Get a separate device just for YouTube?
I currently use a Vero 4K as my Kodi hardware and an old Smart TV for various apps that I rarely use, but one thing I really miss is the official YouTube app.  It's just not the same with the unofficial app.  I am considering getting something cheap, like a Chromecast, a refurbished Fire Stick or a Roku stick just to get the full YouTube experience that's frequently updated by Google and has all the bug fixes and latest features.  Or maybe get a cheapo Chinese box with stock Android TV that would include the official app?  

I know it's redundant to have both the Vero and a separate hardware device, but I want the real deal with YouTube.  I also considered replacing the Vero with the Nvidia Shield but heard that the Shield was actually less capable than Vero in some respects for video playback.  What do people think?
Why not get a Chromecast Ultra?
(2019-08-10, 09:50)Knocks Wrote: I know it's redundant to have both the Vero and a separate hardware device, but I want the real deal with YouTube.  I also considered replacing the Vero with the Nvidia Shield but heard that the Shield was actually less capable than Vero in some respects for video playback.  What do people think?
Nvidia shield TV for me is far superior to the libreelec I had on a wetek play2.

Compared to vero never tried but by hardware being identified to wetek play2.
I agree. Wetek play 2 is a very weak product.
(2019-08-10, 09:50)Knocks Wrote: I know it's redundant to have both the Vero and a separate hardware device, but I want the real deal with YouTube.  I also considered replacing the Vero with the Nvidia Shield but heard that the Shield was actually less capable than Vero in some respects for video playback.  What do people think?
I use an Arnu Linux box for Kodi, and it's great for local media. However, for streaming services, it's not that great.

It's a sad fact that for all the grief about piracy streams created for Kodi, official support for commercial streaming services (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.) is pretty much non existent. What does exist is informal, and usually hacked together.

I've been running a generic Android MBox thing just for Netflix and Youtube, but the interface was a pain to use, because it's designed a swipe-based device like a phone or tablet, not a television.

I recently picked up an Amazon Fire stick just for Prime/YouTube/Netflix. It's not awesome, and I'd much prefer to have native Kodi support for those services, because I prefer the Kodi interface. However, it is workable, and it's a lot better than the Android box for those services. But more importantly, it's officially supported, so every time one of these services changes their back end, the front end is updated.
@billdehaan are you talking about Android or Android TV?  They are two separate platforms.
If you use their application, don't you get all those ads??

If so, why not just d/l (on a PC) the videos you may like to watch and load those into your player. A few more steps, but no ads and no annoying 'streaming' issues. Wink
(2019-08-10, 09:50)Knocks Wrote: I currently use a Vero 4K as my Kodi hardware and an old Smart TV for various apps that I rarely use, but one thing I really miss is the official YouTube app.  It's just not the same with the unofficial app.  I am considering getting something cheap, like a Chromecast, a refurbished Fire Stick or a Roku stick just to get the full YouTube experience that's frequently updated by Google and has all the bug fixes and latest features.  Or maybe get a cheapo Chinese box with stock Android TV that would include the official app?  

Get a cheap, often on sale Fire TV Stick 4K.

Sideload the SmartYouTube App, which will also give you 4K HDR YouTube. I believe you will eliminate YouTube Adverts with that combo:

https://firestickbuzz.com/youtube-firestick/

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get a separate device just for YouTube?0