KODI Audio Upscaling Feature
Guys all i'm saying is that the current 'Upscale' feature within Kodi.  Isn't very useful.  All it does is 'Mirror channels'.
I would like it to be more useful.  To have more 'Prologic' type of effects.   

My AVR is not doing the processing.  Its in MULTCH mode.  And the bickering about my hook-up and how you don't think that is the way to do it is not what the discussion should be about.

If your not interested OK.
I do not use passthrough (bitstreaming), all my audio is sent as LPCM, when a video with 2 channel audio is played I get LPCM 2.0 sent to my AVR then I can choose Dolby Pro-Logic, then when I play a video with DTS-HD 7.1 it gets decoded and sent to AVR as LPCM 7.1 and Multichannel mode is used, the switching on the AVR happens automatically between Pro-Logic and Multichannel modes depending on the channel layout it sees in the LPCM audio.

The Kodi stereo upmix function is specially designed to operate in a similar way to 'All-Channel-Stereo" on AVR's, it is not meant to create a multichannel mix from a 2.0 source where different sounds get sent to different speakers. If you want Kodi to produce something like producing a Pro-Logic style mix then make a request on the feature request forum, however as no one is currently active on the audio sections of code it's unlikely anything will be done at the present time, hence me explaining it can be done on the AVR.
(2019-08-29, 12:32)jjd-uk Wrote: I do not use passthrough (bitstreaming), all my audio is sent as LPCM, when a video with 2 channel audio is played I get LPCM 2.0 sent to my AVR then I can choose Dolby Pro-Logic, then when I play a video with DTS-HD 7.1 it gets decoded and sent to AVR as LPCM 7.1 and Multichannel mode is used, the switching on the AVR happens automatically between Pro-Logic and Multichannel modes depending on the channel layout it sees in the LPCM audio.

The Kodi stereo upmix function is specially designed to operate in a similar way to 'All-Channel-Stereo" on AVR's, it is not meant to create a multichannel mix from a 2.0 source where different sounds get sent to different speakers. If you want Kodi to produce something like producing a Pro-Logic style mix then make a request on the feature request forum, however as no one is currently active on the audio sections of code it's unlikely anything will be done at the present time, hence me explaining it can be done on the AVR.
Here you have changed your tune-- quite a bit. Thank you.   Yes I did say it was just like 'All-Channel-Stereo'.  But 'All-Channel-Stereo' is not very useful choice unless you just want to broadcast a mono-voice around the speakers or something.  You wouldn't play music or TV-Program in all-channel-stereo.  It just sounds weird.

What AVR do you have that still allows you to pick 'Pro-Logic' mode even though the system is connected at a higher CH rate?  My last two Onkyo AVRs do not allow that.  And I've read about this problem on many others.  Not that I'm going to switch at this time.  But I do hate my AVR for a few reasons.  But spending the money to replace it would upset my wife.  I don't even think 'Pro-Logic' is a mode anymore, even in 2-CH.  I think they call it something else now days.
(2019-08-29, 13:01)robertkjr3d Wrote: What AVR do you have that still allows you to pick 'Pro-Logic' mode even though the system is connected at a higher CH rate?  My last two Onkyo AVRs do not allow that.  And I've read about this problem on many others.  Not that I'm going to switch at this time.  But I do hate my AVR for a few reasons.  But spending the money to replace it would upset my wife.  I don't even think 'Pro-Logic' is a mode anymore, even in 2-CH.  I think they call it something else now days.

I have an Onkyo NR876 and the point I've been trying to make is that if I play a 2.0 source then the AVR gets a true LPCM 2.0 signal allowing me to engage Pro-Logic, I NEVER get a pseudo 5.1 so with only the L & R channels filled and the rest of the channels empty, then when I play a 5.1 source I get Multichannel on the AVR.

The Stereo Upmix was only meant to be a crude same audio to all channels function with music being seen as the primary use case, the more sophisticated use cases were going to be covered by the Audio DSP feature however as that's fallen by the wayside, perhaps a new feature would be considered. However it's very unlikely it would be considered any time soon as we've a lack of active developer resources at the moment and there's no one specifically covering the audio functions for now. Since this is unlikely change in the short term I was perhaps too forcibly trying to get across what you want is entirely possibly using the AVR, provided Kodi & the computer are set correctly.
(2019-08-29, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-08-29, 13:01)robertkjr3d Wrote: What AVR do you have that still allows you to pick 'Pro-Logic' mode even though the system is connected at a higher CH rate?  My last two Onkyo AVRs do not allow that.  And I've read about this problem on many others.  Not that I'm going to switch at this time.  But I do hate my AVR for a few reasons.  But spending the money to replace it would upset my wife.  I don't even think 'Pro-Logic' is a mode anymore, even in 2-CH.  I think they call it something else now days.

I have an Onkyo NR876 and the point I've been trying to make is that if I play a 2.0 source then the AVR gets a true LPCM 2.0 signal allowing me to engage Pro-Logic, I NEVER get a pseudo 5.1 so with only the L & R channels filled and the rest of the channels empty, then when I play a 5.1 source I get Multichannel on the AVR.

I believe you mean 'Onkyo-TX-SR876'  I can't find any evidence for an NR.  I have the NR686.  7.2.  But as I said I'm running two different audio sources through voicemeeter ... And one is analog.
It looks like someone else has just requested a similar feature, perhaps you may want to add your support see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=346747
(2019-08-29, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote:

Yes, that's how it normally works - unless Kodi's audio output setting has been changed from "optimized" (the default) to "fixed".

However, my FireTV 4K can't output 2-channel PCM no matter what. Just one of its quirks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI Audio Upscaling Feature0