Nvidia shield vs Minix Neo u9-h
Hi guys i am fairly new to this, but after reading the start  here thread and reading up on some posts I have come to the conclusion that Nvidia shield or Minix Neo u9-h are the best bets for an android tv box.

I still can't figure out which one, the Minix with the a2 control costs about the same as the nvidia shield without game controller. I don't play much games I just want to stream into my TV, play some movies I have and maybe download some movies to watch.

I am thinking tablet android OS has more flexibility than Android TV but i really don't know. What would you guys recommend? I was also looking at A95X MAX because of the expandable hard drive, but don't see it mentioned here that much.

So can anybody please help with the decision?

thanks in advance guys
Hi Welcome,

If you want to stream 1080p or 4K copy protected video from Netflix, Amazon Prime etc you need to buy a Google Certified, Netflix approved Android TV device like a Nvidia Shield or Xiaomi Mi Box. The Apps on those devices are much easier to use on a TV, with a simple DPad remote control.

The Shield gets the best Firmware support out of all the Android devices, it’s up to ATV Pie v9.0.
MINIX U9 Firmware support stopped at v6.x Marshmallow.

Shield also the fastest Android media player on the market. Android Tablet Apps can be Sideloaded into it and you then use the two wireless remotes I mention below to control them.

The MINIX U9 is currently overpriced IMHO, but it does come packaged with my favourite remote the MINIX A2 lite - if you get the right one.

If all you need to do is run Kodi and stream from home storage, the optimised Linux Kodi OS’s like CoreELEC Kodi works nicely indeed on AMLogic hardware. The MINIX U9 can run that easily from a microSDHC card:

https://discourse.coreelec.org

CoreELEC has also added S905X2 chipset support recently as well, just get a seperate MINIX A2 lite remote for that OR guys are now recommending the WeChip g20 (click) as well.

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/amlogic-s905x2/1818

AMLogic chipset devices can usually duel boot Android / CoreELEC easily. The U9 definitely can, not sure about the new S905X2 ones yet.

W.

Thanks Wrxtasy! I was hoping to also be able to use netflix and amazon prime but I guess I can do that directly on the TV, but maybe also be able to do some torrenting and maybe stream from other sources. 

Now that you mention Mi Box, would you prefer it over U9?

if it were you looking to stream both content online and from storage and being able to download directly to the box, what would you get? I also worry investing in NS and since it is a 2018 model that they come up with one in a few months and maybe I should wait. But I guess that is always a thing with gadgets.

Thanks again!
(2019-08-03, 00:25)jimenez_e Wrote: Hi guys i am fairly new to this, but after reading the start  here thread and reading up on some posts I have come to the conclusion that Nvidia shield or Minix Neo u9-h are the best bets for an android tv box.

I still can't figure out which one, the Minix with the a2 control costs about the same as the nvidia shield without game controller. I don't play much games I just want to stream into my TV, play some movies I have and maybe download some movies to watch.

I am thinking tablet android OS has more flexibility than Android TV but i really don't know. What would you guys recommend? I was also looking at A95X MAX because of the expandable hard drive, but don't see it mentioned here that much.

So can anybody please help with the decision?

thanks in advance guys

I was in the same dilemma last May and I chose the Minix U9. I wouldn't make the same choice today.

The U9 hasn't had a firmware update in over a year. It's still running Android 6. My box started rebooting itself in the middle of shows and it doesn't matter if I'm in Kodi or another program. I got some tech support and made a bunch of changes that didn't fix the problem. As I was out of warranty they wouldn't fix it for free, but they did offer to fix it and send it back if I paid the shipping and didn't mind being without it for a month or so. I declined so I can't tell you what the real fix would be.

The Minix remote that I have also changes my TV. When I push the up arrow, the TV changes channels and goes off of the Minx box. My volume down is mute on the TV and so on. I use my phone and the Kore app. I'm not sure if this is configurable or not.

I agree with the other poster to get a Google Certified box.

