Crash after library scan
For some reason, this morning Kodi started to crash whenever I perform a library update. Kodi is running on an nVidia Shield and is running 18.3.

Normally, I have "scan on startup" enabled, but I have now disabled it since it crashes Kodi every time it runs. With it disabled, I have tried manually updating both my tv shows and my movies folder, and in both cases, Kodi crashes. It takes a while to run, filling out the progress bar once, then starts over, and when it fills the last time, the app just crashes.

I have created a debug log, but I cannot see in it what is causing the crash: https://paste.kodi.tv/sufekohazu.kodi

Many thanks to whoever can work out what is going on.
Additional info:

I have checked to see if there was any updates to addons or similar, there wasn't. 

I have also rebooted the shield - no chance there either.
(2019-08-02, 15:55)ZanZan Wrote: Additional info:

I have checked to see if there was any updates to addons or similar, there wasn't. 

I have also rebooted the shield - no chance there either.

Same here, Shield upgraded itself to Experience 8.0. Since that Kodi 18.3 won't start.
When renaming/deleting userdata folder Kodi starts up.
So I think we might have to wait for a Kodi update or do a fresh setup after deleting userdata folder.
Not happy Sad
It may have something to do with the TVDB addon. My Kodi 18.3/Windows10 just started closing after launching this morning. Same as my Shield!

Now both of my Kodi 18.3 installs are broken!!
Same here, updated to version 8 Experience, now crashes every time when doing clean cache/thumbnails etc? Why wasn't this checked, surely Nvidia must have tried the upgrade with Kodi 18.3?
I might have the same issue. After installing https://kodi.wiki/view/Anime advancedsettings.xml a new file was found, and Kodi crashes without any error message after a response from thetvdb was received. See debug log here: https://pastebin.com/K3PbYTsf
The TVDB website has upgraded its API, and apparently it's not very much backwards compatible.
Apart from that, any scraper should not let Kodi crash in one way or another.

We're looking into it.
(2019-08-02, 16:20)euphonium01 Wrote: Same here, updated to version 8 Experience, now crashes every time when doing clean cache/thumbnails etc? Why wasn't this checked, surely Nvidia must have tried the upgrade with Kodi 18.3?

The theTVDB.com people have made changes to their site (which is the database that the scraper uses for its metadata) and that's what's screwing everything up.

Our default scraper for Tv shows is now theMovieDB.com (and has been for almost a year) as we're getting less and less enamoured with tvdb and their service, but people still using tvdb are now getting hit by this.

We are aware of it, but unfortunately updating the scraper is a major job (especially as we're not sure they're done messing around with the API it relies on).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-08-02, 16:20)euphonium01 Wrote: Same here, updated to version 8 Experience, now crashes every time when doing clean cache/thumbnails etc? Why wasn't this checked, surely Nvidia must have tried the upgrade with Kodi 18.3?

As I said in the Kodi/Windows forum, this is the TVDB addon. BOTH my Windows install AND Android Shield install were affected this morning. It has nothing to do with the Shield 8.0 update (terrible timing, I better head over to the Nvidia forum and let everyone know).
I deleted the TVDB addon from Windows and now I can launch Kodi.
I don't remember how to do the same on my Shield... senior moment..
(2019-08-02, 16:29)DarrenHill Wrote: Our default scraper for Tv shows is now theMovieDB.com (and has been for almost a year) as we're getting less and less enamoured with tvdb and their service, but people still using tvdb are now getting hit by this.

Thanks for this information.
So if we deactivate the scraper all should be fine?
Can this be done manually in some setting file?
It can be done, but switching scrapers will mean you need to refresh (rescrape) the TV show library, and it will of course impact people who are using NFO (wiki) files which point at tvdb.

If you go into the context menu for your TV show sources, you can select the scraper used there. If it's not already installed, you'll need to install the moviedb scraper from the offical repo first.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-08-02, 16:37)DarrenHill Wrote: It can be done, but switching scrapers will mean you need to refresh (rescrape) the TV show library, and it will of course impact people who are using NFO (wiki) files which point at tvdb.

If you go into the context menu for your TV show sources, you can select the scraper used there. If it's not already installed, you'll need to install the moviedb scraper from the offical repo first.

I meant without using the UI, since it's crashing on startup Wink
So is there a workaround available or a way to disable the scraper (renaming the folder in addons is not working for me)?
Disabling the scraper by moving the folder out of addons (effectively uninstalling it) would be the only possible route I could think of offhand. If you've tried that and it doesn't work then I've no better idea at the moment.

I'm at work at the moment so don't have time or a Kodi install to hand that I can experiment with unfortunately.

Kodi Blog Posts
Looking in my logs, I'm not sure, if it's not a combination of the tvdb issue and the shield upgrade?
At least I see some strange errors (but no idea if the're related).

If it helps, here's the log: https://pastebin.com/SPhd6jzN
The scraper folder move has been reported to work by at least one user (on Windows) so it could be.

Unfortunately I can't look at the log until I get home, as work blocks pastebin.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash after library scan1