Radeon RX 580 intermittent black screens
Since upgrading to 4k I have been having intermittent black screens while watching any type of video.  I have a Radeon RX 580 card that will intermittently black out the screen and audio.  It does not seem related to any type of format or file type.  All my media is stored on Synology NAS.  I have found several posts on the AMD forums but none of them are resolving my problem.  They all recommend using Global settings, wattman and adjusting some numbers manually to stabilize the card.  None of the settings I have tried is making anything better.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem with these RX cards?  I don't think it's a Kodi specific issue, I have seen my screen black out a couple of times at the Windows desktop.
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
when this was happening to me last year after i upgraded to a samsung qled it turned out to be the hdmi cable
(2019-07-09, 01:38)the_other_guy Wrote: when this was happening to me last year after i upgraded to a samsung qled it turned out to be the hdmi cable

That was the first thing I was told to change out.  I bought certified premium cables and it did not resolve the problem.
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
it maybe a freesync setting  radeon settings
(2019-07-09, 01:57)the_other_guy Wrote: it maybe a freesync setting  radeon settings

Freesync is off, my TV does not support it.
Use a shorter cable.
(2019-07-11, 21:55)Luke M Wrote: Use a shorter cable.
4 foot premium certified cable.  How much shorter can I go!!
(2019-07-11, 23:31)gquiring Wrote:

Yeah that's supposed to work. Usually people with this problem are using 20+ foot cables.

I assume this only happens with 4K/60Hz, lower resolutions are fine? What's the display?
(2019-07-12, 01:18)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-07-11, 23:31)gquiring Wrote:

Yeah that's supposed to work. Usually people with this problem are using 20+ foot cables.

I assume this only happens with 4K/60Hz, lower resolutions are fine? What's the display? 
LG 65C9 OLED
So things got worse, I started getting green screens and would have to reboot the PC.  Then I could not play a single video without it going to a green screen within a few seconds.  I unplugged the PC from the system, moved it over to my computer room area and when I plugged the PC into a DVI monitor (granted it's not 4k) it could play anything.  So I bypassed the Pioneer LX503 receiver and the green screens were gone!  Got on the phone with Pioneer and of course they blamed the HDMI cable.  I said explain to me how it could work for the past 30 days and now the cable is no good.  I stood my ground and finally someone suggested I unplug the receiver and reboot it.  That resolved the green screen and now it got interesting.....

When I bypassed the receiver I had the modified Wattman settings in and I noticed I was not getting any black screens for the minimal testing I did.  So I watched a 4k James Bond movie last night with the HDMI cable going direct the TV and it used the eARC to return the audio.  Not one black screen.  Moved the cable back to the Pioneer and within seconds I got the usual black every so often watching the same movie.  

So it turns out with the Wattman settings you can get rid of the black screens but that whole time the Pioneer receiver was also introducing black screens into the mix.  This Pioneer LX503 won't work with a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060 and I guess you can say it sorta works passing a 4k Radeon. So the issue is the receiver is flaky at pass-through with 4k data.  Pioneer stood it's ground that my certified 4' cable is the issue.  So here's the best part, when I ran a cable from the PC direct to the TV I took some junk HDMI cable laying around, it worked flawlessly playing that Bond movie.  I have since watched a few other shows with that 'junk' cable and not one black screen.  I tried the junk cable to the receiver and black screens are back.

Now my issue with leaving the PC going directly to the TV is eARC.  I'm not sure what the receiver is doing.  DTS, DTS-HD, even stereo (2 ch) get reported as 'anything' on the receiver. I can get the receiver to show DTS with a video that is 2 ch stereo.  So I have no idea what the receiver is decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon RX 580 intermittent black screens0