• 5(current)
Release Philips Hue Service & Ambilight
(2019-08-12, 09:47)cw-kid Wrote:
(2019-08-11, 23:03)Snapcase Wrote: Hi

I did a quick hack in this version: https://github.com/zim514/script.service...v0.7.9dev1

If it can't find the gamut it just defaults to C. I didn't test this at all... If it works I'll make a cleaner fix and maybe put it as an advanced option or something

Great I will try it out tonight.

Thanks   

It works ! 

I can now add the 3rd party Dresden ballast / LED strip light in to the Ambilight group of lights in the add-on settings. And during movie playback my "TV Backlight" now does the Ambilight thing as well. 

Another question on the old mpolednik Hue add-on there is a Theater option. I have 4x "Hue" lights in my living room. 3 of them I have added to the Ambilight group these lights are positioned in front of where I sit and near the TV. 

I have another side lamp to the left of where I sit which I don't want in the Ambilight group as its not good seeing it change colours out of the corner of your eye. 

In the mpolednik Hue add-on I was able to set it up using his Theater option, so that when the movie playback starts the 4th lamp to the left of me just dims down to 30% and only the other 3x lights do the Ambilight thing. Also in the old add-on when I pause or stop the playback, that left lamp brightens back up to 100%

Also in the old add-on when I stop playback the 3x Ambilight turn off. 

I couldn't see a way to achieve the same thing in your new add-on. 

Thanks again for allowing me to add my Dresden light though. 

Cheers
Please can you explain in more detail what these Ambilight settings do ? 

With the default settings of the add-on the colour changes are too fast and sharp / jarring for my liking compared to the original add-on. 

I currently have the settings set at these values, which makes it more like the original add-on. 

1. Number of Colours = 1 (Default)

2. Update Interval = 500

3. Hue transition time (ms) = 500

4. Frame capture size = 150 (Default) 

5. Minimum colour difference = 200

I've also set the "Set brightness on start" to 60% as the lights were much brighten with the new add-on vs the old one.
(2019-08-12, 20:16)cw-kid Wrote: I couldn't see a way to achieve the same thing in your new add-on. 

I replaced the theatre and static light thing with the playback scenes so that they're fully customizable, but I'll admit it might be a bit trickier. Just adjust your lights in the Hue app and save as a scene in the addon to trigger on the action you want. For example, you can make a scene called "KodiPlay" that dims that left hand light, and "KodiStop" that  makes it bright again and turns off your three ambilights. If you turn them off and select them when you save the scene, the scene will turn them off too.

(2019-08-12, 20:42)cw-kid Wrote: Please can you explain in more detail what these Ambilight settings do ? 

I have some docs here: https://github.com/zim514/script.service...erformance

I've been experimenting with those settings and I'm not really sure what good defaults are. I think it's going to be different for everyone with different light setups and depending on what you watch.

In my case my lights are pointed at the wall behind my TV so I get more of an indirect glow and I think that makes it much less harsh than if you have lights that are directly in your range of vision. I keep the update and transition interval low, I've been watching a lot of action and sci-fi stuff, and the lights change and match pretty much exactly the editing. For example if there's something blinking (like a red alert on a star trek show), the low interval makes the lights blink at exactly the same time, and the effect is perfect. But if you slow it down, they are delayed compared to the action so the screen and lights blink at different rhythms and it looks like ass.

On the other hand, if I watch a drama or comedy, they tend to change too fast, especially on close ups. When the frame is mostly someone's face and they move their head, it can be enough for the colours to change every time they open their mouth... in that case it's more annoying than not. 

I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work in both cases. Down the line as I get more feedback maybe I'll add presets or something to make it easy to switch between settings.
And as for the brightness, my addon doesn't actually change the brightness of the ambilights during playback, only the colour. It will optionally change the brightness when it starts, but after that it doesn't touch it. That means that you can change the brightness of your lights in the Hue (or other apps) during playback and the add-on will continue to adjust the colour, whereas the old one would overwrite the brightness.
"I replaced the theatre and static light thing with the playback scenes so that they're fully customizable, but I'll admit it might be a bit trickier. Just adjust your lights in the Hue app and save as a scene in the addon to trigger on the action you want. For example, you can make a scene called "KodiPlay" that dims that left hand light, and "KodiStop" that makes it bright again and turns off your three ambilights. If you turn them off and select them when you save the scene, the scene will turn them off too."

That works perfectly better than I expected actually.

