Souping Up a Lenovo M93P Tiny for 4K
it should definitely lower them, I ended up moving the 4790s into my dell 9020 usff and putting an i5 4670(84w tdp!) with the same settings and it seems to obey the limit
just make sure you completely remove intel xtu and reboot before installing throttlestop(if you already have throttlestop installed, consider reinstalling from scratch)

I found throttlestop seemed to only work properly after intel xtu was completely removed from the system
always use hwinfo to confirm voltage offsets too, should show whether throttlestop is working or not
I use occt to confirm power usage(will flatline with a package power usage of 52w)
I've also joined the forum just because this seems to be the only real place that I can find these Chinese conversion chips being discussed. Hopefully you guys that have messed with them can help a bit. I have a M73 Tiny and I bought one of the Magic Reform i7-4870HQ. I saw that earlier posts mentioned this working for someone else. I'm running the latest version 85 BIOS for my Thinkcentre. When I install the i7, it shows up correctly in the BIOS and is identified. The only issue that I can find is that it gives an error that there is no microcode update available. Did anyone else that tested one of these chips run into that? Anyway, when I try to boot an SSD with Windows, the system hangs on the black Lenovo splash screen. If I try to boot from a Windows 10 installer USB, it will boot to the Windows Splash screen with the loading dots, but never goes any further. Makes it seem like something is wrong. However if I boot to an Ubuntu Live USB, everything boots normally and I can use the system. I'm really not sure what's going on. I swapped back to the original i5 chip and Windows boots normally. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think that I just ended up with a bad i7 CPU? Really strange considering that it will boot to Linux. I'm wondering if there is some BIOS setting or version that I'm not aware of. I am using a 90 watt PSU btw.
(2021-01-21, 02:15)Jbbrack03 Wrote: I've also joined the forum just because this seems to be the only real place that I can find these Chinese conversion chips being discussed. Hopefully you guys that have messed with them can help a bit. I have a M73 Tiny and I bought one of the Magic Reform i7-4870HQ. I saw that earlier posts mentioned this working for someone else. I'm running the latest version 85 BIOS for my Thinkcentre. When I install the i7, it shows up correctly in the BIOS and is identified. The only issue that I can find is that it gives an error that there is no microcode update available. Did anyone else that tested one of these chips run into that? Anyway, when I try to boot an SSD with Windows, the system hangs on the black Lenovo splash screen. If I try to boot from a Windows 10 installer USB, it will boot to the Windows Splash screen with the loading dots, but never goes any further. Makes it seem like something is wrong. However if I boot to an Ubuntu Live USB, everything boots normally and I can use the system. I'm really not sure what's going on. I swapped back to the original i5 chip and Windows boots normally. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think that I just ended up with a bad i7 CPU? Really strange considering that it will boot to Linux. I'm wondering if there is some BIOS setting or version that I'm not aware of. I am using a 90 watt PSU btw.

I have the same issue with my M73 Tiny and i7-4950HQ. Looks like no microcode updates are included with the built-in bios. I was researching to include the microcode for CPUID 40661 within the bios update, and it is possible with either UBU tool or MMtool Aptio 5.0.0.7. A microcode bin file has to be downloaded and then injected to bios update. The further step is SPI programming since bios protection has to be overridden, but there are two chips on the motherboard: one with 8mb storage and another with 4mb storage capacity. The original bios has to be backed up from both of these chips and then the modified bios with updated microcode has to be split in two parts identical to the ones backed up by SPI programmer. After splitting modified bios you will have to write it back onto those two chips.

It is a theory, but I do have the modified bios version 85 with patched microcode 40661 for i7-4xxxHQ CPUs.

Now waiting for a SPI programmer to arrive to start experimenting.

Strange thing is that I can easily boot into Windows / Linux / Hackintosh, but I do get the same beeping warning about missing processor microcode update… and that is the thing I want to get rid off.

Please, give a feedback, if you were successful with modifying the bios to support 40661 CPUID’s microcode😉
(2020-03-05, 03:00)DJ_Izumi Wrote: A CAD$736 Lenovo mini PC, hooked up to a CAD$45 adapter, hooked up to a CAD$15 Sony Trinitron TV, to play a CAD$60 BluRay of a 33 year old anime. I'm living my best life here.

