Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version
(2020-11-24, 16:41)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-11-16, 22:53)quietvoid Wrote: FFmpeg definitely is used server side with Plex, as they have mentioned the switch from MediaInfo to only ffmpeg for Plex Media Server.
So I'm assuming they have made changes in their own build for parsing Dolby Vision parameters with the new Matroska spec.
Client side, the info seems to be sent directly to the app and that is passed directly to ExoPlayer to initialize the dvhe decoder.

I also haven't seen any commit regarding the new spec into ffmpeg. Plex does make their ffmpeg source available: https://downloads.plex.tv/ffmpeg-source
Maybe I'll look into that.
I did some testing on my Shield 2019 Pro with Plex and can confirm that MKVs with DV work. My Plex Server runs on Windows Server 2019 though (I'm not using the Plex server component on the Shield).

I believe the client side of Plex uses ExoPlayer to play these files (that is what is shown when you call up the Playback Info screen).

I'm guessing that the changes in ffmpeg are indeed only on the Plex server side to analyze the media.

So to play DV MKVs, Kodi would have to implement support for the new MKV specification, similar as to what ExoPlayer is doing.

Are you using the Nvidia Shield Plex app or the Kodi Plex connect to get Dolby vision to work?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version - by bkrieger - 2021-01-10, 07:11
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version2