, eg f:\Dokumentationen and change the operator to Starts with

Does that work?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Dear Team-Kodi,

I have recently purchased an LG-C1, and to bring out the best of it, have started using KODI. I love your programme!; e.g., the “Adjust display refresh rate” is a great outcome to still get my GTX 960 to play 2160p HDR content (although it took me a while to find this option again, and had to look it up on the forum: v19.2 Settings\Player\Videos and only in Standard/Advanced/Expert mode). Furthermore, Kodi really adds value to (the accessibility of) my large video collection!

Herein also lies the problem; I would like to recommend Kodi to others (e.g., my dad), however, it has taken me weeks to, by trial and error, get my documentaries (some of which are ideal to bring out the best in a 2160p HDR TV) to appear in KODI’s TV shows or Movie section. This, as xcy7e stated above, is because some single episode documentaries are listed on IMDB as “TV Movie”.

I assume there are workarounds to make documentaries appear in KODI’s main section (add-ons, skins etc.), however, I haven’t gotten the options mentioned in this topic to properly work yet.

All this unfortunately still makes your wonderful programme too complicated to recommend to other people.

I would be forever grateful if an option, to make TV shows and Movies with the genre “documentary” appear in KODI’s main section, would be added to the standard programme. It would, I think, bring out the best in the programme and make it accessible to more people.

Cheers,

Sleepless_Nights
(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: This, as xcy7e stated above, is because some single episode documentaries are listed on IMDB as “TV Movie”.
Our default scrapers do not use IMDB, so there is no use checking IMDB for correctness. Use TheMovieDB... just as the name of the scrapers implies.

(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: I assume there are workarounds to make documentaries appear in KODI’s main section
You haven't really explained what the problem is. Are you having difficulty scraping the items into the library?

(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: I would be forever grateful if an option, to make TV shows and Movies with the genre “documentary” appear in KODI’s main section
No, it never will. Can you give me a link to a Documentary scraper site?
The facility is there for you to create whichever additional menu options you like- sports, children, anime, documentary, home movies etc
My Signature
(2021-10-26, 21:28)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: This, as xcy7e stated above, is because some single episode documentaries are listed on IMDB as “TV Movie”.
Our default scrapers do not use IMDB, so there is no use checking IMDB for correctness. Use TheMovieDB... just as the name of the scrapers implies.
I have indeed been using the default scapers. TMDb TV Shows, and when a Documentary did not show up, I moved it to the Movies folder on my HD and then updated the Movies library using The Movie Database Python. This proved to be quite a time-consuming busyness.
(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: I assume there are workarounds to make documentaries appear in KODI’s main section
You haven't really explained what the problem is. Are you having difficulty scraping the items into the library?
Yes, as explained above.
(2021-10-26, 14:40)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: I would be forever grateful if an option, to make TV shows and Movies with the genre “documentary” appear in KODI’s main section
No, it never will. Can you give me a link to a Documentary scraper site?
The facility is there for you to create whichever additional menu options you like- sports, children, anime, documentary, home movies etc
As you probably already know, there, to my knowledge, is no DocuDB yet, as discussed in this topic: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=333307
I'm not sure why one would need a separate Documentary scraper though, when Documentaries have already been tagged with the Documentary genre when they were scraped into KODI's Movies or TV shows libraries.
The problem is that existing scrapers/KODI split all videos up into either Movies or TV shows, while Documentaries are divided among both categories.
Therefore, for KODI to scrape Documentaries into hte Movies or TV shows libraries, I have to move the files to either one of these folders on my HD, by trail and error.
Now not only are my Documentaries now spread out throughout my HD, but the Movies and TV shows categories in KODI have been 'polluted' with Documentaries.
I've tried (among other things) to create a new menu item using the Library node editor add-on. However, new nodes can only be made within either the Movies or TV shows sections.

I guess two things would be needed to help solve this problem:
1. The possibility of using multiple scrapers for adding one video source (maybe using a Movies scraper and only when it cannot find an item use a TV shows scraper); the Documentaries folder on my HD (however, the scraped content would then still end up in KODI's Movies or TV shows sections)
2. The possibility of adding main menu items, covering both scraped content from Movies and TV shows (but then, both the Movies and TV shows sections in KODI would still be 'polluted' with Documentaries)
(2021-10-27, 10:36)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: TMDb TV Shows, and when a Documentary did not show up, I moved it to the Movies folder on my HD and then updated the Movies library using The Movie Database Python.
I don't really understand what is happening here. If you moved it to your Movies folder, then where was it before when it "did not show up"?
Did you check if the documentary exists at TheMovieDB?

(2021-10-27, 10:36)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: m not sure why one would need a separate Documentary scraper though, when Documentaries have already been tagged with the Documentary genre when they were scraped into KODI's Movies or TV shows libraries.
I'm not going to enter into a long-winded debate about this. Its not going to happen, no matter how convinced you are that we are doing it wrong. The facility is there to create as many categories as you want.

(2021-10-27, 10:36)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: The problem is that existing scrapers/KODI split all videos up into either Movies or TV shows, while Documentaries are divided among both categories.
No, the problem is that some documentaries are a single event, so are classified as movies. Other documentaries are a recurring production which means they are TV shows. Kodi can't help that, neither can TheMovieDB. Its the way the studios create it. And creating a dedicated category for Documentaries will not change that.

(2021-10-27, 10:36)Sleepless_Nights Wrote: Therefore, for KODI to scrape Documentaries into hte Movies or TV shows libraries, I have to move the files to either one of these folders on my HD, by trail and error.
Well this is the problem. Why don't you look it up at TheMovieDB and find where it fits, instead of using the trial and error method.

I suggest you read Smart playlists (wiki) and Custom home items (wiki)
Spend a bit of time reading those and you will be able to separate out all your documentaries.
This will probably help with your Movies/TV shows issue... Convert_movie_to_episode (wiki)
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Documentaries separated0