Why is "clean library" modal?
Why is the "clean library" operation for video and music modal (ie. a popup that blocks you from doing anything else) instead of a background operation similar to the "scan" operations? Just because it isn't normally used that often?
Answering for the music library, the cleaning process needs nothing else to change the database contents so that it can do big  checks to identify orphan records etc. Even during playback data gets updated e.g. playcount and ratings can be se. Kodi is using the databases even when you may not realise it, for example the video db is used even on non-library items for "watched" flag.  And yes since cleaning is something that does not need to happen every day (or even week) it is perfectly sensible design to make it modal rather than implement some more complex selective locking.
(2019-08-11, 08:53)DaveBlake Wrote: And yes since cleaning is something that does not need to happen every day (or even week) it is perfectly sensible design to make it modal rather than implement some more complex selective locking.
If you think about it, during cleanup locking is not terribly complex since the only database records that need to be altered/removed do not correspond to items that are playable, but I do get your point.
it's more a historic relic than anything. we can actually perform cleaning of the library in the background as parts of scans..
Yes some cleaning is simple and is already done in the background as part of scans, but deep cleaning needs more care. Doing it modaly is historic sure, and of course there are many things you could do at the same time without any consequnce e.g.  play a video while cleaning the music db, but it also means one less thing to think about and accidentally break.

If someone does have that time and skills to safely remove the modality then I'm tempted to say please take on one of the many more urgent dev tasks!
FWIW in Leia there are built-ins to clean just MVs, movies, or TV Shows.

scott s.
(2019-08-12, 10:39)spiff Wrote: it's more a historic relic than anything. we can actually perform cleaning of the library in the background as parts of scans..

and how is this done?
(2020-12-11, 00:49)billyrene Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 10:39)spiff Wrote: it's more a historic relic than anything. we can actually perform cleaning of the library in the background as parts of scans..

and how is this done?
nevermind. i found out if i put

<videolibrary>
       <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>

in the advancedsettings.xml it does the cleaning in the background after every library update

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is "clean library" modal?0