UK crackdown and arrest over illegal add-ons :)
(2019-06-28, 23:40)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-28, 22:05)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: "kodi against piracy" the only things you can watch on kodi other than YouTube is videos you have downloaded online and watch off of a server/shitty old computer with sickbeard and sabnzb on it.
"What went wrong..." For starters, you having a skewed view on reality. Perhaps the UK experiences has gotten you a pair of big blinders that resulted in a narrow-view experience. And yes, of course there are more ways to play media on a Kodi device!

(2019-06-28, 22:05)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: So it's all pirated anyway even if not coming from a pirate site directly. (piracy) it's not like netflix has an addon unless they have now but I doubt it.
What a total load of BS.

(2019-06-28, 22:05)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: And I'm pretty sure your major sources of donations are from the android tv box manufacturers so kodi definitely is profiting directly from piracy.
You really are so wrong. Either you are intentionally pissing us off, or your brain must have sustained some serious damage in the last couple of years.

(2019-06-28, 22:05)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: I mean don't get me wrong. We've all downloaded a few years worth of video from torrent sites in the past and maybe 1 or 2 million songs so I'm not judging, just saying.
Again... Your view on Kodi users as a whole may reflect the few friends you have, but unless you have some actual proof regarding your allegations, I strongly suggest you choose the words in your next posts on this forum very wisely.

So the manufacturers don't donate at all. Would think they must do considering their whole income is based on your work

But using pvr to extend a single subscription to multiple rooms is breaking you contract with your provider.

All digital films on a PC that then get streamed cross device to kodi in another room had to be put their illegally (no ifs or buts on that one, the file was on a dvd and should have stayed there)

Also why are they not going after that 1xbet company first. All pirate copies at the moment have an add for a betting site. Problem is it is not in a country that recognises copy right infringement (or just doesn't care)

My argument is that they should force cinemas to halve the price. If the cinema cost 50% less I bet 3 times as many people would go. Creating an increase of 50% in revenue based on the fact that three times the people would go. Most of us are completely out priced from watching all the films we want.

For example, i went to end game and took the kids too, saw detective picachu too. But that cost me £70 with popcorn and drinks. That's a lot on two films. But I also wanted to watch John wick 3 and the kids also wanted to watch dumbo. How else could we have seen them without the addons (that you don't stop but I believe could)

If they were 50% less I would have been able to see them all with my £70 and all 4 films would have received revenue for their work. As it is only marvel and (don't know what company owned the rights to the picachu film) but them too, got some money.

It's not fair. It's like the crappy counterfeit toys on ebay. EBay should close those posts but if they did how many kids would have gone without some sort of toys at Christmas. The lines for LOL toys are clearly counterfeit but they stay up so people who can't afford to buy half a video shops worth of dvds can still let their children play with similar things to their friends

But your right, I clearly have a very narrow view of kodi users. So how does one watch a film on kodi without breaking the law
(2019-06-28, 22:05)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: major sources of donations are from the android tv box manufacturers
Not true, most funding comes from individuals who have donated a few bucks, T-shirt & stuff and a few generous sponsors listed in the forum.

Priced out of the market? Go to school and get a better job. Your arguments are total BS; lacking fundamental understanding, it's not worth the effort to pick them apart.
(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: All digital films on a PC that then get streamed cross device to kodi in another room had to be put their illegally (no ifs or buts on that one, the file was on a dvd and should have stayed there)
Again, a totally narrow-minded view. I don't know what specific laws there are in the UK, but "streaming" to another room in your home is not part of any law I know.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: Also why are they not going after that 1xbet company first.
What does a betting company have to do here with Kodi? Nothing.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: My argument is that they should force cinemas to halve the price.
Again, nothing to directly related to your piracy claims. Going to a cinema may be expensive in your country, this doesn't make _everyone_ an illegal downloader.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: But I also wanted to watch John wick 3 and the kids also wanted to watch dumbo. How else could we have seen them without the addons (that you don't stop but I believe could)
Just like some British music band once sang: "You can't always get what you want.." If you want to resort to 'the addons', that's your choice. Not everyone is like you.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: But your right, I clearly have a very narrow view of kodi users. So how does one watch a film on kodi without breaking the law
Perhaps wait until the DVD/BD disc comes out and buy it? Netflix is an option, although watching it via its Android app may be better than via Kodi (development is ongoing). Use your smartphone and a Google Chromecast and stream it to your TV.

