Linux Struggling to get smooth video playback when using HD-audio passthrough on NVidia GPU
I recently switched from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 while also switching from AMD to an NVidia 970 GPU. While that happened I also upgraded to Kodi 18. After that I can no longer play HD audio with smooth video playback. Now it seems to lag and stutter enough to make it unwatchable. I've tried googling a bit, but there's just so much out there that it can be hard to find exactly the issue I'm having. The issue may seems to be caused by the switching of display refresh rate needed to get passthrough because without it everything is fine, but then of course I won't get passthrough.

Is this a known issue with a simple fix?
It seems I might have fixed it by changing the resolution setting on my Onkyo AVR from "1080p" to "Through". Not sure exactly what this does (presumably it just passes through whatever it gets without any fiddling), but it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm still open for any input if anyone knows a bit more of what might be going on though Smile I have to do some more testing though as the issue seemed to be coming and going at varying intervals, so I might just have been lucky when I tested it for 5 minutes just now.
Did some more testing and the issue is still there. Would really appreciate some help on this.
Please tell me if there's anything I can do to get help like providing logs etc
(2019-08-04, 17:42)bionor Wrote: Please tell me if there's anything I can do to get help like providing logs etc

Have u enabled refresh rates? 1080p 23.297/24/25 and so on? Othervise default refreshrate will be used
(2019-08-04, 23:18)malacai Wrote: Have u enabled refresh rates? 1080p 23.297/24/25 and so on? Othervise default refreshrate will be used 

I do not believe I've done anything like that. Is that with the video card driver you mean? The refresh rate do appear to change when the video starts. It's almost like it goes in and out of sync somehow though.
Any help at all would be appreciated
@bionor

I'll move you to the Linux forum and maybe more linux users will see your post.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-09, 00:55)Karellen Wrote: @bionor

I'll move you to the Linux forum and maybe more linux users will see your post.

Okay thanks!
Start with your Debug Log please. Without it, only speculation is possible.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Done. https://paste.kodi.tv/anobuqepes.kodi
If you disable kodi's DTS-HD capability in the settings, everything is smooth or still the issue with that file?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-08-09, 12:50)fritsch Wrote: If you disable kodi's DTS-HD capability in the settings, everything is smooth or still the issue with that file?

Still there and with any video file as long as the "Adjust display refresh rate" setting is enabled.
Not sure if this is relevant, but after I enabled debug I can see the FPS and when playing the video it hovers around 59.5 and 60.5, but I believe the video is actually 24fps or around there as is usual for movies.
Quote:2019-08-09 12:30:57.069 T:140185808679872  NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @ 23.98Hz (22) (weight: 0.000)

Odd, it should not have more FPS during videoplayback as you see here.

Try LibreELEC from and USB-Stick I don't see any obvious in your log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struggling to get smooth video playback when using HD-audio passthrough on NVidia GPU0