Timeline Preview like Netflix or YouTube does
Just installed the latest Kodi and can't believe this feature still isn't there. I'm waiting ages for it. The timeline is so boring and uncomfortable in Kodi.

It would be so cool if you could see little images above the timeline when forwarding like you see in netflix, so you know where you're exactly at. I like Kodi but browsing through a video is so much more comfortable in Netflix. The little images help so much when forwarding and rewinding and it's even alot faster way to browse through the video as not the whole screen has to be refreshed while forwarding and you can directly skip to the image you see in the preview and therefore the process is a whole lot less laggy. Netflix did a good job there. So nice if the kodi player could be like that. That would make Kodi perfect
Can you post some screenshots from Netflix and Youtube?

Maybe it can be translated into Kodi. ;-)

EDIT: I see I misunderstood your post.
It would be an extremely nice feature, and I also really like it for Youtube etc. But currently I don't think it's possible to implement.
(2019-06-02, 15:32)Gade Wrote: Can you post some screenshots from Netflix and Youtube?

Maybe it can be translated into Kodi. ;-)

EDIT: I see I misunderstood your post.
It would be an extremely nice feature, and I also really like it for Youtube etc. But currently I don't think it's possible to implement.

check out the 2nd image Smile It's not impossible.
https://mrmc.tv/mrmc-and-mrmc-lite-3-5-0...ets-focus/
That could be sweet.

But as long as it's not coded into Kodi core, this feature is not possible - as far as I see.
i think kodi would need to support 2 copys of the of the same video playing
there are Player labels that may get you to the video time line [Player.SeekTime]Time to which the user is seeking

Player.SeekTime on 2nd video is the only easy way

there may be a way with the bookmark image buut you would need to jump to that part of the video to get the image
(2019-06-08, 03:59)the_other_guy Wrote: i think kodi would need to support 2 copys of the of the same video playing
there are Player labels that may get you to the video time line [Player.SeekTime]Time to which the user is seeking

there may be a way with the bookmark image buut you would need to jump to that part of the video to get the image

Nah, you are over thinking it. There is already a thumbnailer, that given a source, seeks in a bit and grabs one frame. 

That's what MrMC is doing, when OSD pops up, open 2nd stream, seek, grab frame, show it. Rinse/repeat as user seeks around. 
Bonus points for switching between grabbing from playing video if not paused Smile
I vote for this feature too. It would be nice to have it.
Any plan about it?
+1

Extremely helpful to see where we fell asleep!
RPi3 | RPi4 | LibreElec Kodi
I'd love having this feature too! I fell in love with it not through Netflix, but rather through my Tablo HDMI DVR. It scrolls with popup images so I can clearly see where the commercials end and start playing where the show returns. The only catch is, it doesn't work with the live TV time shift, only with recorded shows. But while I don't really love The Tablo DVR, I do really like this one feature of it. So I was hoping there would be a way to implement it here on kodi, then I'd have no reason to ever use the Tablo, as my HDHR Flex 4k is way better in every way.
So it's a shame that this isn't an option, yet.
(2022-06-25, 15:16)Joeyrub Wrote: I'd love having this feature too! I fell in love with it not through Netflix, but rather through my Tablo HDMI DVR. It scrolls with popup images so I can clearly see where the commercials end and start playing where the show returns. The only catch is, it doesn't work with the live TV time shift, only with recorded shows. But while I don't really love The Tablo DVR, I do really like this one feature of it. So I was hoping there would be a way to implement it here on kodi, then I'd have no reason to ever use the Tablo, as my HDHR Flex 4k is way better in every way.
So it's a shame that this isn't an option, yet.

Using a PVR backend that supports comskip is even better for recordings since you don't have to watch for commercials. Some users report issues with some channels but for me it has been spot one for a decade.  

The NextPVR backend (which supports comskip) even has support for the the Tablo device and it works much like an HDHR.  Some NextPVR clients support comskip on in progress recordings too.    As a bonus my TabloTV device has better reception then any of my digital tuners (Hauppauge and 2 HDHR models). 

Martin
(2019-06-09, 00:20)davilla Wrote:
(2019-06-08, 03:59)the_other_guy Wrote: i think kodi would need to support 2 copys of the of the same video playing

Nah, you are over thinking it. There is already a thumbnailer, that given a source, seeks in a bit and grabs one frame. 

That's what MrMC is doing, when OSD pops up, open 2nd stream, seek, grab frame, show it. Rinse/repeat as user seeks around. 
Bonus points for switching between grabbing from playing video if not paused Smile
@davilla ,

for those of us that are hard of thinking, could you please explain this a little more. Is this something that MrMC provides to the gui engine, or is it completely possible already for a Kodi skin writer to provide with current Kodi skins. If the second case, would you be willing to provide some example skin xml code to show how it is done?

would dearly love to have something like this available in most Kodi skins.

Wyrm (AppTV)
Hi I also posted the same with older username here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2962901
I don´t know if you can build it in natively. But e.g. Emby (or Plex) create files *.BIF for that small thumbs.
If the native building in the Kodi software doesn´t work maybe you can develop a reader for that *.BIF files.
Or maybe there will be a metadata creator (E.g. tmm ) that could create those files for Kodi as a single file. That would be great.
Waiting for years for such a function.
Thx.
E.g. in the emby server you can create every 5 minutes a thumbnail from the video. These thumbnails are in that special *.BIF file integrated. If you ff/fr the clip emby can see those thumbs and display them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeline Preview like Netflix or YouTube does0