• 1(current)
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version
Rainbow 
Maybe I am just misisng the annoucement and even not finding a feature request thread. But it seems not on the list so far. But it would be really great if we can have Dolby Vision Supported in next (major) release Smile

Don't punish me if I missed sth Big Grin
HDR10 and perhaps eventually HDR10+ are possible as these are open standards. However Dolby Vision is proprietary so the only Kodi way will be able to do that is if there's a hardware decoder available on the device Kodi runs on, this already possible on some Android boxes I believe.
Okay so HDR 10 and + would be nice, for sure. And for DV I am getting the point, missed that... :/

Currently I have the Nvidia Shield, so should be DV compatible and capabil.
(2019-07-13, 13:48)l4v4l4mp3 Wrote: Currently I have the Nvidia Shield, so should be DV compatible and capabil.

Only if Nvidia add it to the video decode capabilities of the Shield, however due to it's age probably not likely.
Yeah you got a point. So I need to hope for new revision of shiled later this year.

Besides that any recommendations for an alternative box?
(2019-07-13, 15:47)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 13:48)l4v4l4mp3 Wrote: Currently I have the Nvidia Shield, so should be DV compatible and capabil.

Only if Nvidia add it to the video decode capabilities of the Shield, however due to it's age probably not likely. 

The newly released 2019 Shield supports Dolby Vision (single-layer DV MP4). Plex on the Shield has just been updated and supports playing single-layer Dolby Vision MP4s. So Kodi should be able to do it now too on the Shield. Is it possible to add this feature now?
Question 
Hello Everyone!

So now with the new nVidia Shield 2019 (Pro), nVidia has finally added support for DolbyVision. Hurray!  Big Grin

Does this mean that Kodi can now support DV or, better said, it would be possible to add this support to Kodi?
What kind of files would it then support? 
4K/UHD-Bluray-ISOs? 
4K/UHD-Bluray Folders?
M2TS-Files?

Would it be able to support all DV Profiles?

So MKVs don't officially support DV, but you can save both video tracks within the MKV-File.
Would KODI then be able to combine both streams and produce a DV-Output stream? 

I am currently using an nVidia Shield 2017 and basically would upgrade to 2019 primarily for the DV support.
Hope you can answer this question at this point in time.
(2019-11-02, 09:23)Onbekend Wrote: Hello Everyone!

So now with the new nVidia Shield 2019 (Pro), nVidia has finally added support for DolbyVision. Hurray!  Big Grin

Does this mean that Kodi can now support DV or, better said, it would be possible to add this support to Kodi?
4K/UHD-Bluray-ISOs? 
4K/UHD-Bluray Folders?
M2TS-Files?

So MKVs don't officially support DV, but you can save both video tracks within the MKV-File.

I am currently using an nVidia Shield 2017 and basically would upgrade to 2019 primarily for the DV support.
I'm not a Kodi dev but I can shine some light for you. Shield only supports single-layer DV MP4 because the hardware decoder on it supports that format only. There is no hardware decoder on the Shield that supports dual-layer DV or any other DV profiles, whether in a MP4 or M2TS container. Given that BluRay Discs uses a dual-layer M2TS, don't count on that being supported either.

So you're probably going to see single-layer DV MP4 support really soon on Kodi since all they have to do is use the new hardware decoder for DV instead of the hardware decoder for HVEC. Quite easy to change in the software. 

As for combining a dual-layer DV into single-layer DV, this is a proprietary Dolby process that isn't publicly released. Which means no one really knows how to do it yet, at least not publicly. And even if someone reverse engineered the process, I doubt Kodi would add it in because it would require paying for a Dolby license or they would be in legal trouble. The only way right now to convert dual- to single-layer is to use DVDFab. I think DVDFab are using licensed proprietary Dolby programs to do the conversion which is why they can do it. I doubt they reverse engineered the process as that would be quite illegal for them to do and then sell it in their program.
I also would very much like this.
I wonder though, is there a correct way of asking for this feature and get an answer?
(2019-11-02, 23:21)peacey Wrote:
(2019-11-02, 09:23)Onbekend Wrote: Hello Everyone!

4K/UHD-Bluray-ISOs? 
4K/UHD-Bluray Folders?
M2TS-Files?

I'm not a Kodi dev but I can shine some light for you. Shield only supports single-layer DV MP4 because the hardware decoder on it supports that format only. There is no hardware decoder on the Shield that supports dual-layer DV or any other DV profiles, whether in a MP4 or M2TS container. Given that BluRay Discs uses a dual-layer M2TS, don't count on that being supported either.

So you're probably going to see single-layer DV MP4 support really soon on Kodi since all they have to do is use the new hardware decoder for DV instead of the hardware decoder for HVEC. Quite easy to change in the software. 

As for combining a dual-layer DV into single-layer DV, this is a proprietary Dolby process that isn't publicly released. Which means no one really knows how to do it yet, at least not publicly. And even if someone reverse engineered the process, I doubt Kodi would add it in because it would require paying for a Dolby license or they would be in legal trouble. The only way right now to convert dual- to single-layer is to use DVDFab. I think DVDFab are using licensed proprietary Dolby programs to do the conversion which is why they can do it. I doubt they reverse engineered the process as that would be quite illegal for them to do and then sell it in their program. 

