• 3(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-08-07, 14:42)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 12:40)allanp81 Wrote: If it's included in the DX12 API does that mean that it would potentially work with AMD cards as well?

I'm not sure to be honest.
Does HDR work with AMD in games or in any other way?  
Yes, it does - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03...c-games-2/
(2019-08-08, 04:22)rexian Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 14:42)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 12:40)allanp81 Wrote: If it's included in the DX12 API does that mean that it would potentially work with AMD cards as well?

I'm not sure to be honest.
Does HDR work with AMD in games or in any other way?  
Yes, it does - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03...c-games-2/

So AMD sorted out the HDR situation on windows 10 the same way as Nvidia did: by themselves.
It's almost the same way for Nvidia and AMD, private APIs that require proper implementation.

This project gathered some attention and while I have a limited knowledge people are helping me to learn and push this further.

The switch is done, the TV will be set in HDR mode.
The HDR only content trigger works.
It will turn off hdr when playback of hdr content stops.

But the thing is, kodi uses some ffmpeg and lav code to gather the metadata frame by frame and this needs to be forwarded to the NVapi.
The code that gets this metadata exists, it needs to:
1. Be transformed into a way NVapi understands it.
2. Be passed to NVapi.
3. Be updated frame by frame.

This project is moving with some help.
New test build. This update aims to finally pass hdr metadata to the display. 

If someone can test it and give some feedback if hdr is triggered and if colors are correct.
https://mega.nz/#!OFt0TChZ!_IaMCK72P73Ki...Unkb7siLpg

also code is updated with the latest changes in:
https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc-nvapi-hdr

received some feedback, it seems the brightness and colors are correct but only with render method as pixel shaders. 
Also the screen is blinking all the time but colors seem correct.
I'm still away from my 4K HDR screen but I have a wife with a huge patience with me that tested several builds.

As far as I can say HDR10 pass through on Windows 10 using Nvidia GPUs is a reality! Smile

This is version 1.0b
Changelog:

Finally passes HDR metadata to the display
Will NOT turn HDR on for non-HDR content.
Kill HDR when stop button is pressed.

Grab it here:
https://mega.nz/#!SNEhRaoK!UQnCBbBs1dPtr...0NaL4ebz7s

Source code here:
https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc-nvapi-hdr

As far as I know this is the world's first implementation of HDR10 in a video player using Nvidia API on Windows 10 that is open source. 

I'm very curious to know if UHD Blu-Ray menus that have HDR menus render correctly. 
Please, let me know if everything is working as it should.
Congrats fandangos, great job.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Received the first feedback, I'm already aware of the black level issue. 
I'll look into it.
From an AMD point of view, something similar appears to be possible so wouldn't be too difficult to implement a check to see which GPU is installed in a machine?
removed
(2019-08-12, 16:26)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 15:25)allanp81 Wrote: From an AMD point of view, something similar appears to be possible so wouldn't be too difficult to implement a check to see which GPU is installed in a machine?

The code that makes hdr possible I got from Nvidia. You can look at my git and see uhddisplay.h and uhddisplay.cpp are made by Nvidia.

I know a similar approach to hdr exists by amd.
if you can find the proper files and after I get hdr 100% correct for Nvidia cards I can look into AMD but I don't have any AMD GPU and would need someone to keep testing the builds. 
Thanks for the great work! Sorry if this is off-topic, but is it at least theoretically possible to extend these methods to frame-packed 3D on current or older Nvidia drivers?
Version 1.0c

Changelog:
Brightness levels are fixed. 
Thanks to Madshi I'm using the same calculation for chroma and light metadata as he uses in Madvr. 

This version have every 10 bit option set to default, this means you will need advancedsettings.xml in your %AppData\Kodi\userdata folder with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advancedsettings>    
    <try10bitoutput>true</try10bitoutput>    
</advancedsettings>

But here is the file ready for you:
https://mega.nz/#!TZ1BXQpR!W7tLSLP1eUpXG...4swcuAj664

Version 1.0c here:
https://mega.nz/#!LAFUlKSI!R63NnRK_SFwuq...xJFGiqmKik

Please, test it and leave a feedback if you can.

