• 1(current)
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets
Thumbs Up 
As discussed in the related feature suggestion thread that can be found about porting XBMC for Linux to PowerPC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32320

Araldor and I are correctly actively working on porting XBMC for Linux to compile on PowerPC.

I am personally working on the powerpc-linux version build, using OpenGL (Mac Mini G4 PPC),
Araldor is working on the powerpc64-linux version build, without OpenGL (PS3 PPC64).

The current status on my own side is:
- GUI fully working, still some colour issues.
- Audio playback working with MADCodec.
- Video playback working with DVDPlayer.

Here is a first patch to simply include the two targets in the compilation scripts, and to seek for the right library names:
http://www.4shared.com/file/53228259/dd6...1diff.html

Other patches are coming to fix little/big endian issues (wrong colors, noisy sound). I must clean my code and review with Araldor before.

Could this patch be commit to SVN please?

Huh
i don't like to add those header changes before the libraries actually exists. the header update should be part of the same commit as the libraries themself. i will commit the other two small things though

and can you please make a patch per feature, not a patch per file.

cheers
Thumbs Up 
FYI; our guidelines for the prefered patch format are available in the XBMC Online Manual (wiki):
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_submit_a_patch
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Appendix_D:_...ment_Notes

PS! The SourceForge trackers are offline now while we are in the process of moving to TRAC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
OK, here is a new feature: "MP3 playback working on powerpc-linux platform"

You will find a diff and a shared library here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/53488719/232...cktar.html

The files concerned are:
XBMC/xbmc/cores/paplayer/DllMadCodec.h
XBMC/xbmc/cores/paplayer_linux.cpp
XBMC/system/players/paplayer/MADCodec-powerpc-linux.so

The library MADCodec.so has been compiled from XBMC/sources/paplayer/MP3Codec without any modification (thank you linux).
New feature: "ID3TAGs support for powerpc-linux"

One file modified and one new shared library:
http://www.4shared.com/file/53492270/58b...agtar.html

Regards
-Cedric
both commited - cheers. i assume the second one didn't require any changes to the id3 sources
Question 
Doesn't the .so libraries have to be compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit?

Thanks again!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:Doesn't the .so libraries have to be compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit?

Thanks again!

Likely, but he may not be able to do both from his machine. Though you're right that the file names should reflect the target better.
spiff Wrote:both commited - cheers. i assume the second one didn't require any changes to the id3 sources
Indeed, I forgot to mention it.
No modification needed in sources/libid3tag
malloc Wrote:Likely, but he may not be able to do both from his machine. Though you're right that the file names should reflect the target better.

You right, I can not generate powerpc64-linux libraries with my macmini, except with cross-compilation, but I am not sure of how to do that. I will ask Araldor for these libraries.
cedric Wrote:You right, I can not generate powerpc64-linux libraries with my macmini, except with cross-compilation, but I am not sure of how to do that. I will ask Araldor for these libraries.

I'm a little worried about where to go with ppc64 at the moment. There isn't great support in Debian and Ubuntu for a pure 64-bit user land, and it doesn't appear that there is a 64-bit version of all of xbmc's dependent libraries in the powerpc arch. I don't think I'm ready to think about other distros.

Multiarch seems to be the future for Debian and Ubuntu. So, I think we'll see mixed 32/64 userland support improving over time for power, and I don't think there's much effort going into pure 64-bit for power.

Since, xbmc builds and runs okay on a ppc64 machine with a ppc64 kernel and a 32-bit userland. I'm starting to think we should just focus on 32-bit powerpc and forget about ppc64 until distro support improves.

Comments? Does anyone actually run a pure ppc64 distro that wants xbmc support?
As long as your forward progress isn't hindering future ability to go pure 64-bit I don't see why this would be a problem.
araldor Wrote:Since, xbmc builds and runs okay on a ppc64 machine with a ppc64 kernel and a 32-bit userland. I'm starting to think we should just focus on 32-bit powerpc and forget about ppc64 until distro support improves.
Does it mean we could simply use powerpc32 shared objects instead of the 64 bits ones ? If it is the case, when building powerpc64-linux target, we could define both flags _POWERPC and _POWERPC64, so that when a 64bits library is missing, the 32bit one would be used instead.
I don't think it would just be when the library is missing. It would probably be like the AMD64 architecture. You can run 32-bit binaries, but if you do, all of the libraries need to be 32-bit as well.
cedric Wrote:Does it mean we could simply use powerpc32 shared objects instead of the 64 bits ones ? If it is the case, when building powerpc64-linux target, we could define both flags _POWERPC and _POWERPC64, so that when a 64bits library is missing, the 32bit one would be used instead.

I'm afraid not. If you want to run a 64-bit XBMC, then all of the libraries it links to need to be 64-bit versions.

It's likely that we could build ppc64 versions of all of the XBMC libraries in the sources/. However, many of the other libaries that XBMC relies on don't have ppc64 versions in debian or ubuntu (SDL, libfreetype, liblzo, etc.). I don't want to maintain ppc64 versions of all of those libraries and their dependencies.

I'd rather focus on powerpc32 at the moment.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCHES] PPC (PowerPC) Linux support for powerpc-linux and powerpc64-linux targets1