Boxee Box remember me? XMBC/Kodi will not boot from USB2.0 with Boxee+Hacks installed
I have 4 Boxee Box units, a Rev A1, 2-Rev B2 and a Rev B3 (my wife worked for D-Link 14 years, then got laid off .... like Boxee Box). I've been fooling around with Boxee Boxes since they came out, one the first to install Boxee + Hack, argued with D-Link execs not to turn off the support server (they value money far more and complained about the expense over screwing over tens of thousands of owners.

Anyway, a little over two weeks ago, all the Boxee Boxes we have now completely refuse to run, balking at the login, which it used to ignore after the servers were turned off. So now I've tried to install the last version on XMBC on but a Rev A1 and a Rev B2 Boxee Box (both having Boxee + Hacks install and were running fine till 10 days ago.  I've freshly formatted 2 USB 2.0 thumb drives to FAT and copied over all the XMBC files, the USB drives are named XMBC, Neither Boxee Box will boot to XMBC, does the usual Boxee OS load, then the Boxee + Hack load and then the "Red Face" can't log in a dilemma.

I need HELP!  What am I doing wrong?
I've tried the Formating of the USB 2.0 Flash Drives FAT32, FAT and exFAT with a PC running Win 10, ALL the XMBC files are in the Root of the USB drive, i've tried 3 different USB 2.0 drives including a brand new one (getting hard to find USB 2.0 Drives)

What I see is (as an amateur coder) is that there is no file in the XMBC files that is an "install" file as there is in "Boxee+Hacks" hack. XMBC is a bin file. Can Boxee Box boot from a bin file?
Firstly: it is/was XBMC, and not XMBC. Wink

Secondly: Boxee hardware is prehistorically old by now in computer and htpc terms, and Boxee software was a XBMC fork. So basically it's out of our hands. Kodi is not a Boxee representative. If Boxee servers went down, then that's likely the end of it.

I can only suggest you replace the non-working Boxees devices with something simple like a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (or something equally compatible), which can easily be fitted with a working and uptodate Kodi release.
(2019-06-20, 01:35)Klojum Wrote: Firstly: it is/was XBMC, and not XMBC. Wink

Secondly: Boxee hardware is prehistorically old by now in computer and htpc terms, and Boxee software was a XBMC fork. So basically it's out of our hands. Kodi is not a Boxee representative. If Boxee servers went down, then that's likely the end of it.

I can only suggest you replace the non-working Boxees devices with something simple like a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (or something equally compatible), which can easily be fitted with a working and uptodate Kodi release.
Oh SORRY I asked.  And SO SORRY I misspelled XBMC ...... for your information hundreds of people STILL use their Boxee Boxes and DLink turned off the servers over 2 years ago, but the boxes continued operation without and a lot of users 2 years ago installed XBMC w/ Kodi, I just decided to try and it does not boot as so many threads on other sites said it should. I was looking for recent help.

So SORRY to BOTHER you, you can go back to your mommy's basement now. Jerk.
(2019-06-20, 06:59)cobrajocky Wrote:
(2019-06-20, 01:35)Klojum Wrote: Firstly: it is/was XBMC, and not XMBC. Wink

Oh SORRY I asked.  And SO SORRY I misspelled XBMC ...... for your information hundreds of people STILL use their Boxee Boxes and DLink turned off the servers over 2 years ago, but the boxes continued operation without and a lot of users 2 years ago installed XBMC w/ Kodi, I just decided to try and it does not boot as so many threads on other sites said it should. I was looking for recent help.

So SORRY to BOTHER you, you can go back to your mommy's basement now. Jerk.  
The internet is not your strong suit, you should leave and never come back. 

It boggles the mind how you managed to misunderstand everything he said. At no point did he show any hostility and this is how you come back? What a clown.
Boxee as a platform is dead so get over it and move on. Why?

Firstly as mentioned XBMC on Boxee was a community build with zero input from anyone here, I see the forum that provided the releases and support is now dead http://boxeed.in/ and while the github page is still up for the code https://github.com/quarnster/boxeebox-xbmc but last update was over 4 years ago.

