v18 Can Addons be installed/managed remotely?
Ahoyhoy,

I have a mysql setup with Kodi running on a number of frontends in my internal network (Android tablet, Mac laptop, 2x Raspberry Pi's, a Vero4k, a Windows desktop, Linux desktop). 

Is there a way that addons can be installed/configured remotely? For example: I got an API key for the openweathermap extension, and I can copy that key to all of my Linux-based frontends via scp to the .xml file managed by the addon in userdata/addon_data/weather.openweathermap.extended/settings.xml. I can make one computer the default and write a script to distribute this file to all the other frontends (well, not the tablet), and/or use Puppet or Ansible or something else to keep everything in sync.

BUT is there a way to remotely trigger the installation of the OpenWeatherMapExtended addon itself on the frontends?
(btw, if you don't think it's that big of a deal to go to my frontends individually and install the OpenWeatherMapExtended extension you're not wrong. At all. But I have a habit of breaking my systems and rebuilding them from images, and I also have a habit of playing on one machine in particular as a dev box, and the other frontends as "production" boxes, and it'd be nice to be able to sandbox on the one, and when I'm happy, then push the config to the others remotely, and when doing multiple addons with multiple machines it DOES get tedious).
No there isn't, and it's not a feature that I doubt would get much traction with the team to be created.

Whilst I can see your legitimate usage case here, imagine what some of the 3rd party add-on creators who flood our community with banned addons (wiki) might do with such a feature...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@wamarler
breaking my systems and rebuilding them from images, and I also have a habit of playing on one machine in particular as a dev box,

backup Kodi\addons and Kodi\userdata\addon_data can be copied  to other installs then it can be enabled on that machine
Or you could make a dummy addon with all the other addons you want to install as dependencies.  Then you just have to install the one dummy addon on each frontend and it'll automatically install all the others.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
@DarrenHill yea what you say makes perfect sense. 

@the_other_guy this could be good enough. I don't know much about the underlying mechanics of addons. Thanks.

@black_eagle Hmmmm. I like this idea despite not seeing myself making any effort to learn how to write a Kodi addon any time soon. Something to stash in the back of my brain ... thanks.
you may want to try https://galaxy.ansible.com/jose1711/kodi_ansible_role with ansible as this has a script that handles download and extraction of addons from repositories

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Addons be installed/managed remotely?0