I don't know how old your kids are, but are videos your only type of entertainment these days? What happened to board games and such?
(2019-06-29, 03:25)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: Kodi is a lot like my penis, it has a ten foot user interface and is illegal to usefor 90% of the time.
(2019-06-29, 03:00)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: I am in th UK. You are in Germany and clearly smoking crack.

You really are not getting popularity votes here. This time I'll blame it on the alcohol at 4am in the morning.
Keep it going, and somehow I'll accidentally press the purge option on your forum profile.
(2019-06-29, 07:50)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: All digital films on a PC that then get streamed cross device to kodi in another room had to be put their illegally (no ifs or buts on that one, the file was on a dvd and should have stayed there)
Again, a totally narrow-minded view. I don't know what specific laws there are in the UK, but "streaming" to another room in your home is not part of any law I know.

Except this one

DRM removal is not illegal in the UK; there is no law which prohibits it. But it is outlawed by the EU Copyright Directive. Assuming that eBooks would be considered software, it is illegal to provide a means of circumventing DRM, or to provide information to assist in that.

And this one
The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM

quote='whatwentwrong81' pid='2864403' dateline='1561772773']
Also why are they not going after that 1xbet company first.
What does a betting company have to do here with Kodi? Nothing.

You enable it, that betting company seems to be the main source of pirated films which are on 90% of kodi devices. Kodi enables this, that's my point.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: My argument is that they should force cinemas to halve the price.
Again, nothing to directly related to your piracy claims. Going to a cinema may be expensive in your country, this doesn't make _everyone_ an illegal downloader.

Maybe not an illegal down loader but clearly after the two who have jumped at me, illegal rippers of copyrighted matrrial.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: But I also wanted to watch John wick 3 and the kids also wanted to watch dumbo. How else could we have seen them without the addons (that you don't stop but I believe could)
Just like some British music band once sang: "You can't always get what you want.." If you want to resort to 'the addons', that's your choice. Not everyone is like you.

Again, incorrect. With Kodi we can have everything we want and you do nothing to stop it.

(2019-06-29, 03:46)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: But your right, I clearly have a very narrow view of kodi users. So how does one watch a film on kodi without breaking the law
Perhaps wait until the DVD/BD disc comes out and buy it? Netflix is an option, although watching it via its Android app may be better than via Kodi (development is ongoing). Use your smartphone and a Google Chromecast and stream it to your TV.

Again, those are not things you would use kodi for are they. My TV can do all that on its own. Play dvds, TV and netflix/iplayers

I don't know how old your kids are, but are videos your only type of entertainment these days? What happened to board games and such?
[/quote]

We ride quads and mountain bike too. I'm a single dad with a 4 and 6 year old full time. We have all content I can pay for. Just the addons give us content you cannot pay for like 3 o'clock kick offs.

It really feels like your having ago at the people who are using your media player for the only thing it was meant for. Like a crack pipe manufacturer having a go at crack heads. It's a bit hipocrytical, I understand you need to take the stance and have done. You don't need to continue to try and defend it by slating people for using kodi for what it is Intended to be used for. If it is simply a way to play video files from a server why have the addons in anyway shape or form.

You also never covered the point of being able to stop third party addons. Is it not possible for you to write kodi in a way they would only allow official addons on. Like Ted talks. But then who would down load a video player that only let you watch stuff like that.

You know full well this is made for pirated material to be easily shared. You can slate me and jump up on your high horse all you want but you are enabling the distribution of pirated material simply by being in existence.

