Error: Operation not permitted
Yesterday I allowed Microsoft to apply a feature update to Win10 release 1903 on one of the PC's on my local network.  Now, when I try to access a media source on that PC from Kodi installed on another device on the same local network, i get the "Error: Operation not permitted" message.  Curiously, other PC's in the network can still access that computer via Windows Explorer - Network, and Plex installed on the same device as Kodi can also access the same media sources that Kodi now cannot.  I'm pulling my hair out.  I've checked all the Share permissions, SMBv1 enabled, network discovery turned on at all levels, etc., but haven't been able to find the solution.  BTW, the computer in question just uses the User account with no login password, and it is also running VPN, which has never been a problem in the past.  I even added a Registry Key to disable User Account Control remote restrictions and rebooted, but nothing has worked.  Any ideas?
SMBv2 requires a user account with a password, it also no longer supports network browsing. So the "Error: Operation not permitted" may be a clue.
Enabling SMBv1 is upholding the Swiss cheese "protection" that SMBv1 is. (Google for 'WannaCry'). Disable the VPN, it has nothing to do with Kodi anyway (see our VPN policy (wiki)).

Hacking your Windows registry is really outside the scope of this forum.
(2019-08-13, 18:26)Klojum Wrote: SMBv2 requires a user account with a password, it also no longer supports network browsing. So the "Error: Operation not permitted" may be a clue.
Enabling SMBv1 is upholding the Swiss cheese "protection" that SMBv1 is. (Google for 'WannaCry'). Disable the VPN, it has nothing to do with Kodi anyway (see our VPN policy (wiki)).

Hacking your Windows registry is really outside the scope of this forum.

Please understand I am not running VPN on the device where Kodi is installed (an Amazon Firestick 4K).  It just happens to be running (for other non-Kodi purposes) on the PC where some of my media sources are located.  And, I have no real wish to hack the Windows Registry anyway - it was just a suggestion I saw elsewhere, but it didn't make any difference.  Does Kodi use SMBv2?  How can I tell?  (I'm running Kodi Leia 18.3)  And, if it does, how do I make sure that is enabled on the media sources PC?

The strange thing is I have the NextPVR addon loaded in Kodi, and that can communicate with NextPVR on the PC just fine - it loads the channels, EPG, etc. all from NextPVR on the PC.  But, then when I try to access a media source, that's when I get the error.  Why would Kodi be able to communicate with the PC for some things but not others?
It's okay, I was just informing you of this forum's view on certain topics.

Override SMB settings for Kodi itself via System / Settings / Services / SMB Client / Minimum protocol version, and maybe enable the "Use legacy security", although that is not really recommended.

PVR stuff is 'not my department', but I can imagine that it uses its own network connections.
SOLVED!  I found that in 'Network and Sharing Center' / 'Advanced Sharing Settings', under 'All Networks' there is a category called 'Media Streaming', with a link called 'Choose media streaming options'.  Is this new?  I haven't seen it before.  When I click the link, it says "Media streaming is not turned on", and there is a button to "Turn on media streaming".  I clicked that, and then 'OK'

Also at the bottom, there is a category called 'Password protected sharing'.  The default was 'Turn on password protected sharing.'  I changed it to 'Turn off password protected sharing' and then clicked 'Save Changes' at the bottom.

Kodi was then able to access the media sources on the PC again, perfectly OK as before the Microsoft update.

I'm still at a loss to understand why Plex was able to access those media sources when Kodi couldn't, but the problem is resolved now.  Thanks for your time, and I hope this helps someone else.
(2019-08-13, 18:20)Galaxy266 Wrote: Yesterday I allowed Microsoft to apply a feature update to Win10 release 1903 on one of the PC's on my local network.  Now, when I try to access a media source on that PC from Kodi installed on another device on the same local network, i get the "Error: Operation not permitted" message.  Curiously, other PC's in the network can still access that computer via Windows Explorer - Network, and Plex installed on the same device as Kodi can also access the same media sources that Kodi now cannot.  I'm pulling my hair out.  I've checked all the Share permissions, SMBv1 enabled, network discovery turned on at all levels, etc., but haven't been able to find the solution.  BTW, the computer in question just uses the User account with no login password, and it is also running VPN, which has never been a problem in the past.  I even added a Registry Key to disable User Account Control remote restrictions and rebooted, but nothing has worked.  Any ideas?
It might not have the right to read the files or change permissions on the files. Theerror clearly indicates that syncthing is not allowed to do something. You might want to check ignore permissions flag on the folder. Yes, it's because the file has a different owner than the user running syncthing.
This may help you : https://docsbay.net/operation-not-permit...ion-failed
I think it happens for various reasons, even with the tweaks. In my case, I used all possible SMB settings, turned on media streaming, turned off passwords, used IP addresses for the sources, etc., and the same problems take place:

- Kodi keeps asking for a password for all shares;

- Kodi asks for a password for some of the shares; and

- all shares can be read, but sometimes not all until I wait a while or boot the media player box or boot the PC.

