Solution for new HTPC motherboards without S/PDIF
Lightbulb 
Hey all,

Just a side note. I was planning on picking up a new board today and I have been looking for a week or two, most boards, asus, abit, gbyte etc have all the video functions (outputs) but now they are lacking with only analog outputs and no spdif without the adaptor card. I found one in CA. on ebay but they wanted 10$ for the brd and 15$ to ship it. Blahhh!!!

So I made one. Luckily all the decoding and signals are done on the board and all that is required is a couple basic filters to the optical or coaxial output on the board. I made one with perf board and a TXTX176 optical transmitter and an rca out. I tested it last night and compared it live to the one on an existing board and I can hear no difference at all.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will draw up the circuit and post it for ya's.

rgds,

Dave
Sorry,

That should have read Toshiba TOTX176 optical transmitter.

Dave
Here is a pic of the circuit board.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Here is a pic of the circuit board.

Dave

The link is this.

http://www.scottcraftboats.com/spdif.htm

Dave
You can usually buy the addon for ASUS, AOpen, GigaByte, and MSI motherboards and use with any brand of motherboard.

Google ASUS SPDIF OUT/COA+OPT for example.

Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yeah, I picked one up for one of my boards for $20 last week... Not worth the work when the add-on is that cheap IMO.
They are pretty hard to get up here in Canada and for the 3.00 in parts and 6$ for the rcvr and 30 Minutes worth of soldering I feel it was worth the time.

rgds,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:They are pretty hard to get up here in Canada and for the 3.00 in parts and 6$ for the rcvr and 30 Minutes worth of soldering I feel it was worth the time.

rgds,

Dave

You can pick them up here in Calgary, AB:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PI...1(ME).aspx
Are you sure one of the analog outputs doesn't double as a digital output? Some motherboards work that way:

You just plug in a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and you have a digital coaxial spdif.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solution for new HTPC motherboards without S/PDIF0