Disc Number id3 tag being ignored. Is there a workaround?
I have quite a large music library, about 1.5Tb, consisting of mainly high quality mp3 files.

All are tagged correctly, and include the discnumber x of y tag. So disc 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 of a 3cd set are tagged 1/3, 2/3, and 3/3.

All of my music players including iTunes interpret the tags correctly. Kodi, however does not. When I click on an album it displays 3 x track 1s followed by 3 x track 2s and so on. The new Bob Dylan box has 14 x 1, 14 x 2 which is even worse!

The tags in the files are correct and also checked with mp3tag.

My question is how can I get Kodi to list the tracks correctly in disc order? Is there a workaround or kludge that won't involve splitting sets into individual disc folders, which is impractical. I've followed the best practice for tagging my files, so how do I get kodi to play nice?

For reference, my file name conventions are as follows:

Single artist single disc: Artist/Album/track(nn) - title
Single artist multi disc: Artist/Album/disc number(n)- track(nn) - title
Multi artist single disc: Compilations/Album/track(nn) - artist - title
Multi artist multi disc: Compilations/Album/discnumber(n)-track(nn) - artist - title

There must be a way to give Kodi a tweak so it displays music files correctly. I can see people have requested this in t he past but I've trawled the forum and haven't found the answer.

Keep up the good work!
If your mp3 files are tagged "correctly" then disc number will be in TPOS and track number in TRCK tags i.e. separate tags not a x of y string (that is probably just how some tagging software shows the values  combined). Also file naming is irrelevant to the music library.

I suspect that your issue is that you do NOT have "track" selected as the sort order for songs. View the songs for an album and change the sort order on the side blade, that order (which allows for both disc and track) will then be used whenever songs are listed or added to the current playlist.
(2019-06-15, 00:47)DaveBlake Wrote: If your mp3 files are tagged "correctly" then disc number will be in TPOS and track number in TRCK tags i.e. separate tags not a x of y string (that is probably just how some tagging software shows the values  combined).

First I must say thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

They are indeed two separate values but normally expressed as x of y for clarity. There are a large number of people who don't know how to use these tags correctly and submit 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 instead of the correct values.

Quote:View the songs for an album and change the sort order on the side blade....

OK you got me. I thought I had a reasonable grasp of terminology but I must confess I understand the individual words in that phrase but together I'm baffled. What's a side blade?

It would be useful to add some information to the kodi wiki, which has a section about the track naming template, which gives all the available variables including %S for disc number. However it doesn't however show how to use these to best effect other than giving the default setting. I apologise if I'm asking something obvious to a programmer, but what do the square brackets around the track number signify?

By experimentation I've managed to display the disc number at the start of each track, which does fix the issue, albeit looking a bit messy, but this seems to be on the right track. Now tracks are listed correctly in disc, then track order. Is there a way to use but not necessarily display the disc number?

If not at least I now have a workaround, and can listen to the 14cd Dylan Rolling Thunder box set in the right order!

Again thanks for the help and any further assistance greatly appreciated.
(2019-06-16, 00:12)Wondermouse Wrote: What's a side blade?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Sideblade_Menu

(2019-06-16, 00:12)Wondermouse Wrote: It would be useful to add some information to the kodi wiki, which has a section about the track naming template, which gives all the available variables including %S for disc number.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Music#All
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You most likely have Sort By: Name selected as the sort method

As Dave has said, to sort by disc and track numbers (this is the default sort method so it must have been changed) select Sort by: Track

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disc Number id3 tag being ignored. Is there a workaround?0