Solved Remote control key for Channel guide in Live TV
When watching Live-TV (fullscreen) , if I have an IR keyboard in use, I can press the key "g" and a guide pops up on left side showing program times for the whole day, only for the channel currently on screen.
I would like to know if its possible to do this with a remote control key, as I don't like the idea of using a big keyboard.
Any pointers appreciated.
You could map the 'g' key to any button you like.
You can edit the .xml directly or use a very handy add-on called Keymap Editor which lets you select a function and press the desired key for convenience.
The add-on is in the Kodi repo under program add-ons.

(2019-06-05, 08:50)senzalice Wrote: When watching Live-TV (fullscreen) , if I have an IR keyboard in use, I can press the key "g" and a guide pops up on left side showing program times for the whole day, only for the channel currently on screen.
I would like to know if its possible to do this with a remote control key, as I don't like the idea of using a big keyboard.
Any pointers appreciated.
Keymaps (wiki) for more details...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@Atreyu  @DarrenHill   ...  thanks for your replies.

I tried Keymap Editor under FullScreenVideo/Windows  and used ActivateWindow(TVChannels) and ActivateWindow(TVGuide) to assign a remote key.
They both worked but NOT the result I was looking for.

ActivateWindow(TVGuide) pops up a guide for ALL channels.
I'm looking for the current channel guide only....which pops up if I pressed the letter "g" on a keyboard (as mentioned in my first post)

I actually think that Keymap Editor does not have this option...if it did, it would be named like this perhaps...  ActivateWindow(ChannelGuide)

I also tried to look at the .xml file but not sure what to do there.
Try ActivateWindow(PVRChannelGuide) as the action you assign to your remote key.

If you look in the default keyboard keymap that's what the "g" key is defined as triggering when under full screen live TV and I think is the action you want (search that xml file for <g> to find all three entries where the g key action is set up under different windows).

If the editor does not have that option, you can easily make your own keymap manually and set it up. Details of how to do that are in the wiki link I posted above (or just ask and we can walk you through it).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Yes, my bad.
The keymap Editor addon doesn't seem to be able to map the function. Looks like it can use an update. Sry for the misinformation.
I tried  ActivateWindow(PVRChannelGuide) ...but no luck.

(2019-06-07, 02:04)DarrenHill Wrote: If the editor does not have that option, ...
I decided to go back to Keymap Editor and after a number of trials, found what I was looking for.
In my case, I used "Edit/Fullscreen Live TV/Windows/Open PVR OSD Guide -"
I assigned one of my remote keys to it...and presto...it works !!

So now when i'm watching a channel, one key press and the daily guide pops up...instead of 5 key presses.
Appreciate the help given.
(2019-06-07, 10:15)senzalice Wrote: I tried  ActivateWindow(PVRChannelGuide) ...but no luck.

(2019-06-07, 02:04)DarrenHill Wrote: If the editor does not have that option, ...
I decided to go back to Keymap Editor and after a number of trials, found what I was looking for.
In my case, I used "Edit/Fullscreen Live TV/Windows/Open PVR OSD Guide -"

So now when i'm watching a channel, one key press and the daily guide pops up...instead of 5 key presses.
Appreciate the help given.

Could you post a pic of the key map “control” text you used to successfully do this , I have reffered to key map in the wiki numerous times over the years for various options but never been able to figure it out.
I tried and couldn't get it to work. Glad you succeeded.

Could you post the exact steps and resulting content of the .xml in case someone else runs into this ?

Atreyu
For reference, the Keymap Editor creates a file gen.xml which you can find in the keymaps sub-folder within your userdata (wiki) folder.

As noted above, if you can post the content of that file here (it's just a text file in xml format) it would be useful for others in the future perhaps.

Kodi Blog Posts
Like you discovered

(2019-06-07, 10:15)senzalice Wrote: In my case, I used "Edit/Fullscreen Live TV/Windows/Open PVR OSD Guide -"

..generates

<key id="254">activatewindow(pvrosdguide)</key>

Just tried it. I think I might leave it in place Wink
(2019-06-07, 19:45)DarrenHill Wrote: For reference, the Keymap Editor creates a file gen.xml which you can find in the keymaps sub-folder within your userdata (wiki) folder.

As noted above, if you can post the content of that file here (it's just a text file in xml format) it would be useful for others in the future perhaps.

As already noted by @Atreyu, here is my gen.xml file

<keymap>
<fullscreenlivetv>
<keyboard>
<key id="61622">activatewindow(pvrosdguide)</key>
</keyboard>
</fullscreenlivetv>
</keymap>

My key id 61622,  is just the Home key on my remote.
Also there's a default function of when watching a channel, a long press on "OK" or the "Enter" key, pops up the Channel list, handy to switch channels. Wink
Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control key for Channel guide in Live TV0