Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version
I really would like to know what's the current status in more details for kodi.
Given that the hardware supports DV, what are the missing pieces for kodi to be capable of supporting it?
I'm a developer and I have been involved in many other open source projects for almost 2 decades, but never got a chance to look at kodi sources.
Since I'm very interested in such feature, I've been reading a lot about it, but I only have assumptions that might very much be wrong or not accurate.
My current understanding is:
Given the new Matroska spec that supports DV (single track dual layer), kodi needs to understand this track type and allow it to be passed to the underlying implementation (HW decoder).
Kodi demux uses ffmpeg (my assumption), so ffmpeg is the one that needs to understand the new spec enhancement before anything can be done on the kodi side.
Do I have a correct understanding?
I do not want to underestimate the amount of work and complexity, but is it a lot to be done? Is something that someone not yet familiar with kodi source could handle or is it something that you need to be familiar with kodi architecture and more internal details?

And thanks again for you guys that invest so much time in a great software

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version - by ratoaq2 - 2020-10-25, 11:17
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version2