Boxee used a pretty weak 10 year old Intel Atom processor, so most modern £20-£30 (or dollar) boxes will now vastly outperform it.

If you are insistant on trying to get it working then from a quick Google then your best bet would seem be asking here https://www.reddit.com/r/boxee/
(2019-06-20, 06:59)cobrajocky Wrote: So SORRY to BOTHER you, you can go back to your mommy's basement now. Jerk.

One tip: don't piss off the guy with the nuclear button under his fingers. If necessary, your forum account can and will be terminated instantly.
You can either start to grow up and make sense in your following post(s), or you can start searching for your Boxee support elsewhere online.

Anyhow, this is not the Boxee support forum.
Seems someone is working on it https://www.reddit.com/r/boxee/comments/..._just_yet/

But I'd still advise ditching the Boxee Box.
(2019-06-20, 11:29)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-20, 06:59)cobrajocky Wrote: So SORRY to BOTHER you, you can go back to your mommy's basement now. Jerk.

One tip: don't piss off the guy with the nuclear button under his fingers. If necessary, your forum account can and will be terminated instantly.
You can either start to grow up and make sense in your following post(s), or you can start searching for your Boxee support elsewhere online.

Anyhow, this is not the Boxee support forum
---------------------------------------------------
Ooooooo I'm so afraid!  No wonder everyone says all you Kodi people are pretencious jerks. You proved it, Mr "Nuclear Button" 
(2019-07-02, 00:44)cobrajocky Wrote: Ooooooo I'm so afraid!  No wonder everyone says all you Kodi people are pretencious jerks.

Strike #2.
(2019-06-20, 00:30)cobrajocky Wrote: I have 4 Boxee Box units, a Rev A1, 2-Rev B2 and a Rev B3 (my wife worked for D-Link 14 years, then got laid off .... like Boxee Box). I've been fooling around with Boxee Boxes since they came out, one the first to install Boxee + Hack, argued with D-Link execs not to turn off the support server (they value money far more and complained about the expense over screwing over tens of thousands of owners.

Anyway, a little over two weeks ago, all the Boxee Boxes we have now completely refuse to run, balking at the login, which it used to ignore after the servers were turned off. So now I've tried to install the last version on XMBC on but a Rev A1 and a Rev B2 Boxee Box (both having Boxee + Hacks install and were running fine till 10 days ago.  I've freshly formatted 2 USB 2.0 thumb drives to FAT and copied over all the XMBC files, the USB drives are named XMBC, Neither Boxee Box will boot to XMBC, does the usual Boxee OS load, then the Boxee + Hack load and then the "Red Face" can't log in a dilemma.

I need HELP!  What am I doing wrong?
I've tried the Formating of the USB 2.0 Flash Drives FAT32, FAT and exFAT with a PC running Win 10, ALL the XMBC files are in the Root of the USB drive, i've tried 3 different USB 2.0 drives including a brand new one (getting hard to find USB 2.0 Drives)

What I see is (as an amateur coder) is that there is no file in the XMBC files that is an "install" file as there is in "Boxee+Hacks" hack. XMBC is a bin file. Can Boxee Box boot from a bin file?

The answer is yes..I am currently running 2 boxes with ver 1.6 hack, XBMC ver 15 Alpha, Amber skin primarily for my IPTV account. Some but not all 3rd party addons work. More reliable than Android boxes that seem to expire after a year or two.
Go the official website and download the Install.Zip file
Format your USB drive FAT 32 with label BOXEE.
Copy the all the “Install” Zip file on your USB.
Insert the USB on the Boxee Box and set up the device.
Find and tap on Settings, Network, Servers and enable the Windows File Sharing option.
From your Host name add: sh /media/BOXEE/install.sh and check it looks like boxeebox;sh /media/BOXEE/install.sh.
Restart your device to begin the installation procedure. Now access to the root device.

Source
(2020-11-18, 09:29)bryanthhen Wrote: Go the official website and download the Install.Zip file

Perhaps you can emphasize exactly where to find that install.zip file, because I cannot find it.
As far as I can tell, there is no more Boxee website.
This is setting off my spammer spidey-sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box remember me? XMBC/Kodi will not boot from USB2.0 with Boxee+Hacks installed0