Buffering on a home (windows) network
Hi,

Do you know what could cause buffering in Kodi on a Windows home network?  Pretty simple setup... I have a 'server in the basement with all my files on it and I'm sharing them.  These are uncompressed blu-ray files that it happens mostly on but Plex seems to play them fine (I don't think it's transcoding since it's a local network).  Plex is on a different machine, by the way.  When this happens, my CPU usage, memory and hard drive usage look fine in task manager.  Ran a chkdsk on the HD, seems fine.  Other files play fine from the same HD except uncompressed bluray files.  The HD should be more than capable.

Windows 7 - 64bit
Core2Duo 6700 2.67GHz
8GBs of memory
1Gb ethernet
Playing the file locally have any issues? if no then bandwidth/network issues. if yes, would point at something like DRM.

A proper debug log Log file/Advanced (wiki) might show the issue, using the keyboard OSD while playing a video will help show up the bottle necks.
What type of clients are you using? A while ago I bought a Xiaomi Mi Box S and I noticed that playing a simple slide show of all my pictures is fairly impossible, since it takes minutes and minutes to start up...And those are all files on my local network.
If I use Kodi on one of the Windows clients and do the same thing, it flies!
Never tried playing the file locally, but if it worked that wouldn't really narrow things down.  That would determine that it could be the network, the server, the hard drive on the server... ect...  I don't think it's a network issue since Plex works fine, (if Plex is not transcoding it.  I need to look at the processes on the server when I'm playing it).  It's also a 1Gb network.  But thanks.

I'm using a full PC (specs listed above) in the living room with the latest Kodi.  No dedicated video card, but the PC is capable of playing uncompressed blu-ray. 

I'll try to create a log this weekend and post it here.

Thanks,
(2019-08-17, 16:29)thearm Wrote: That would determine that it could be the network, the server, the hard drive on the server... ect...
That's how it works... stomping one issue at a time to sift out the problem. A proper debug log puts more eyes on the issue, should an Eureka moment happen.
(2019-08-17, 16:29)thearm Wrote: network issue since Plex works fine, (if Plex is not transcoding it. 
Apples & Oranges
(2019-08-17, 16:29)thearm Wrote: I'm using a full PC (specs listed above) in the living room with the latest Kodi.  No dedicated video card, but the PC is capable of playing uncompressed blu-ray. 
Ah, the specs were referring to the client...
(2019-08-18, 20:30)Plantje Wrote:
(2019-08-17, 16:29)thearm Wrote: I'm using a full PC (specs listed above) in the living room with the latest Kodi.  No dedicated video card, but the PC is capable of playing uncompressed blu-ray. 
Ah, the specs were referring to the client... 
Sorry for the delay...

The client Spec's are typically want people want when troubleshooting (in my experience).  My fault. The server perfectly capable and the specs are:

Core 2 6700
8GBs of memory
Windows 7 64-bit (very clean install)

The drive this data is located on is connected to the onboard Nvidia nForce controller (motherboard GA-N680SLI-DQ6)

The log will be uploaded to https://paste.kodi.tv/
Sorry for the double post but it won't let me edit my existing post.  Here is the log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/etetarucuk.kodi
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Here you go.  It just happened twice near the end of the log:  https://paste.kodi.tv/colizidoti.kodi
You missed one:

Code:
2019-09-05 12:50:59.200 T:7164  NOTICE: ADDON: plugin.video.projectfreetv v2.2.1 installed
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-09-05, 19:35)DarrenHill Wrote: You missed one:
Code:
2019-09-05 12:50:59.200 T:7164 NOTICE: ADDON: plugin.video.projectfreetv v2.2.1 installed
Thanks.  Here you go: https://paste.kodi.tv/yoyunobuma.kodi
(2019-09-05, 20:09)thearm Wrote:
(2019-09-05, 19:35)DarrenHill Wrote: You missed one:
Code:
2019-09-05 12:50:59.200 T:7164 NOTICE: ADDON: plugin.video.projectfreetv v2.2.1 installed
Thanks.  Here you go: https://paste.kodi.tv/yoyunobuma.kodi 
Not sure what the issue is?
(2019-09-16, 00:34)thearm Wrote: Not sure what the issue is?
projectfree.tv is an add-on that is banned in this forum as it allows access to copyright infringing content. We do not provide support for Kodi installations that contain Banned Add-ons (wiki).

Clean your system to remove it, which you tried but missed the one DarrenHill highlighted.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-09-16, 00:36)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-16, 00:34)thearm Wrote: Not sure what the issue is?
projectfree.tv is an add-on that is banned in this forum as it allows access to copyright infringing content. We do not provide support for Kodi installations that contain Banned Add-ons (wiki).

Clean your system to remove it, which you tried but missed the one DarrenHill highlighted.

I think he was trying to say that he removed the banned add-ons (including the free TV reference), then posted an updated log but hasn’t received an answer since. So now he is wondering if people cannot narrow down the problem even with a clean log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering on a home (windows) network0