UK crackdown and arrest over illegal add-ons :)
(2019-06-30, 12:43)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: You can't compare a Web browser to a media player. A Web browser has far more functionality than just playing media (I understand that everything on the Web from Web pages to videos is media but Web browsers are very much different)

Let's just use the videobcodecs as an example. Show me somewhere you can buy avengers endgame as a digital file to put on your media server. They were created to reproduce and share copyrighted material either direct from your TV through PVR front ends or buy cracking DMR proted video discs. Putting MP4 playback as part of the DVDplayer (your own media player developed by you) enables piracy. There is no mp4 file that is not a pirated file. Instead of saying "you wrong, your wrong, your wrong" show me a website that allows you to download legally (whether paid or free) mp4 files.

(Apart from the terrible videos we create ourselves with our phones) 
I'm struggling to see what you want here (not just this post).
For kodi to be locked down?
For Team Kodi to say they're enabling piracy?
Something else?
Huh
(2019-06-30, 12:43)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: Putting MP4 playback as part of the DVDplayer (your own media player developed by you) enables piracy.
Geez... You have brainwashed yourself to unmatched levels, really.

(2019-06-30, 12:43)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: There is no mp4 file that is not a pirated file. Instead of saying "you wrong, your wrong, your wrong" show me a website that allows you to download legally (whether paid or free) mp4 files.
Here is an example: http://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/big-buck-bunny-0
(2019-06-30, 13:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-30, 12:50)trogggy Wrote: Putting MP4 playback as part of the DVDplayer (your own media player developed by you) enables piracy.
Geez... You have brainwashed yourself to unmatched levels, really.
(2019-06-30, 12:50)trogggy Wrote: There is no mp4 file that is not a pirated file. Instead of saying "you wrong, your wrong, your wrong" show me a website that allows you to download legally (whether paid or free) mp4 files.
Here is an example: http://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/big-buck-bunny-0 
Those aren't my words.
(2019-06-30, 13:06)trogggy Wrote: Those aren't my words.
Oops... Quoted from the wrong section. Sorry.
(2019-06-30, 13:08)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-30, 13:06)trogggy Wrote: Those aren't my words.
Oops... Quoted from the wrong section. Sorry.
No problem. Deleting my original whinge.
edit: aaaaaargh... can't see how to delete now.  I'm sure that used to be a simple thing.
I'd also like to see how an unmodified Kodi install (with nothing 3rd party added into it via a zip file or a 3rd party repo) can be used for piracy purposes directly. Yes it can play local media files which the user may themselves have obtained from elsewhere via dubious means, but as I said before what they do is entirely down to them and their responsibility.

I have the same question as @trogggy above - quite where is this actually going and what do people want? We cannot and will not nanny our users and control what they do with the software and how they act. It's entirely their responsibility for their own actions, and anyone who comes here with the "I didn't know" or "it's your fault for allowing me to do it" will get very short shrift I'm afraid.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-06-30, 13:23)DarrenHill Wrote: I have the same question as @trogggy above - quite where is this actually going and what do people want? 
Its going in the direction of feeding a troll.
I could pick countless holes in the statements made here but I'm pretty sure I would break forum rules doing so, hence my previous suggestion about this thread.
@trogggy sums it up best, nothing is going to be achieved here.
Looking over this thread is just another reminder to me of how these silly rules created by disingenuous politicians for the benefit of the masses, but really serve the elites and have obfuscated the base issues of an artist enjoying the fruits of his labour.

Copy-write has fallen for most silent films, a lot of films have fallen into the public domain or created to be. To assume that all media is a signature of digital rights is misleading, and to suggest that all music in digital format has ownership beyond the originating artist is folly. Copy-write in it's present form took a hit when the owner of the lyric 'Happy Birthday', made demands. 

Kodi as a software tool does provide access to most of this material, but it is the user that must decide what they want to do with it. Knives are available everywhere, I doubt the majority would suggest the tool be eliminated even if it does have the potential to do bad. The forum likes to follow the rules not because we want to police the world, but to keep the forum open to the vast majority; as support for one of the nicest pieces of open source software that exists.

Happy birthday 'Canada'.
Stole my thoughts there. But that's ok, most of those aren't copyrighted anyway Wink

(2019-07-01, 19:18)PatK Wrote: Looking over this thread is just another reminder to me of how these silly rules created by disingenuous politicians for the benefit of the masses, but really serve the elites and have obfuscated the base issues of an artist enjoying the fruits of his labour.

Copy-write has fallen for most silent films, a lot of films have fallen into the public domain or created to be. To assume that all media is a signature of digital rights is misleading, and to suggest that all music in digital format has ownership beyond the originating artist is folly. Copy-write in it's present form took a hit when the owner of the lyric 'Happy Birthday', made demands. 

Kodi as a software tool does provide access to most of this material, but it is the user that must decide what they want to do with it. Knives are available everywhere, I doubt the majority would suggest the tool be eliminated even if it does have the potential to do bad. The forum likes to follow the rules not because we want to police the world, but to keep the forum open to the vast majority; as support for one of the nicest pieces of open source software that exists.

Happy birthday 'Canada'.
whatwentwrong81 Wrote:It's all a bit ridiculous anyway. "kodi against piracy" the only things you can watch on kodi other than YouTube is videos you have downloaded online and watch off of a server/shitty old computer with sickbeard and sabnzb on it. So it's all pirated anyway even if not coming from a pirate site directly.

A fairly a parochial view - all things considered... I mean just look at the add-on links in my signature alone... 

British Film Institute, Imperial War Museum, British Council Film, Japanese Animated Classics, etc, etc  - 100,000s of hours of films, clips, news reels and footage that is 100% legal to view.
whatwentwrong81 Wrote:"I mean don't get me wrong. We've all downloaded a few years worth of video from torrent sites in the past and maybe 1 or 2 million songs so I'm not judging"

Speak for yourself - I pay for movies, music and games because I am neither a cheap-skate nor a broke-ass punk with a penchant for viruses. Never stole a thing in my life.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UK crackdown and arrest over illegal add-ons :)0