What still needs to be fixed:
DXVA doesn't work. Use Render Method: Pixel Shader
This is getting better and better.
HDR at display level is switching on/off properly.  I get no constant blinking?  Only at beginning/quit of playback when display switches modes as it should.  SDR is not engaging and all is well.

The picture is red saturated.  A little over saturated in general as well.  I'm not going to calibrate anything to accommodate it but I did try a few different combinations of settings.  I tried software rendering instead of pixel shaders.  This is a no go and doesn't work at all.  Also tried DXVA even though it isn't supported yet.  This is even more red saturated.  Turned off Reinhard.  This helps with oversaturation but it still isn't correct.  Toggled through Scaling methods which had no effect.  Tried windowed vs fullscreen which also didn't matter.

Happily, I see Windows HDR switch is no longer engaging when in HDR mode.  I assume this means the task is being handled by nVidia exclusively now.  Kodi OSD shows no indications of either afaict.

Menus are not supported.  Plays main movie only.  This could be due to my setup though.  I don't use JAVA or any of the other required components needed to render menus in Kodi v.19 and I've never tried.

All in all, this is advancing nicely and I thank you for your efforts.  As it stands, it is very much usable for nVidia GPU's.  Eventually I hope dev(s) will consider adding your method to mainstream official Windows Kodi v.19.  Imo, there is no reason not to.  Should it not work proper for AMD or Intel in the future, no harm done.  As for not being universal across all platforms, afaik, Kodi Android supports HDR.  It should be ok for Kodi Windows too.  Good luck on your fine tuning and please stay the course.  This will become popular.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I tried it and I know. See everything very dark, I use a nvidia 1050. Because it can be? Thank you
(2019-08-13, 18:20)tonigb Wrote: I tried it and I know. See everything very dark, I use a nvidia 1050. Because it can be? Thank you
Change render auto to pixel shaders, don't work with dxva or software yet.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2019-08-13, 17:16)brazen1 Wrote: This is getting better and better.
HDR at display level is switching on/off properly.  I get no constant blinking?  Only at beginning/quit of playback when display switches modes as it should.  SDR is not engaging and all is well.

The picture is red saturated.  A little over saturated in general as well.  I'm not going to calibrate anything to accommodate it but I did try a few different combinations of settings.  I tried software rendering instead of pixel shaders.  This is a no go and doesn't work at all.  Also tried DXVA even though it isn't supported yet.  This is even more red saturated.  Turned off Reinhard.  This helps with oversaturation but it still isn't correct.  Toggled through Scaling methods which had no effect.  Tried windowed vs fullscreen which also didn't matter.

Happily, I see Windows HDR switch is no longer engaging when in HDR mode.  I assume this means the task is being handled by nVidia exclusively now.  Kodi OSD shows no indications of either afaict.

Menus are not supported.  Plays main movie only.  This could be due to my setup though.  I don't use JAVA or any of the other required components needed to render menus in Kodi v.19 and I've never tried.

All in all, this is advancing nicely and I thank you for your efforts.  As it stands, it is very much usable for nVidia GPU's.  Eventually I hope dev(s) will consider adding your method to mainstream official Windows Kodi v.19.  Imo, there is no reason not to.  Should it not work proper for AMD or Intel in the future, no harm done.  As for not being universal across all platforms, afaik, Kodi Android supports HDR.  It should be ok for Kodi Windows too.  Good luck on your fine tuning and please stay the course.  This will become popular.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to fix it for DXVA but Anton said something about DXVA not working properly with 10bit output.

Can you tell me if you noticed any difference comparing try10bitoutput on and off?

The next builds I'll need someone to compare it to DSplayer (Madvr) so we can match color accuracy and this will be trial and error.
<advancedsettings>    
    <try10bitoutput>true</try10bitoutput>    
</advancedsettings>

has no affect on anything afaict.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9