And if your only defence to this argument is to purge my profile then do it.
Makes you look quite pathetic and clearly wrong in your stance of "we don't support piracy" you are the number 1 gateway to all copyrighted material whether it's tv film movies or music.
(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: It really feels like your having ago at the people who are using your media player for the only thing it was meant for.
XBMC never started or was designed for online movie streaming. Some add-on makers implemented cryptocurrency handling. Also not our doing.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: You also never covered the point of being able to stop third party addons.
That's simple, we are not the add-on police. We have created the basics for a home entertainment system. Like a simple car. If people want to put on a big turbo on it to make it go faster, it's not our job to keep that car off the road.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: You know full well this is made for pirated material to be easily shared.
Read the history of XBMC. Piracy add-ons only came into play at a later moment.
As already mentioned, some 3rd party developers implemented crypto currency functionality. Is that also our fault?
Kodi is OPEN-SOURCE. It means ANYONE can fork our software, and do WHATEVER they want.
The sad part is, that Team Kodi get all the blame for whatever illegal is going on with it.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: And if your only defence to this argument is to purge my profile then do it.
Pointing your finger at each and everyone of us claiming -we all- download movies illegally is a blatant lie.
And when you start talking about your penis on this forum, that moment of purge will be there sooner rather than later.
What we do support is user choice and freedom.

We supply software which is basically a media player, but we do not provide media. That supply is down to the user, and what they choose to play on Kodi is entirely up to them. But equally as it's their choice, they are also responsible for any consequences that may arise from that choice. We do not support piracy in that we do not allow Kodi to be supplied with media (of any sort) nor do we help people who do choose the darker path to follow.

But we also don't tell people how to live their lives and how to use their computers/devices. This is exactly why we are so against both builds and those crappy "tutorials" on YouTube and the various parasite Kodi "fan" sites that are out there. They tend to obscure or completely remove that user choice, misrepresenting Kodi as being a risk-free path to getting stuff for free (in this case media, TV shows, movies etc) that you should be paying for. Indeed any amount of simple common sense or moments pause for thought should have alarm bells ringing in the heads of even the most naive consumer, but somehow in this world where responsibility is eclipsed by entitlement and plain greed that seems to have gone entirely out of the window.

Kodi is no more a gateway to anything than is Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer/Edge or any other browser of choice, or for that matter any torrent client or suchlike. But like them we will not cut off our legal and legitimate userbase from being able to use the software, nor will we tell them how they can and cannot use it. We are suppliers of free software, not their mothers nor the internet police.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I am not going to join in this "debate" after this post but can I correct one of the misconceptions presented here and often espoused by keyboard lawyers?
It is not legal in the UK to rip media you own, the short lived law allowing such actions was quashed by the High Court back in 2015.

Link
The OP seems to be mainly about sites hosting content they don't have rights to distribute via file sharing or more commonly lately, streaming.  It seems to be a UK thing to blame Kodi for this.  I don't see why any number of different front ends couldn't be used to access streams from these sites.  Unfortunately, in the US various court decisions such as Grokster have made it difficult to determine what end users can do without getting into potential problems.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2019-06-29, 17:34)scott967 Wrote: The OP seems to be mainly about sites hosting content they don't have rights to distribute via file sharing or more commonly lately, streaming.  It seems to be a UK thing to blame Kodi for this.  I don't see why any number of different front ends couldn't be used to access streams from these sites.  Unfortunately, in the US various court decisions such as Grokster have made it difficult to determine what end users can do without getting into potential problems.

scott s.
Well I said I wouldn't post anymore here but, lets not bring nationality into things as happened earlier in the thread.
Yes we do have a vocal minority in the UK amongst the snowflake generation who believe the world owes them everything and if its on the internet then it must be true.
We cannot be unique in having this demographic in our society.
I wanted to correct one misconception that these types bandy around all the time.
I suggest the thread is left as is or closed so that all the other foolish statements remain for every sensible persons amusement.
(2019-06-29, 17:53)stammie Wrote: left as is or closed
+1
Forum threads only get closed when it's absolutely necessary.
watching some youtube and it is the end of kodi
reading some of the comments it is like they don't realise that it is a crime