This series kimagure orange road make me image to maison ikkoku Tongue
Can some one please advise, I purchased a M93P tiny come with I5-4570T, which is running OK. I rcently upgraded the CPU to I7-4785T, but could not get it working reliable and continuous, it reboots every once a while, and the tiny pc runs hot. putting back the I5 stopped the issue. I just wonder if M93P has a thermal module only designed to cool I5 CPU but not I7. any solution for me to make my PC work with I7 stably like tweaking the BIOS seting on max TDP temperature or finding a better thermal module etc?
machine type : 10AB
Model Number: 0010US
This aint gonna help but one of my home office pc is a ‘m93p with i7-4765t (this was how it came). Never had a hitch, so it should handle the 4785t as well. The fan could be a quieter tho.
Soli.
Thanks for your reply. I wonder what your BIOS version is? are you able to figure it for me? I want install the bios as your tiny PC with I7 and see what happen.
It was after all a 4785T. Just copying from Speccy:
Motherboard
    Manufacturer    LENOVO
    Model    SHARKBAY (SOCKET 0)
    Version    SDK0E50510 WIN
    Chipset Vendor    Intel
    Chipset Model    Haswell
    Chipset Revision    06
    Southbridge Vendor    Intel
    Southbridge Model    Q87
    Southbridge Revision    C1
    System Temperature    43 °C
        BIOS
            Brand    LENOVO
            Version    FBKTE0AUS
            Date    23-Dec-21

CPU
        Intel Core i7 4785T
            Cores    4
            Threads    8
            Name    Intel Core i7 4785T
            Code Name    Haswell
            Package    Socket 1150 LGA
            Technology    22nm
            Specification    Intel Core i7-4785T CPU @ 2.20GHz
            Family    6
            Extended Family    6
            Model    C
            Extended Model    3C
            Stepping    3
            Revision    C0
            Instructions    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
            Virtualization    Supported, Enabled
            Hyperthreading    Supported, Enabled
            Fan Speed    1056 RPM
            Stock Core Speed    2200 MHz
            Stock Bus Speed    100 MHz
            Average Temperature    56 °C (Idle around 50, light work at around 55-57)
(2022-09-17, 00:22)gzmanus Wrote: Can some one please advise, I purchased a M93P tiny come with I5-4570T, which is running OK. I rcently upgraded the CPU to I7-4785T, but could not get it working reliable and continuous, it reboots every once a while, and the tiny pc runs hot. putting back the I5 stopped the issue. I just wonder if M93P has a thermal module only designed to cool I5 CPU but not I7. any solution for me to make my PC work with I7 stably like tweaking the BIOS seting on max TDP temperature or finding a better thermal module etc?
machine type : 10AB
Model Number: 0010US

I'm a little bit late, but my M93p has been doing great with an i7 4770S in it for over two years now, running 24/7. I have no heat or power issues, though it idles maybe 85% of the time. The 4770S is a 65w TDP cpu, but as discussed earlier in the thread the motherboard seems to limit current to 45w regardless of the cpu that is installed. I have a very old bios, version FBKT52AUS, date of 09/23/2013. The old bios doesn't cause me any problems, but I read that updating it can cause problems if you skip certain versions, even leading to a bricked board. So I leave mine alone and we're both happy.

So even an over-spec i7 works just fine. I have also seen several with 53w TDP cpus in them running for years and they do fine as well. I would begin to wonder if your i7 4785T is damaged or failing. Or perhaps your power supply is too small? I use a 110w Dell supply on my M93p just because I had one available and it ensures that there is plenty of current for any spikes or whatever. My other Tinys use 65w power supplies but they have the original i5 in them. Hope you get it figured out.
Tragically, the Most Powerful Lenovo M93P In The World has died.  Unsure if it's the mobo or CPU, but neither is worth replacing in 2023.  An entirely unremarkable but much better BeeLink SER6 6600H has been ordered to replace it.  Shame they don't make optical disc attachments for the BeeLinks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Souping Up a Lenovo M93P Tiny for 4K0