Graphics card for windows, Nvidia or AMD for full 4K support
Hi all.

Since there are new graphics cards coming out which is best to upgrade my older graphics card.

I am after a card that fully supports every format in 4K like hdr, 60hz playback and x265. Basically a card that can do it all and streaming 4K services.

Do I need hdmi 2.1 and are the new cards supporting this.

Any help would be great as there are offers on cards now.
(2019-06-20, 08:11)meridius Wrote: Hi all.

Since there are new graphics cards coming out which is best to upgrade my older graphics card.

I am after a card that fully supports every format in 4K like hdr, 60hz playback and x265. Basically a card that can do it all and streaming 4K services.

I’m pretty sure both nVidia and AMD have supported all the above since at least the previous generation. You might have more trouble with windows itself regarding frame rate switching and HDR which can both be a hassle I understand.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03...c-games-2/
So there is no problems with an AMD or nivida gfx card and nothing I have to watch out for.

So these cards support hdmi 2.1 or does this not mater as much on a pc
(2019-06-21, 16:28)meridius Wrote: So there is no problems with an AMD or nivida gfx card and nothing I have to watch out for.

'No problems' is something that occurs in in a perfect world. Kodi development is never finished when it comes to graphics cards. One current example: HDR support, it's still a work-in-progress. Wink
I’m not sure any cards support hdmi 2.1 as that’s a different cable but you only need 2.0a or 2.0b for 4K HDR. What cards specifically are you looking at?
(2019-06-20, 08:11)meridius Wrote: Hi all.

Many cards will now support h.264 decode, 2160p60 output and HDR - as do Intel GPUs on-board modern Intel CPUs.  However Windows and Linux support for HDR is varied - and far from perfect.

Also be aware that some formats (UHD Blu-ray for instance) also require a modern CPU with new security extensions to enable replay via official players.  (UHD Rips play without this requirement)

HDMI 2.1 isn't required for UHD HDR Blu-ray level replay (nor is it needed for Dolby Vision or HLG output) 

The HDMI numbering scheme can get a bit confusing as there are hard differences between formats (such as bandwidth increases with newer formats) that require specific hardware support, and there are signalling differences that can often be back ported in software (as they just add new metadata standards that can be carried on older hardware)
Hi thanks for helping out, I am looking at the Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5. what windows would you use as I have windows 7 but would windows 10 be better ?

would these cards support HDR and HDR+ as well as the dolby vision and streaming format HDR and would it play back support 4k60hz ?

thanks
(2019-06-23, 21:16)meridius Wrote: Hi thanks for helping out, I am looking at the Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5. what windows would you use as I have windows 7 but would windows 10 be better ?

would these cards support HDR and HDR+ as well as the dolby vision and streaming format HDR and would it play back support 4k60hz ?

thanks

I believe HDR is only supported in Windows 10 at the OS level, and not Windows 7.  I can't comment on that specific card, and I'd only expect HDR10 (i.e. an ST.2084 PQ EOTF with static metadata)  Unless you have a display that has a massive need for dynamic metadata (which HDR10+ and Dolby Vision provide) then you may not see a huge difference (and in some cases dynamic metadata can create its own artefacts)
I am running a Radeon RX 580 with Kodi-DSPlayer 17.6.  HDR and the HD audio formats are working great through a Pioneer LX503 receiver to a LG 65C9 OLED.  The overall PQ is amazing.  I am stunned how good 1080P content gets up-rezed.  I had a GTX 1050 Ti card which worked great on 4k but was not compatible with the Pioneer LX503 receiver, it refused to pass-through the 4k video.  A GTX 1060 card had the same problem.
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
I was looking at the rx570 as they seem to be hitting a good price would a 4gb card or 8gb do as I am sure I read somewhere that you needed a min of 4gb to run all 4k content as some people where trying to play 4k streaming and had 2gb & 3gb cards where having problems with memory management.

thanks
(2019-06-24, 23:17)meridius Wrote: I was looking at the rx570 as they seem to be hitting a good price would a 4gb card or 8gb do as I am sure I read somewhere that you needed a min of 4gb to run all 4k content as some people where trying to play 4k streaming and had 2gb & 3gb cards where having problems with memory management.

thanks

I assume you have gaming in mind or you’d just be getting a fanless GT 1030 which is the usual choice for 4K media. For gaming you want minimum 4GB gong forward anyway. As for the 570 I’ve seen the 580 get good reports for 4K use, the 570 is probably identical being the same family but I’d do some searching to make sure.
The 570 would be just the same for 4K video playback as the 580 would it not ? also do these cards support Netflix HDR and also the vega cards as I am going to get one of them as well for main machine

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Graphics card for windows, Nvidia or AMD for full 4K support1