Souping Up a Lenovo M93P Tiny for 4K
(2020-07-20, 09:12)DrVlikhell Wrote: Hey, thanks for the reply! My main concern is not frying whatever voltage/current regulators that the motherboard is using to keep the CPU from using more than 45 watts. I know very little about current and voltage regulators, but I do know that you can over heat them and blow them up... sometimes. I also know of at least one person (likely many more too) that used a regular 54W i3 in their M93 and it ran fine for years. They have recently upgraded to a Xeon E3-1275L V3 and it's still running fine.

It's interesting that your CPU and iGPU fight for power when the whole package is rated at 47W while the Tiny can definitely deliver 45W, and your CPU is even undervolted. You'd think that you should be able to run at near 100% performance. How can you tell when your CPU is being throttled? I don't notice any indications except that the 4770S performs much lower in benchmarks than it did in a full ATX system, and of course I can watch the CPU package power in HWMonitor. But otherwise I don't notice any signs.

I get your concerns. For example, I'm pretty sure I recently killed an HP T730 thin client. This is a larger unit that has a PCIE slot inside for low profile, single slot cards. So I fixed a low profile Radeon RX 460 into. Yeah it did NOT like having a 50w GPU inside it. One 3D Gaming engaged it would 'blink out' and in testing, trying to bring down the TDP, I think I killed both the T730 itself and a 4GB stick of DDR3. =X

However in the case of intel CPUs, I'm pretty sure the TDP limit is controlled by the system and chip itself. It's not that the system can't PROVIDE more power, it's that it disallows TAKING more power. So the CPU is told '45w is what you get, you may not take more'. It's akin to Radeon Wattman or other functions where the system sets a limit and the hardware thus won't exceed that limit.

I've also read some threads on these Chinese hacked up mobile chips in desktop sockets that show that in a desktop overclocking board, where the TDP limits can be disabled, they run way faster and can even overclock amazingly. Basically a highly efficient mobile chip running with no restrictions showing just how far it can go.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Souping Up a Lenovo M93P Tiny for 4K - by DJ_Izumi - 2020-07-20, 16:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Souping Up a Lenovo M93P Tiny for 4K0