v19 Kodi v19 Internal Web Browser
(2021-01-18, 20:47)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't recall anyone ever saying that this was being slated for v19, anyway it hasn't happened. As the web browser was going to take the form of an binary addon it's has highlighted some deficiencies in the addon system to get things working smoothly enough to be considered for inclusion, therefore the developer concerned has spent the majority of his free time attempting to resolve the deficiencies and then adapting the existing binary addons to the new API's. I'm not sure how complete that work of reworking the addon system for binary addons is, but I've seen some sign that the dev has started to work on the web browser addon again.

As with any potential new feature, it'll be done when it done.

Understood (I think), however, if one wants to browse the web on Kodi, in the meantime, they can't? Asking.
(2021-01-20, 16:36)debennett2 Wrote:
(2021-01-18, 20:47)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't recall anyone ever saying that this was being slated for v19, anyway it hasn't happened. As the web browser was going to take the form of an binary addon it's has highlighted some deficiencies in the addon system to get things working smoothly enough to be considered for inclusion, therefore the developer concerned has spent the majority of his free time attempting to resolve the deficiencies and then adapting the existing binary addons to the new API's. I'm not sure how complete that work of reworking the addon system for binary addons is, but I've seen some sign that the dev has started to work on the web browser addon again.

Understood (I think), however, if one wants to browse the web on Kodi, in the meantime, they can't? Asking.

The simply version is the existing addon handling isn't good enough to provide for a smooth user experience, and having the UI remote friendly isn't fully done. So before the web browser addon can't be completed the addon system needs to be improved and that's what he has been working on.

As for use case, It's not so much for general web browsing, although it can be used for that, but the main aim is to be able to access media streaming services where it may not be possible to create an traditional addon, so the web browser addon will present itself to the site the same as any other browser, for example I believe the dev has been using the Netflix web site and streaming from there to test his work.
(2021-01-20, 16:45)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-01-20, 16:36)debennett2 Wrote:

The simply version is the existing addon handling isn't good enough to provide for a smooth user experience, and having the UI remote friendly isn't fully done. So before the web browser addon can't be completed the addon system needs to be improved and that's what he has been working on.

As for use case, It's not so much for general web browsing, although it can be used for that, but the main aim is to be able to access media streaming services where it may not be possible to create an traditional addon, so the web browser addon will present itself to the site the same as any other browser, for example I believe the dev has been using the Netflix web site and streaming from there to test his work.

Do you know if the developer has been playing around with the youtube.com/tv# interface at all? Between Netflix, Youtube, and Youtube TV, I have to toggle between launching them in a browser and Kodi. Can't wait till that's not necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v19 Internal Web Browser0