"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent. The word is also used as an informal shorthand term for some crimes against property, such as burglary, embezzlement, larceny, looting, robbery, shoplifting, fraud and sometimes criminal conversion."
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/25/nyreg...e-zap.html
Cable TV Company Goes After Pirates, in One Zap
By GEORGE JAMESAPRIL 25, 1991
electronic shoplifting
(2019-06-29, 11:50)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: It really feels like your having ago at the people who are using your media player for the only thing it was meant for.
XBMC never started or was designed for online movie streaming. Some add-on makers implemented cryptocurrency handling. Also not our doing.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: You also never covered the point of being able to stop third party addons.
That's simple, we are not the add-on police. We have created the basics for a home entertainment system. Like a simple car. If people want to put on a big turbo on it to make it go faster, it's not our job to keep that car off the road.

Your comparing Kodi to a car. That's your argument. It's legal to put a turbo in a car in any and every country on the planet. Not a suitable comparison at all.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: You know full well this is made for pirated material to be easily shared.
Read the history of XBMC. Piracy add-ons only came into play at a later moment.
As already mentioned, some 3rd party developers implemented crypto currency functionality. Is that also our fault?
Kodi is OPEN-SOURCE. It means ANYONE can fork our software, and do WHATEVER they want.

The sad part is, that Team Kodi get all the blame for whatever illegal is going on with it.

You get the blame because your media player enables pirated content to be shared more easily than it has ever been before. So much sleeker than ever before. You have made a media player that actually allows pirated material to replace paid TV subscriptions.

(2019-06-29, 11:06)whatwentwrong81 Wrote: And if your only defence to this argument is to purge my profile then do it.
Pointing your finger at each and everyone of us claiming -we all- download movies illegally is a blatant lie.

I said 90% not 100%, 90%. Why don't you push a survey to all kodi devices and find out. I bet I'm right not you.

And when you start talking about your penis on this forum, that moment of purge will be there sooner rather than later.

This is a fair point. Your only one.
(2019-06-29, 11:54)DarrenHill Wrote: What we do support is user choice and freedom.

We supply software which is basically a media player, but we do not provide media. That supply is down to the user, and what they choose to play on Kodi is entirely up to them. But equally as it's their choice, they are also responsible for any consequences that may arise from that choice. We do not support piracy in that we do not allow Kodi to be supplied with media (of any sort) nor do we help people who do choose the darker path to follow.

But we also don't tell people how to live their lives and how to use their computers/devices. This is exactly why we are so against both builds and those crappy "tutorials" on YouTube and the various parasite Kodi "fan" sites that are out there. They tend to obscure or completely remove that user choice, misrepresenting Kodi as being a risk-free path to getting stuff for free (in this case media, TV shows, movies etc) that you should be paying for. Indeed any amount of simple common sense or moments pause for thought should have alarm bells ringing in the heads of even the most naive consumer, but somehow in this world where responsibility is eclipsed by entitlement and plain greed that seems to have gone entirely out of the window.

Kodi is no more a gateway to anything than is Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer/Edge or any other browser of choice, or for that matter any torrent client or suchlike. But like them we will not cut off our legal and legitimate userbase from being able to use the software, nor will we tell them how they can and cannot use it. We are suppliers of free software, not their mothers nor the internet police.

You can't compare a Web browser to a media player. A Web browser has far more functionality than just playing media (I understand that everything on the Web from Web pages to videos is media but Web browsers are very much different)

Let's just use the videobcodecs as an example. Show me somewhere you can buy avengers endgame as a digital file to put on your media server. They were created to reproduce and share copyrighted material either direct from your TV through PVR front ends or buy cracking DMR proted video discs. Putting MP4 playback as part of the DVDplayer (your own media player developed by you) enables piracy. There is no mp4 file that is not a pirated file. Instead of saying "you wrong, your wrong, your wrong" show me a website that allows you to download legally (whether paid or free) mp4 files.

(Apart from the terrible videos we create ourselves with our phones)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UK crackdown and arrest over illegal add-ons :)0