Sometimes, similar happens with FTP: all shares can be read but once in a while, and with or without the library updating in the background, a file can't be played (playback failed). But if I wait a while or boot the device and/or the server, the problem disappears. The hardware's fine, with everything running gigabit and all devices showing 200 Mbps for UL/DL.

I'm guessing that there's no problem with Kodi but that the server sometimes doesn't send information right away, especially if many hard drives are involved, or if some of the shares are found in external drives connected to the server via USB, even faster USB 3. Sometimes, I think when there are many shares, the problem takes place for the latter ones in the list; again, the problem disappears when I try again after a minute or two or reboot.

Maybe others don't experience these problems because they have fewer drives or use dedicated servers with drives attached internally. Unfortunately, those are very expensive for me.

Given that, I wonder if there's a way for Kodi to wait a bit or retry as the server sends info.
This is a strange one.  I've had KODI working for years with my Macintosh server.  I had a problem with the server the other day and had to restore from backup.  Unfortunately, the backup was just before I switched to KODI Matrix and needed the password setup.  I had created an account just for sharing that worked fine doing that.  So I recreated it, etc. etc. and I keep getting "Operation No Permitted".  I just connected from my old Macbook Pro using SMB to the local address and the name and password for that account and it worked perfectly fine while KODI keeps giving me the Operation Not Permitted error (with the same setup that worked fine before).  

Here's the kicker.  If I add a new network location using the old server name (which seems to date back to when I used a 3rd party SMB setup called SMBup) and add the same credentials to that sharing account, it comes up just fine in KODI.  If I use the numerical 192.168.1.x address, it gives the OPERATION NOT PERMITTED error.  I don't get it.  The Mac even says it can connect from that numerical address and it works from another Mac and used to work fine from this same computer (whose backup was about 1.5 years ago; I didn't do much but software updates since then other than apparently this password change) so why is KODI crapping its pants?  

The real problem for me is my entire movie, TV and music databases are centered around that numerical address and I have a lot of customization (naming changes for director's cut or Atmos titles etc.) and I really don't want to have to rebuild the entire library because of that (otherwise, I might as well just switch to NFS while I'm at it).  Is there a way to substitute the name in advancedsettings.xml or something to get around it?  Any ideas why it's rejecting the numerical address?

EDIT: I figured it out.  The password I gave to the sharing user didn't match the old one (which I found by reading the password.xml file) as I apparently remembered incorrectly from memory and it wasn't on the backup of the OSX partition since that was added a couple of months later.  Apparently, you can't just replace the entry by deleting and adding a new network location.  Maybe there should be a more direct way to edit these in KODI?  In any case, changing back to the old password fixed it.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2019-08-13, 19:52)Galaxy266 Wrote: SOLVED!  I found that in 'Network and Sharing Center' / 'Advanced Sharing Settings', under 'All Networks' there is a category called 'Media Streaming', with a link called 'Choose media streaming options'.  Is this new?  I haven't seen it before.  When I click the link, it says "Media streaming is not turned on", and there is a button to "Turn on media streaming".  I clicked that, and then 'OK'

Also at the bottom, there is a category called 'Password protected sharing'.  The default was 'Turn on password protected sharing.'  I changed it to 'Turn off password protected sharing' and then clicked 'Save Changes' at the bottom.

Kodi was then able to access the media sources on the PC again, perfectly OK as before the Microsoft update.

I'm still at a loss to understand why Plex was able to access those media sources when Kodi couldn't, but the problem is resolved now.  Thanks for your time, and I hope this helps someone else.
Hi there. I am running into this issue on Kodi for Chromecast (Google TV), but can't find the "network and sharing center" on it. Did you mean this is a Windows setting? If so, I don't see it on Windows 11. The password protected sharing is already off and VLC for Android has been able to play the PC files, except it can't decode H265 files. Hoping Kodi could pull it off, but it says operation not permitted. Thx
(2023-04-03, 12:48)supermann Wrote: Hi there. I am running into this issue on Kodi for Chromecast (Google TV), but can't find the "network and sharing center" on it. Did you mean this is a Windows setting? If so, I don't see it on Windows 11. The password protected sharing is already off and VLC for Android has been able to play the PC files, except it can't decode H265 files. Hoping Kodi could pull it off, but it says operation not permitted. Thx

you are talking about 3 different things in your post and it seems youve replied to an old post about windows but youre talking about chromecast decoding h265

make sure your chromecast can decode h265, not all can - https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

operation not permitted is a file access error not a playback error - windows 11 has disabled guest access to smb https://pureinfotech.com/windows-11-pro-...ork-shares

yes, network and sharing center is a windows thing - https://www.easeus.com/knowledge-center/...enter.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error: Operation not permitted0