Can someone recommend me a box
Hi,

My Panasonic TX-49EX600B does not output DTS 5.1 via the optical output, only ac3. My surround setup unfortunately does not take HDMI so I need an android box which outputs this when playing content. I have a plex server so am hoping to use Kodi with Plex to achieve this. Does anyone recommend any boxes that can do this? I almost picked up an Nvidia shield but it doesn't have an optical so wouldn't suffice for this situation.

If the box could also support widevine level 1 so I don't have to switch back to the Tv for 4K netflix that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks
(2019-07-21, 20:48)Steve498 Wrote: I almost picked up an Nvidia shield but it doesn't have an optical so wouldn't suffice for this situation.

If the box could also support widevine level 1 so I don't have to switch back to the Tv for 4K netflix that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks

See THIS Shield thread (click) for optical support.

However you will not get 5.1 audio from DD+ capable, copy protected video streaming Apps like Netflix or Prime video because the Shield has No Dolby Audio licence to do the required DD+> DD audio downmixing.
You would have to experiment with the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon for Kodi 5.1 DD+ > 5.1 DD transcoding audio output. 5.1 DD audio can then be carried over optical.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767

Even the Xiaomi Mi Box that has a combined 3.5mm headphone/optical port cannot give you 5.1 Netflix App audio, because of a messed up Dolby Audio licence implementation. 2.0 only.

Not sure abut 5.1 audio over optical when using Kodi on the Mi Boxes.
There is no Mi Box Android settings to hard select SPDIF/optical audio output.

Your best bet for optical sound output would be a USB sound card OR an HDMI audio extractor. Both are fairly inexpensive -- $10-$20.

There is no board/box that I would recommend that will enable Widevine L1, since it is contradictory to the features that give you real freedom and control over your device: full hardware documentation and the ability to build your operating system from source.

The unit I would recommend right now is the Rock960 (rk3399 SoC): https://www.96boards.org/product/rock960/
Put it in the optional aluminum heat sink case: https://store.vamrs.com/products/metal-case-for-rock960 and it becomes an extremely robust and high performance TV box.

You can build AOSP-TV from source by following the manufacturer's instructions;
https://github.com/96rocks/manifests/tre...60-box-9.0
(or use their binary releases)
*** They maintain the repositories very frequently and push out new binary images about 1/mo.

Boots from sdcard OR eMMC -- makes it very easy to test new builds, or temporarily boot other operating systems (debian/ubuntu).

Supported by libreelec:
https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/rockchip/

Upstream kernel support is in progress. Currently will boot on mainline Linux kernel, with just a few missing features.
Supported by open source PANFROST driver for Mali GPU.

4K without breaking a sweat. Just last night for the heck of it (I don't even have a 4K TV), I tested out a 40 GB/2 hour video... 10bit 4k HEVC. Total CPU load across all cores was at a combined 90% (of 600%, its a 6-core) with the cpu frequency at the low-mid of the range. When I switched the governor to performance, the load dropped to 40-45%, again, of 600%, so really, ~7%.

Really nice board.

I know a lot of people around here will swear against anything rockchip... I used to be one of them. But going the well-supported-SBC route really does change EVERYTHING.

As far as 4K netflix goes, have you considered just adding a chromecast ultra? With CEC, the inputs switch automatically, so ends up being pretty seamless.
Be aware when you use the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon, you end up finding you will usually get reliable 1080p streaming from only Netflix original content.

A lot of other content especially movies will stream from the Netflix servers at a Max. 960x540p resolution.

Using the actual Netflix App on legit, Netflix approved devices really is the only way to get the full Monty 1080p/4K Netflix experience.

(2019-07-22, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Be aware when you use the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon, you end up finding you will usually get reliable 1080p streaming from only Netflix original content.

A lot of other content especially movies will stream from the Netflix servers at a Max. 960x540p resolution.

Using the actual Netflix App on legit, Netflix approved devices really is the only way to get the full Monty 1080p/4K Netflix experience.

Ok thanks I'll ignore Netflix and just use it on my Panasonic. It's built in and the content is 4K.

So aside from this, I really need to get one of those rock chip boards with a hdmi to optical converter?

Thanks
(2019-07-22, 18:05)Steve498 Wrote:
(2019-07-22, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Be aware when you use the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon, you end up finding you will usually get reliable 1080p streaming from only Netflix original content.

Ok thanks I'll ignore Netflix and just use it on my Panasonic. It's built in and the content is 4K.

So aside from this, I really need to get one of those rock chip boards with a hdmi to optical converter?

Thanks

No need for optical convertors for a basic 4K Kodi box...

Just get a pretty snappy S905X2 device with Optical/SPDIF built in like a Tanix TX5 Max (click) and then run CoreELEC Kodi Leia on it (click) from either a USB3 stick or Class 10 U1 microSDHC.

(2019-07-22, 18:30)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-07-22, 18:05)Steve498 Wrote:

Thanks

No need for optical convertors for a basic 4K Kodi box...

Just get a pretty snappy S905X2 device with Optical/SPDIF built in like a Tanix TX5 Max (click) and then run CoreELEC Kodi Leia on it (click) from either a USB3 stick or Class 10 U1 microSDHC.

Perfect thanks I'll get one ordered, thank you so much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone recommend me a box0