Accessing NTFS drives on network
something could have gotten messed up during install id do a clean install and id go with 19.04 instead of 18 even though 18 is LTS might be worth looking into
why is megerfs neeeded.
it seems more trouble than it is worth
(2019-06-09, 23:12)mufc Wrote: why is megerfs neeeded.
it seems more trouble than it is worth
if you only have one drive with the media on it its not

i could get around not using it if i was to add an extra media folder to my chroot jail.

Then Mount the second hard drive and then bind its media directory's to the second folder in my jail.

so it would look like this

/mnt/hard-drive-1
/mnt/hard-drive-2

###### Jail mounts Read Only #####

/orion/home/media/hard-drive-1
/orion/home/media/hard-drive-2

and id have to bind them in fstab like this

/mnt/hard-drive-1 /orion/home/media/hard-drive-1 bind 0 0

/mnt/hard-drive-2 /orion/home/media/hard-drive-2 bind 0 0

so in kodi i would have my media library like this

tv
/media/hard-drive-1/TV
/media/hard-drive-2/TV
/media/hard-drive-1/Films
/media/hard-drive-2/Films

compared to

/media/TV
/media/Films

hope that helps explain mergerfs use in this case a bit better
Can we try something. just one hard drive for now
/srv/nfs/Video/
this is where most videos are
as I said before I can ssh into the drive using file manager but not kodi
ssh://ipaddress/srv/nfs/Video/BluRays/
this gets me into the folder.
Not sure why Kodi makes it so difficult
thats a step in the right direction if you make a second mount point like you did for your first hard drive then repeat the process of mounting then add the second media folder to the kodi library like you did the first.

i had some fun Getting it running when i first set it all up in fedora 28, kubuntu 19 was the fastest setup yet for me.

Kodi makes it difficult 90% of the time i wonder if part of that has something to do with anti-piracy chances are im wrong there tho.

if you get kodi to see your files on the first drive then your 90% of the way there
my guess is kodi is having trouble locating the media, it might be a case its looking at an empty folder instead of the actual media location. bare in mind you have to scan your media into the kodi library for it to populate its internal database
if you're still having troubles id do a clean install and start from scratch if you haven't done so already, you wont need to worry about user groups as your not using a chroot jail
thanks everybody but I have company now and have to go back to work tomorrow. make no mistake I will persevere and stay in touch
might also be worth uninstalling kodi sudo apt-get purge kodi or sudo apt-get uninstall kodi.

then go to your home folder and make sure you can see hidden files in dolphin kodi has a folder named .kodi in your home directory delete that and re install kodi

sometimes my kodi install refuses to contact to my server doing that clears it up, you will loose your watch status and you will have to rescan your lubary into kodi but thats why i use a mysql database as its primary database
(2019-06-10, 01:04)mufc Wrote: thanks everybody but I have company now and have to go back to work tomorrow. make no mistake I will persevere and stay in touch
take it easy and keep us updated good luck [emoji3]
I have gone back to windows temporarily while i launch a few Virtual Boxes and install samba and ssh. so far the Ubuntu/kubuntu flavors are much friendlier when it comes to samba.
linux Mint that i was hoping to use will not install samba.
Still working on getting ready to test starting friday.
all I want to do is connect from my Ubuntu budgie laptop (not averse to changing flavors) ...sorry gotta leave fro work ...reply not completed
aye some distros seem more flexible than others might be something different with versions of the same flavour
To finish this mornings post. i have virtual boxes of Ubuntu 19.04, Ubuntu budgie and mate and kubuntu. i will be trying all of them with samba and ssh. i might have to give Linux Mint a pass. Any other distros worth trying that are ssh friendly?
Fedora is very ssh friendly comes installed by default you just have to disable root login
and comment out the bind/listen address if you want remote access
OK. I am now ready to try something. My client is running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (a bit disappointed it is the LTS version but I have it set up the way a like it. a lot of work) and the server is running Ubuntu Budgie 19.04. Both are backed up and ready to be fooled with.
I know you spent a lot of time explaining ssh to me yoda but first i would like to see if NFS or Samba will be good enough for me.
Client is running Kodi and the server has my other hard drives mounted at /mnt
NFS first
I will document every step

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing NTFS drives on network0