I have two table side lamps both with coloured Hue bulbs. Lamp 1 I've added in to the Ambilight group along with the" TV Backlight" and "Light Strip" behind the AV cabinet.

Lamp 2 which sits to the left of me I don't want in the Ambilight group, but want it to be a "Theater" light.

I created 3 new scenes.

KodiPlay - Just dims Lamp 2 down to 25%

KodiPause - Just brightens Lamp 2 to 100%

KodiStop - Brightens lamps 1 and 2 to 100% but importantly it sets them to a regular warm white colour. This scene also turns off the remaining two Ambilights.

Before when I stopped playback I was left with lamp 1 being on whatever colour is was, so could be red or blue or whatever colour.

Now when I stop playback lamp 1 returns to a regular warm white colour for service as a regular table lamp. So this is great!

So now very happy.

Many thanks.
Great! I tried to design it in a way that would make it flexible and do almost anything. The new multi-room scenes/zones Hue added a few months ago made it easier.

I actually have it set on pause to turn on a light strip in my bar area & kitchen for when I want a snack or drink Smile
(2019-08-13, 21:21)Snapcase Wrote: Great! I tried to design it in a way that would make it flexible and do almost anything. The new multi-room scenes/zones Hue added a few months ago made it easier.

I actually have it set on pause to turn on a light strip in my bar area & kitchen for when I want a snack or drink Smile

Think I need to create some new music scenes now just to dim down both table lamps to 25% on playback and brighten again on pause / stop.

As I mentioned sometimes I used the Wavforhue kodi music visualisation, with music and it changed the coloured lights to the beat of the music, but that stopped working since Leia. Was OK on Krypton.
Yeah wavforhue looks pretty cool and I looked at it a little bit. It's a binary add-on written in C++ as an audio visualization plugin as opposed to a python script. I don't have a clue how to fix it. It probably need to be recompiled for V18 for each platform.

With the python API it looks like I can only grab audio metadata, but not the audio itself. Not that I would have any clue how to turn audio into colours... It would be a good addition but it's beyond my skills.
(2019-08-13, 22:44)Snapcase Wrote: Yeah wavforhue looks pretty cool and I looked at it a little bit. It's a binary add-on written in C++ as an audio visualization plugin as opposed to a python script. I don't have a clue how to fix it. It probably need to be recompiled for V18 for each platform.

With the python API it looks like I can only grab audio metadata, but not the audio itself. Not that I would have any clue how to turn audio into colours... It would be a good addition but it's beyond my skills.

That's a shame to hear, we certainly need some one to fix it.

Well your skills with this new Hue Service addon are much appreciated.
I decided to leave the 3rd party support as is. I figure it's better to try and support everything even if some devices out there may not work exactly right. The fix is now in the main version v0.7.9 that's updated on the repo & github
I keep losing connection to the bridge. It works beautifully on the first run but as soon as I exit the addon all settings are lost and I have to manually connect the bridge again, set scenes, etc. Anyone else?
It's not the first time someone mentions problems with the settings disappearing but I'm not sure where that comes from... If you have logs and the settings.xml from addon_data/script.service.hue I can have a look
My Hue Service link just broke and stopped working no idea why.

Tried to discover the hue Bridge again in the addon and pressed the button again. Rebooted Kodi, Hue Service pop up notification appears saying connected but no AmbiLight or scenes working now.
@cw-kid I wonder if you and @"HomeTheatreGuru" are having the same problem. The changes I made to support unknown lights were minor and shouldn't affect the settings at all. Did it start happening after the update I pushed out to 0.7.9? Did anything else change in your set up? I've had issues with the settings not saving properly before and read reports about issues with the addon settings but I haven't had any problems lately. I did some testing on two machines and everything worked as expected. 

You can look at the settings.xml to see if its saving the settings or not, but to look into it more I'll need logs.
(2019-08-17, 17:43)Snapcase Wrote: @cw-kid I wonder if you and @"HomeTheatreGuru" are having the same problem. The changes I made to support unknown lights were minor and shouldn't affect the settings at all. Did it start happening after the update I pushed out to 0.7.9? Did anything else change in your set up? I've had issues with the settings not saving properly before and read reports about issues with the addon settings but I haven't had any problems lately. I did some testing on two machines and everything worked as expected. 

You can look at the settings.xml to see if its saving the settings or not, but to look into it more I'll need logs.

Mine started working again fine today no problems, but last night it just stopped working and I couldn't get it going again. Probably user error I was a little inebriated haha.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips Hue Service & Ambilight0