Did you read/hear any more info about implementing single layer DV support?
interesting thread, following.....
Don't dream your life, live your dream
So there is no point getting Dolby vision mkv files to play through Kodi on the 2019 shield ?
(2019-11-11, 23:30)Higherbeing51 Wrote: So there is no point getting Dolby vision mkv files to play through Kodi on the 2019 shield ?

Can mkv even contain dolby vision? If they can its dual layer and wont work.
It is single layer mp4 dolby vision we want support for
Exclamation 
So I'll turn me on here. I have a new Shield 2019 Pro and I'm also a Plex Pass (Beta) Member. I'm a big fan of Kodi since XBMC times. Unfortunately, I'm currently very dissatisfied with the Plex Android TV app, as many soundtracks are not working properly or incorrectly via HDMI passthrough. Kodi with the Plex addon is currently the best solution for me, because everything works wonderfully. Now only the Dolby Vision Support is missing Big Grin As already mentioned, an MP4 in single layer format is needed.

First, here's a very important link on Dolby Vision Rips:
https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=15...&start=310

What you need and how to create a perfect DV single layer rip with and without HD sound:
- DVDFab (current)
- FFmpeg (current)
- mp4box (from GPAC SDK - gpac-0.9.0-DEV-latest-filters-x64.exe)
- MediaInfo (for control)

The simple variant:
You can create a single layer rip with DVDFab. Attention you have to set this first, because the standard dvdfab profile creates a dual layer MP4! Disables Web optimization. At the soundtrack you can click on "copy". In that case, you will receive an AC3 from a TrueHD and a DTS from a DTS-HD soundtrack (I'll be right on the subject of hd sound). The subtitles are extracted and saved separately. Here you choose SRT subtitles! This is the easy way that is currently possible. However, without HD sound and without chapters. This does not make DVD Fab currently. I hope it will follow.

The ultimate variant:
Step 1 - Extracts the HD sound from the ISO or from the disk with FFmpeg.
### How to find the correct stream id ###
ffprobe -i bluray:\path\to\bluray
Now find the right track and notice the AUDIO_STREAM_ID like 0:2

### DTS HD Commad ###
ffmpeg.exe -i bluray:\path\to\bluray -map 0:AUDIO_STREAM_ID -c copy %userprofile%\Desktop\dtshd.mp4

### TrueHD (Atmos) Commad ### #EXPERIMENTAL# - You get a soundtrack in the format: mlpa
ffmpeg.exe -i bluray:\path\to\bluray -map 0:AUDIO_STREAM_ID -c:a copy -strict -2 %userprofile%\Desktop\atmos.mp4

Now you have your HD soundtrack in a MP4: atmos.mp4 or dtshd.mp4

Step 2 - Creates a chapter TXT file and call it "chapters.txt"
I always find the times of the chapters with MediaInfo. If you have the times and if necessary the names of the chapters, write the following points in the TXT:
Example:
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter1
CHAPTER02=00:10:15.698
CHAPTER02NAME=Chapter2
CHAPTER03=00:22:39.399
CHAPTER03NAME=Chapter3
CHAPTER04=00:35:53.276
CHAPTER04NAME=Chapter4
CHAPTER05=00:43:55.007
CHAPTER05NAME=Chapter5
CHAPTER06=00:55:19.357
CHAPTER06NAME=Chapter6
CHAPTER07=01:03:10.161
CHAPTER07NAME=Chapter7
CHAPTER08=01:14:12.364
CHAPTER08NAME=Chapter8
CHAPTER09=01:26:01.698
CHAPTER09NAME=Chapter9
CHAPTER10=01:37:16.080
CHAPTER10NAME=Chapter10
CHAPTER11=01:48:24.456
CHAPTER11NAME=Chapter11

Now you have a chapter file

Step 3 - Created with DVDFab a single layer rip (including external subtitles) as already described in the simple variant. For example, call it "dvdfab_out.mp4".

Step 4 - Now create the ultimate Dolby Vision Rip for the Shield 2019 with the mp4box:

mp4box.exe -add %userprofile%\Desktop\dvdfab_out.mp4 -add %userprofile%\Desktop\atmos.mp4:lang=eng -add %userprofile%\Desktop\chapters.txt:chap -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4box_out.mp4
(Varying commands depending on the language = atmos.mp4:lang=Language_Code like eng or ger)

Now you have a 4K single layer Dolby Vision MP4 with AC3 and TrueHD (mlpa) including chapters and external subtitles. Cool

If you want, you can also muxe the subtitles. But for me that has no added value compared to external subtitles. Name the subtitles exactly like your video (and if necessary additions) so they will be recognized.

Example in my case:
Hellboy 2019.mp4
Hellboy 2019 .ger.srt
Hellboy 2019 .ger.forced.srt

I hope I did not forget anything - if questions are just ask.... Wink
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version2