Win HDR Passthrough, is it being worked on for Windows?
This is both a feature request and an update request. Is there any chance for proper HDR support in Kodi Matrix for Windows?

I understand the overall situation surrounding HDR in Windows it's pretty messy. So bear in mind I'm not demanding anything, just asking.

Thank you.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Some of the team own HDR units, so it's likely there is head on fast forward efforts, when it comes available we'll all know.
HDR passthrough is being actively worked for Linux so is likely to land first there. This is because the open source community are all working towards this goal, Intel devs are doing API and Linux kernel changes, AMD devs are adjusting their driver based on the kernel work being done, ffmpeg devs are doing necessary adjustments to their code, and Kodi devs have prepared our code for the Linux platforms to take advantage. We are in direct communication with the Intel devs who are doing the kernel changes and we provide them test builds as they need to demonstrate potential application support to get some changes accepted into the Linux kernel. It helps enormously when everyone is pulling in the same direction like this.

With Windows things are a lot more fragmented and to be honest I'm not sure what the current API situation is, as for any Windows implementation there needs to be DirectX API's. Tone mapping was recently updated in v19 Nightlies to take advantage of API's introduced in the Oct 2018 Win 10 update which allows the tone mapping to be done by the GPU (at least that's my understanding). What's not clear is if the Win 10 API's allow passthrough yet, and if so do any GPU vendors use them in their drivers. As Win 10 has been slow in this regard many of the GPU vendors produced there own private API's which only work with their products, we will not support these. With Windows we currently have a sole dev capable of doing any work in this regard, and he currently has a busy personal life, so it's doubtful he has had the time to look into the whether anything has changed, certainty to my knowledge nothing is being worked on for Windows.
Thanks for the information @jjd-uk. Thus continues the need for external players/DSPlayer for Windows users. I'm unfortunately well aware of the mess that currently HDR is in Windows, so there's no bitterness in my words towards you devs, be assured.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR Passthrough, is it being worked on for Windows?0