BTW: Don't get the Beelink GT-King. It's the fastest hardware on the market, but wouldn't work with my VPN, had several other issues and isn't certified.
what about the Mi Box. I though the minix was quite popular. guess not so much, it still is the one that the "Start Here" thread recommends though.

Are there any budget Boxes that would allow for downloading, online and offline streaming? or should I just go with certified ones?
(2019-08-03, 18:26)jimenez_e Wrote: what about the Mi Box. I though the minix was quite popular. guess not so much, it still is the one that the "Start Here" thread recommends though.

Are there any budget Boxes that would allow for downloading, online and offline streaming? or should I just go with certified ones?

One mans take (Not me): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

Note that the U9 is 26th on the list and that the Nvidia is #1. Like I said.. stay away from the GT-King.
(2019-08-03, 18:26)jimenez_e Wrote: what about the Mi Box. I though the minix was quite popular. guess not so much, it still is the one that the "Start Here" thread recommends though.

Read carefully, U9 was recommended for running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton mostly, not for use as a powerful Android device. It's not even Google Certified.

Quote:Are there any budget Boxes that would allow for downloading, online and offline streaming? or should I just go with certified ones?

Torrenting, Downloading = use a PC not an Android media player, you are asking for trouble, they are not designed for that at all.

Copy protected video streaming = Google Certified Android TV device. If you want Netflix it also has to be Netflix approved as well.

Most powerful device for that is the Nvidia Shield. It's basically the Swiss Army Knife of Android devices.

At the cheap end of the market the Google certified budget device is the MECOOL KM3. It's not Netflix approved, but will be snappier and have more storage vs the Xiaomi Mi Box.

Beelink GT King has Ethernet problems. As already advised stay away from it.

(2019-08-03, 17:31)Terry604 Wrote: I was in the same dilemma last May and I chose the Minix U9. I wouldn't make the same choice today.

The U9 hasn't had a firmware update in over a year. It's still running Android 6. My box started rebooting itself in the middle of shows

I'm almost certain you have a power pack / power supply problem, the U9 itself is likely fine.
Coincidently my U9 power pack failed completely this week after nearly 3
years of heavy (ab)use. Found another 2.0 Amp power pack with a compatible plug and the U9 sprang back to life.

Quote:The Minix remote that I have also changes my TV. When I push the up arrow, the TV changes channels and goes off of the Minx box. My volume down is mute on the TV and so on. I use my phone and the Kore app. I'm not sure if this is configurable or not.

Run CoreELEC Kodi on the U9 then HDMI CEC control on AML chipset devices is highly configurable. You could likely tape over your TV's IR port and use CEC control or simply get a much more responsive Wireless RF remote.
A cheap WeChip g20 remote would work.
The Wireless MINIX A2 lite remote has no such Interferance problems either.

Wow thanks Wrxtasy you are right U9 for LibrElec.

sounds like the Nvidia shield is a great option, but for the price I got to ask. Wouldn't it be better to just get a mini PC or cheap CPU with windows? 

Thanks and sorry for the many questions just nervous about spending that much and then regretting it.
(2019-08-03, 19:54)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-08-03, 17:31)Terry604 Wrote: I was in the same dilemma last May and I chose the Minix U9. I wouldn't make the same choice today.

The U9 hasn't had a firmware update in over a year. It's still running Android 6. My box started rebooting itself in the middle of shows

I'm almost certain you have a power pack / power supply problem, the U9 itself is likely fine.
Coincidently my U9 power pack failed completely this week after nearly 3
years of heavy (ab)use. Found another 2.0 Amp power pack with a compatible plug and the U9 sprang back to life.
Quote:The Minix remote that I have also changes my TV. When I push the up arrow, the TV changes channels and goes off of the Minx box. My volume down is mute on the TV and so on. I use my phone and the Kore app. I'm not sure if this is configurable or not.

Run CoreELEC Kodi on the U9 then HDMI CEC control on AML chipset devices is highly configurable. You could likely tape over your TV's IR port and use CEC control or simply get a much more responsive Wireless RF remote.
A cheap WeChip g20 remote would work.
The Wireless MINIX A2 lite remote has no such Interferance problems either. 
Support thought it was a power supply problem too. They even sent me a new one, but sadly it didn't make any difference.
(2019-08-03, 20:15)jimenez_e Wrote: Wow thanks Wrxtasy you are right U9 for LibrElec.

sounds like the Nvidia shield is a great option, but for the price I got to ask. Wouldn't it be better to just get a mini PC or cheap CPU with windows? 

Thanks and sorry for the many questions just nervous about spending that much and then regretting it.

Most small and cheap Windows PCs in the price range of the nVidia Shield TV are very underpowered, likely based on the old Atom rather than Core architecture. They play video OK mostly (but don't do HDR) but the rest of the experience is far from great, and the Windows UI is painful on a device connected to a TV.

The nVidia Shield TV is much snappier, easier to navigate, and does UHD HDR without even breaking a sweat.  There are some issues - no automatic refresh switching in Amazon and Netflix, and the most recent update that moved gamut/colour space switching from developer to mainstream menu access is apparently not functioning properly - but in terms of usability from a remote control on a TV, they are far better suited than Windows.  (The same is true of the Apple TV 4K)
Rule #1 - don't try and do everything on the one device.

Rule #2 - even though NAS (Network Access Storage) is initially expensive, it can work out as a much simpler setup for Networked media players and downloaded storage in the long term.
More modern LINUX NAS these days can run torrent programs, OTA Broadcasts TV servers, all sort of things. They are a type of Mini PC, and most well known brands are pretty user friendly.

Ruke #3 - That then frees you up to pick any sort of Networked Media player you like, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Amazon FireTV Stick, LibreELEC, CoreELEC, Vero 4k+, Windows device etc

(2019-08-05, 12:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Rule #1 - don't try and do everything on the one device.

Rule #2 - even though NAS (Network Access Storage) is initially expensive, it can work out as a much simpler setup for Networked media players and downloaded storage in the long term.
More modern LINUX NAS these days can run torrent programs, OTA Broadcasts TV servers, all sort of things. They are a type of Mini PC, and most well known brands are pretty user friendly.

Ruke #3 - That then frees you up to pick any sort of Networked Media player you like, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Amazon FireTV Stick, LibreELEC, CoreELEC, Vero 4k+, Windows device etc
Quote:Most small and cheap Windows PCs in the price range of the nVidia Shield TV are very underpowered, likely based on the old Atom rather than Core architecture. They play video OK mostly (but don't do HDR) but the rest of the experience is far from great, and the Windows UI is painful on a device connected to a TV.
Got it, so do you believe it is a reasonable idea to go with the Mecool KM3 and save up for a NAS? I would go for the Nvidia shield but much rather have an inexpensive tv box and get a NAS and maybe late upgrade the TV box. Where  I live the mecool is less than half the price of the Nvidia Shield (about 35% the price).

does that sound logical?

Thanks guys
(2019-08-05, 12:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Rule #1 - don't try and do everything on the one device.

👆THIS 👆 

I'd also go as far as to add a Rule 4.

Rule #4 - Consider whether you are best with two separate media player solutions - one for your DRM-ed streaming platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Viaplay, C More etc. etc.) and a separate one for local media playback, Live TV/PVR etc. in Kodi.
(2019-08-06, 15:06)noggin Wrote:

👆THIS 👆 

I'd also go as far as to add a Rule 4.

Rule #4 - Consider whether you are best with two separate media player solutions - one for your DRM-ed streaming platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Viaplay, C More etc. etc.) and a separate one for local media playback, Live TV/PVR etc. in Kodi. 
This is what I have done.
To save money I will keep my Minix U1 for Kodi, and use an Amazon fire stick for prime movies and tv shows (glad I kept the stick)
They both work perfectly on the same network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia shield vs Minix Neo u9-h0